R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAxle Problem 2015 182G

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Axle Problem 2015 182G
    Posted: 05 May 2021 at 12:23pm
axle reinforcement

I will defer to Toyanvil on whether or not you need to remove the axle to straighten it. Mine wasn't bent, I reinforced it preventatively knowing I have a heavy rpod and was taking it on some rough roads.

Since as you've described your axle it's bent pretty badly on one side and not at all on the other I would recommend taking it to a shop with experience doing this type if repair.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Toyanvil View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2021 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by Blitzkrieg3002

Awesome! You think any old alignment shop will do this? Or need to find one that specializes in trailer alignments? I may be able to do it myself actually at my fathers shop. I think if they won’t cover the new axle I’m going to try this myself.

Look for a shop that does trailers or lager trucks. If you do it yourself, I am not sure how you would set the toe adjustment, mine was an .5 inch out. The shop that did mine put small bends all the way across instead of one big one in the middle. It was about $250.

Blitzkrieg3002 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2021 at 1:36pm
Here’s some pics.

Underneath

Driver side

Driver Tread wear

Passenger
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2021 at 2:18pm
When I had the problem with my axle, it was not covered. I had to purchase the replacement. That axle did have a problem in that the mounting plate for the bake shoes had not been properly welded. That axle was replaced under warranty. I reinforced my axle similar to what has been mentioned. 

This is the link to where the axle reinforcement mod starts:
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2021 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by StephenH

When I had the problem with my axle, it was not covered. I had to purchase the replacement. That axle did have a problem in that the mounting plate for the bake shoes had not been properly welded. That axle was replaced under warranty. I reinforced my axle similar to what has been mentioned. 
This is the link to where the axle reinforcement mod starts:

Awesome write up there StephenH ! I will see what Lippert says and then decide. Pretty annoying that they aren’t covering these. I have seen some that have been covered so we will see. Amazing seeing how many people that have had the same issue and Rpod themselves never issued any type of recall. Seems like a total design flaw/scam if you ask me.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2021 at 7:30pm
Design flaw I would definitely agree with. Scam I would not. It seems like just making the frame a little wider so the axle would not have been cantilevered so far would have gone a long ways toward not having this problem. Lippert can always say that the axle was not their fault. Who has not hit rough roads? Who hasn't hit a curb in learning how to maneuver these trailers or going into or out of tight turns into parking lots? The lighter trailers may be able to get away with the overhang, but the heavier models such as our 179 or the 180 or other larger models just are too marginal to begin with. 

I think that is likely one of the reasons the 17x and 18x models are disappearing and the 19x and 20x models which, if I understand correctly, do have a wider frame and not as much cantilever on the axle are being sold. Hopefully, the bending axles will not be an issue with them.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Toyanvil View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2021 at 7:47pm
What is sad is they are still building them this way.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 12:16am
Originally posted by Toyanvil

What is sad is they are still building them this way.

exactly.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 7:38am
The narrow body rpods are designed with thin wall inboard frame rails to allow the composite floor panels to span the width of the trailer and still take the loads if the side walls. That also requires the axle to act as a cantilever. All in the interest of keeping cost and weight as low as possible. In theory.

In practice it creates a marginal structure. The worst is really the floor as composite as plywood is not very elastic and is sensitive to water damage, when it fails you can have an irreparable trailer. At least the frame and axle are readily repairable.

The underlying problem is FRs design standards. It's not like they just started making heavier trailers with the same structural design without knowing what they were doing. It's not ticket science to determine the load capacity of an rpod. You can do it with basic beam loading formulas, you don't even need an FEA model.
None of the above components are designed to handle more than about a 2g bump load. That is insufficient. Everything I've read suggests that heavy trucks (which are subject to lower g forces) should be designed to 2.5-3 g's and passenger cars and trucks to more than 3 g's plus.

At 2gs you have to either keep the trailer really light or be really careful never to hit a serious bump, curb, or pot hole. Good luck with that.

I wouldn't count on the bigger rpods having higher design standards without analyzing the structure first either.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 11:09am
Yea, when i said scam i kinda meant that Rpod should be building these things to last more than a handful of years.  For the amount of money they charge for these units to overlook something so simple like this leaves more questions out there for me.  I always knew travel trailers were designed and built cheap.  I thought the Rpod was a step up on quality than most but experiences have leaned me to question that.  Some get lucky, but some with heavier pods like mine are having issues.  It just seems like a bad design from everyone i've showed my problem.  

either way i appreciate everyones help and input.  Ive sourced a place to buy some angle iron this afternoon.  Going to go find some Square U bolts today as well.  Tommorrow i'll bring the trailer down to my dad's shop.  He's an experienced semi retired auto body mechanic with years of experience straightening frames from auto accidents.  I've learned a ton from him over the years.  He's fully confident we can straighten the axle back into alignment and then reinforce it.  

I'll take some pictures of the process and post up our progress.  Wish us luck and keep on podding!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>