R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed12v system not working, R-POD 180

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12v system not working, R-POD 180
    Posted: 28 Apr 2021 at 8:20pm
I've done some Googling and haven't figured this out yet. 2 6v batteries in series, they've been on trickle charge over the winter. Hooked up to my 180 and none of the 12v system works (lights, hitch lift, etc).  If I plug in our vehicle via the hitch power hookup, everything works like a charm. If I plug into shore power, everything works great.  Just not with the batteries. If I multimeter the batteries their combined voltage is 12.7, so they should be ok.  If I check for voltage at the solar hookup on the side, it's 0.  I know they talk about manual reset boxes under the frame that the 12v system goes through. Looking around I can't find manual resets (with the little black button). I see a gang of three little grey boxes underneath near the front with the red leads going through them, but none of them have reset buttons. I looked and felt around on them. Just for grins I stuck my multimeter on the various nuts of the little boxes and was getting voltage.

It seems to me there has to be a reset some place in line between the batteries and the main circuits.  I checked the auto fuses and the circuit breaker and they're fine, since the shore power and vehicle power all work.  I'm sure this is a simple problem and I just haven't figured it out yet.  Do any 180 owners know where the manual breaker resets might be located, if indeed we have any? 

Help!  Thank you oh great community!
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2021 at 10:13pm
Is there a cut-off switch that is turned off? Is it possible the batteries were connected in reverse polarity? That would blow the two 40A fuses toward the center of the power panel. Ensure the batteries are connected with the correct polarity and check the two fuses.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
flgbanjo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2021 at 10:24pm
Thanks for the reply!  Cut off switch is turned on.  Batteries are connected correctly, negative on first connected to positive on second, black lead to second battery negative and positive lead to first battery positive.  I checked the two 40A fuses in the panel and they looked fine.  If the fuses had blown, wouldn't nothing get power from the car connection at the hitch?  My confusion is that I get 12v power from the car hitch connection and from the shore power (from the converter I assume) so the fuse bays would be good. I reset all the circuit breakers in the panel just to be sure, and made sure the gfi was set, but that's 110v not 12v.

jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 7:02am
I had this happen once in the past many years ago with similar symptoms which you describe; turned out to be a loose battery connection.  Check your battery posts, clean off any corrosion on both the terminal as well as the line that goes to your pod and tighten with a wrench, finger tight won't cut it.

Also, check all your 12v fuses by looking to see if any red lights are lit at your box that contains breakers (120 side) and fuses (12v side).  If lit, replace, as they are toast.

Lastly, go to your converter box and make sure your connections from the 12v wires are snug and tight.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 9:21am
On mine when I had the dual 6V batteries connected, I had Red to positive lead on first battery. Jumper negative on first battery to positive on second battery. White to negative on second battery. No issues with it. I agree that you should check your battery connections and make sure they are not corroded and are tight. I am assuming you did check the electrolyte level in the batteries and topped it off with distilled water as needed.

You say the 40A fuses look fine. Did you pull them out and test them with a meter? Also, it could be that you have a defective battery cut-off switch. Bypass that and connect directly and see if that makes a difference.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
flgbanjo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 7:53pm
Thanks to everyone's replies!  Looks like it must have been one of the 40amp fuses (I guess?) I pulled them out today and checked them visually and with a meter and both were fine. I put them back in.  I then on a lark went out and disconnected shore power and the vehicle wasn't connected, and low and behold all the lights work, hitch lift works, radio comes on, etc. Something not seated right or something I guess. Glad it wasn't expensive!  Have a great travel season you all!
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 9:45pm
Could have been a slightly corroded connection for the fuse. In any case, I am glad things are working. Keep in mind the cut-off switch. I have heard of them going bad, especially the ones with the removable key. If you look in my mods, you will see the type I got. It has been reliable with no issues. I can't say the same for some of the other types. I have heard of them going bad.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
TariS View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 9:58am
Did you ever crack this problem?  We have a 178 with battery drain issues I am struggling with.
flgbanjo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 10:53am
I fixed it by taking out the 40A fuses and putting them back in!  I wish I could say I did something technical or stumbled across the magic fix, but it was as simple as that and I just assume it wasn't seated properly or was a little corroded or something.  
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 10:19pm
TariS.  Please describe your battery drain issues.  We are here to help.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>