R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAxle Problem 2015 182G

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Axle Problem 2015 182G
    Posted: 03 May 2021 at 11:06am
Hi fellow Rpod owners,

I bought a 2015 Rpod 182g used from original owner 3 years back. After my last trip I noticed the driver side wheel/tire camber is very toed in up at the top. Negative camber. The inside edge of the tire is so badly worn I need to replace them. However it looks like axle is shot to me as I don’t know what else would cause the camber to be off so badly. The dry sticker weight of my pod is just over 3,000lbs.

Where can I find info about the specs of my axle and finding a replacement? I have a trip coming up and need to order new parts. I can do the work myself. Is there a better upgraded axle people are putting on the pods since this one didn’t last at all?

I’ll get some measurements off of the axle tonight.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 11:23am
Your problem is pretty common and is usually caused by the inboard mounting of the axle to the rpod frame, which results in the axle being cantilevered.

There should be a sticker on the axle with model and serial number. Most are manufactured by Lippert.

You can upgrade from a 3500 lb to a 4400 lb axle. The brake back plate to back plate dimension, the mounting spacing, and the takeoff angle of the torsion arms need to match what you have.

Note that the heavier axle has 6 lugs so you will need new wheels as well as tires. You can go with 15 inch wheels but you will need an able riser kit if you don't already have one.

Edit: if you have a good trailer shop in your area you could consider getting your current axle straightened and then reinforce it, assuming it's the diamond axle tube that's bent. A simple reinforcement is to ubolt a 2x2 steel angle under the existing axle, using 2 ubolts at each end each at 45 degrees. The angle should be slightly crowned to mate up to the axle which should be also be crowned in the center. I did the reinforcement on mine before it got bent. If you do an advanced search you should find my posting.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 9:11am
When I first saw 'my' issue, I also thought it was the axle. I went under to string the axle and check camber and found the real issue. I had frame damage and the slide side wall fell. If you haven't yet, do go under and throughly inspect. Issue at the frame is where the axle support is mounted. Look for buckling or cracks.
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 10:30am
+1. Definitely check from frame damage too while you're under there. But negative camber indicates a bent axle, I don't think a frame failure alone would cause that. Doesn't mean you can't have both at once if you hit a curb or pothole hard when heavily loaded.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Blitzkrieg3002 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 10:47am
So i've taken some measurements.  I've looked into a Dexter #10 axle.  it's also a 3500.  their next highest axle is a #11 which is a 4100-6000lb axle.  the #10 seems to be the choice for my pod.  it's dry weight on the sticker is 3044lbs, and GVWR 3862lbs.  I think i'm regularly loaded over 3500lbs and close to GVWR once everything is in their.  The Dexter 3500 looks like its rated for 2300-4000lbs I believe so i think it would be my choice.  

I'm trying to figure out a few measurements for replacing an axle.  When i measure for my spindle starting angle do i need to measure it with the pod jacked up and the tire off the ground? as it sits with weight on it, it looks like it rests at about 20-30degree's up eyeballing it.  My choices for starting angle are 0 degree, 10 degree's up or 22.5 degree's up.

No signs of any frame damage from what i see.  I do have the risers installed.

Also, does the rpod run a 5x4.5" bolt pattern?
Toyanvil View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 12:44pm
There is a difference between a bent axle and one that has lost it's camber. If your axle is flat across the middle it is a good chance it has just lost camber and can be realigned. Overloading is normally what causes this, and most people don't weigh their trailers and just go by the factory decal. My 178 shows something like 2750 lbs on the factory decal, but weighs 3200 lbs at the scales ready to camp. So am only 300 lbs under the max axle rating, add in a WDH adding around 100 lbs to the axle, bad roads and extra water in the tanks and your axle will flatten out over time. Remember the math, I keep my trailer under 3400 total lbs at all times and try to slow down for bumps.
Just look around for a good frame or trailer shop in your town and have them align it, It's like having your car aligned. I see people buying new axles and it will just happen again. A 5000 lbs axle will start new problems you didn't need, and will be a lot more money.
This is the problem with the way R Pods are built, your axle is 89.5 inches from center of hub to center of hub and 59.25 inches frame mount to frame mount = 15 inches of over hang on each side, the R Pod frame should have been about 15 inches wider making it only 7.5 inch over hang. If you call any axle company and tell them you are building a trailer with frame rails 59.25 inches apart and you want hubs 89.5 inches apart they well tell you don't do it. That is why I did this two years ago with no more problems. Here is how I fixed my 178, P.S there are easier ways to do it on this site.

before

After 

marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 2:02pm
This is how I solved my problem

If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 2:14pm
You can see in my mods how I solved the problem.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by marwayne

This is how I solved my problem

I really like your setup.  do you have a writeup on what you did? looks pretty straight forward.  Just have to find a place to order the metal.  Is the angle piece that pushes on the axle just angle iron welded to a threaded stud?  and is that just a 2" piece of square tube 1/4" thick that runs the length of the middle of the pod and then bolted to the custom made alignment stubs with the same square tubing bolted through the riser?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by Toyanvil

There is a difference between a bent axle and one that has lost it's camber. If your axle is flat across the middle it is a good chance it has just lost camber and can be realigned. Overloading is normally what causes this, and most people don't weigh their trailers and just go by the factory decal. My 178 shows something like 2750 lbs on the factory decal, but weighs 3200 lbs at the scales ready to camp. So am only 300 lbs under the max axle rating, add in a WDH adding around 100 lbs to the axle, bad roads and extra water in the tanks and your axle will flatten out over time. Remember the math, I keep my trailer under 3400 total lbs at all times and try to slow down for bumps.
Just look around for a good frame or trailer shop in your town and have them align it, It's like having your car aligned. I see people buying new axles and it will just happen again. A 5000 lbs axle will start new problems you didn't need, and will be a lot more money.
This is the problem with the way R Pods are built, your axle is 89.5 inches from center of hub to center of hub and 59.25 inches frame mount to frame mount = 15 inches of over hang on each side, the R Pod frame should have been about 15 inches wider making it only 7.5 inch over hang. If you call any axle company and tell them you are building a trailer with frame rails 59.25 inches apart and you want hubs 89.5 inches apart they well tell you don't do it. That is why I did this two years ago with no more problems. Here is how I fixed my 178, P.S there are easier ways to do it on this site.

before

After 

Looks awesome! I'm digging it.  My axle is actually bowed up in the middle under the center of the rpod and not flat.  I'm thinking it's exactly what you stated and that the edges of the axle have just bowed up slightly due to the mounting bracket location.  I was originally thinking of ordering a new Dexter axle and widening the mounting location with some 4" 3/8 thick angle iron and 3 big gussets.  but these fixes look a lot cheaper and potentially better as you have an added ability to adjust the camber.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>