R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed12v system not working, R-POD 180

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12v system not working, R-POD 180
    Posted: 16 May 2021 at 10:51am
Originally posted by TariS

Did you ever crack this problem?  We have a 178 with battery drain issues I am struggling with.

There are several things that are 12V and always on, !ike the 'fridge controls, CO2 and Propane detector(s), thermostat, radio/c!ock, .... Mine will drain the battery in about 2 weeks without a power source. I have a 25 watt solar panel hooked to the battery, and it will just about keep the battery up with all it its base loads. Fifty watts probably would. So, I keep my battery disconnect switch off and the little panel hooked up when in storage.

How old is your battery? Their capacity Dec!ones with age and use, shortening the time to "dead".
John
'16 R-Pod 180
flgbanjo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 4:36pm
Turns out my solution last time didn't work this time! Brought it back out of storage from two weeks ago, once again, no 12v unless I plug it into the tow vehicle or the house.  Unplugged and re-plugged the fuses back in and no luck this time. I'll keep troubleshooting. If I find out what fixes this, I'll let you all know!
campman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 4:55pm
Dang! I was hoping you had it taken care of. Thanks for getting back to us, I know I will be watching and hoping it is something as simple as loose battery post connections...they are tight, right? Maybe smear a bit of dielectric grease on the connections to hold the corrosion off..not the answer for you but a good idea anyways.

Hmm, are you sure your battery is good? Load tested at a shop to confirm serviceability?

When I was working on military aircraft I was taught to divide the system having an issue in halves (if the answer isn't apparent), test and continue halving the system to steadily reduce the size of the problem.

Everything working from TV and shore power eliminates much more than a half! Working through it in my head...if it isn't your heavy duty, deep cycle battery, all that is left is aft (errr, I mean behind) your battery and at or forward of your fuses/breakers...may be some loose connections at the breakers or are there connections between that need tightening?

Good luck!

Andy
Andy and Laurie
'16 F150 5.0 4X4 w/factory tow pkg
'21 RP192
"If the women don't find you handsome...at least let them find you handy!"
Red-Green
campman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 5:02pm
Okay, I read your write up again...did you disconnect your battery while it was parked for 2 weeks? If no, that would drain your battery as others here have already mentioned. This will damage your battery for sure. Did you use the battery disconnect if so equipped? If you have a battery disconnect, that could be the problem area. Check for power on both sides to see if it has failed. I think another contributor (Stephenh) mentioned they can fail.

That is all I can think of for now, have a good one.

Andy
Andy and Laurie
'21 RP192
Red-Green
flgbanjo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 5:35pm
Thanks everyone! Yes, I have a battery disconnect switch wired in and can confirm it worked last time. Turn off, 12v off. Turn on, it worked fine. Put it away for two weeks with the switch off, when to bring it out today and no power.   I'll double check the post connections (good idea to check those!) but last time they were pretty solid.  I had tested with a voltmeter at the junctions under the trailer past the 12v cut off switch last time and had power.  I'll keep looking! So frustrating!  I run through things again.
campman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 6:37pm
Did you happen to test your battery before you hooked up shore power to see if your battery was dead after the two weeks of sitting. Load testing is different then voltage testing. Again, grasping at straws...wire connections where the 12 volt battery power comes into the electrical system at the fuse/cb box?

Andy
Andy and Laurie
'21 RP192
Red-Green
flgbanjo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 7:24pm
Haven’t load tested them. What’s interesting is if I test at the batteries I see 12.88v, but if I test at the solar plug in on the side which theoretically goes doorway to the batteries I get 0.38, so something is wrong. Having it plugged int to shore power for four hours and unplugging didn’t make a difference, no 12v power after unplugging shore.
campman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 8:07pm
You metered the solar plug in the outside wall where you would plug in a solar panel...I would think that you shouldn't get an electrical reading there...I believe there would be a diode (amongst other electrical controls) in the line to the battery at a minimum to prevent the batteries from reversing the flow and feeding power to the solar panel.

It makes sense there is no power indication at the solar plug if I did understand you correctly.

12.88 volts is what I would consider a fully charged battery, which is 12.9 volts...Again, this only indicates volts, and is not a load test. We can't load test it by using electrical items on your trailer right now.

Question, is there 12v from the battery reaching your circuit breaker/fuse box.

The search for where the 12 volt electricity from the battery is being interrupted continues.

Maybe you have a bad ground issue where your battery is grounded? A bad battery ground might cause this? Throwing darts on this thought, sorry.
Andy and Laurie
'21 RP192
Red-Green
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 6:50am
There isn't a diode in the line to the solar port from the battery, and you don't need one. Those wires run straight to the batteru. The solar charge controller will take care of any potential reverse current flow at night. So something is wrong on that line too. If you're not using solar just leave those two wires disconnected at the battery for now while you focus on getting 12v back operating the trailer.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
flgbanjo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 10:29am
That’s one of the reasons I’m so confused, the solar port lines go direct so I should get voltage on the port. I have in the past just fine. Working on it today!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>