R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAxle Problem 2015 182G

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Axle Problem 2015 182G
    Posted: 08 May 2021 at 11:37am
Originally posted by offgrid

Very interesting and thanks for the report and the temp fix. I'd worry about putting a lot of side load on the frame with the bottle jack though.

I was wondering when we'd get a bent spindle here. When you said your axle hadn't lost it's crown that was a good clue. Unfortunately you can't replace a spindle, they assemble them by compressing and freezing the rubber, insert the spindle, and let it thaw. No way to reverse that.

In the end a 3500 lb axle is just too light for a heavily loaded rpod on the kind of roads we have in a lot of the country. If you're having to replace brake assemblies as well as the axle it wouldn't be much more $ to upgrade to the heavier axle.

Yea. I may go with a dexter axle if I even replace it. They have replaceable spindles and look like a better design to me. We didn’t put much pressure on the frame with the jack. Just enough to hold a bit of force on the top of the wheel while we hit the bottom of the wheel with the Hammer.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 3:47pm
Dexter does have a better reputation than Lippert, nothing wrong with changing over. But then there haven't been near as many Dexter axles used on rpods as Lippert ones so I'm not sure if they would actually do any better. I would be suspicious if any 3500 lb rated axle on anything other than the lightest rpods, considering the negative effect of the inboard frame mounts.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Blitzkrieg3002 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 4:12pm
So just wanted to update.  We did get word back from Lippert.  They stated they would not cove the axle under warranty.  I told him i'm going to smack it a few times with a hammer and hope for the best!!! lol

Got a long 2 week trip coming up with my wife and our two children.  I feel pretty confident on the fix for now and am going to go camping!  wish us luck and thanks all for the help.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345