R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Vehicle - Towing Questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Vehicle - Towing Questions
    Posted: 07 May 2021 at 5:27pm
Not sure how this became a debate about turbos...

I thought I just said that turbos can compensate for altitude? Up to the point where the waste gate is completely closed and the turbo is extracting all available energy from the exhaust. So if you drive in high mountains and that's important to you then get one.

Where I part company is with the suggestion that a turbo engine is always better than a non turbo. That is incorrect and is an oversimplification of a highly complex topic. Take efficiency or instance. I drive the most fuel efficient car on the road, a Prius, and it's normally aspirated.

Then there is the heat, pressure and added cost and complexity of a turbocharged engine. And the turbo lag. Some folks actually like it, I don't.

If you like your turbocharged engine, great. If you don't live in high mountains and want a simpler more reliable drivetrain, as I do, a normally aspirated engine is fine.

I didn't fly a turbonormalized aircraft either back when I owned an airplane, but I might have had I lived in the Rockies. But boy are those engines expensive to overhaul and they never make it to TBO.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 6:34pm
The third post in this thread raised the comparison of turbo vs. naturally aspirated.  That's why turbos are in the discussion.  

As for advantages of turbos for towing, they deliver a more powerful engine while using less fuel.  Certainly they are more complex engines, but the technology is well established and reliable.  It'd be nice to be able to tow with an electric vehicle or even a hybrid, but neither works well for that purpose.  

Yes, a naturally aspirated engine works alright for towing, provided you don't mind the 3% horsepower drop for each 1000 feet of altitude, but it is undeniable that turbo engines are more efficient when it comes to fuel consumption. 
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
jalong View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 7:04pm
Very happy with towing our 179 with a 2014 Grand Cherokee with tow package, E2 weight sway, & Tekonsha P3 brake controller. We have towed over 20,000 miles including from Wisconsin to Alaska & back in 2019.
John & Sue
2016 179 - built in April 2015
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.6L 13-16mpg with 179 - 21-28mpg without
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 6:41am
Originally posted by lostagain

The third post in this thread raised the comparison of turbo vs. naturally aspirated.  That's why turbos are in the discussion.  
As for advantages of turbos for towing, they deliver a more powerful engine while using less fuel.  Certainly they are more complex engines, but the technology is well established and reliable.  It'd be nice to be able to tow with an electric vehicle or even a hybrid, but neither works well for that purpose.  
Yes, a naturally aspirated engine works alright for towing, provided you don't mind the 3% horsepower drop for each 1000 feet of altitude, but it is undeniable that turbo engines are more efficient when it comes to fuel consumption. 

Yes turbos were in the discussion but I wasn't challenging that. My original post was related to diesels vs gassers.

I think we agree except for the broad statement that turbos are more efficient than normally aspirated engines. If that was always the case then my Prius would not be normally aspirated, it is Toyota's flagship efficiency vehicle after all and their engineers are no strangers to turbos. Remember the Supra? But there are other ways to get high efficiency. The Prius uses an Atkinson cycle engine to achieve that.

Toyota's brand value is based on their vehicles' reliability more than on performance so that could also be one reason they don't sell many turbos now. I think the only ones Toyota has are some high performance Lexus models.

Speaking of reliability issues I hear there is a class action lawsuit now against Ford for major reliability problems with some of their Ecoboost engines. Tip if the iceberg or isolated issue? Time will tell, but I'll wait it out, I'm not interested in joining the litigation as a potential plaintiff down the road....
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 8:07am
Though hybrid power plants are very efficient systems (and could probably be little more efficient with a turbo boosted engine, though probably not enough to justify the extra cost) they are irrelevant to the issue of towing a travel trailer.  

As for lawsuits against Ford for the Ecoboost engine, yes, there are, but they don't concern the 2.7 and 3.2 liter engines.  There have been class action suits against all of the major manufacturers, including Toyota, and specifically the Prius.  So you already are a plaintiff in an ongoing class action suit that was reported in the spring of 2020.  
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 9:35am
Originally posted by lostagain

Though hybrid power plants are very efficient systems (and could probably be little more efficient with a turbo boosted engine, though probably not enough to justify the extra cost) they are irrelevant to the issue of towing a travel trailer.  
As for lawsuits against Ford for the Ecoboost engine, yes, there are, but they don't concern the 2.7 and 3.2 liter engines.  There have been class action suits against all of the major manufacturers, including Toyota, and specifically the Prius.  So you already are a plaintiff in an ongoing class action suit that was reported in the spring of 2020.  

Since the F150 is now available with a hybrid system that has a 12700 lb tow rating, I don't think you can say that hybrids are incompatible with towing. You can design a hybrid for performance rather than efficiency which is what Ford has done.

Re efficiency. apparently the Atkinson cycle engine is not compatible with turbocharging. Needs to run in a narrow rpm range to work properly which the hybrid power train allows. The point is to say that a turbocharged engine is always more efficient is to disregard alternative methods to achieve the results you want. Just because you have a hammer doesn't mean everything is a nail.

Toyota was working on a turbocharged variable valve timing system which was supposed to morph between an Otto cycle when boosted and power was needed and an unboosted Atkinson mode while cruising at low power output. No sure what happened with that engine.

Re the Toyota lawsuit, I assume you're referring to braking one,
nothing to do with drivetrain reliability. There are always recalls and litigation of one sort it another. The question is whether it is pertinent to the topic under discussion. The Ford Ecoboost one is specifically for engine reliability issues. It is for the smaller engines in the lineup but there have been a bunch of issues owners have reported with the 3.5 as well. Not the 2.7 yet but that is a newer release.

As I said, time will tell. I like new high efficiency tech but I'm conservative, I didn't buy my Prius until they were on the market for over a decade and in their 3rd generation. I haven't bought an EV yet either but when I ultimately replace my Prius thats what I'll get.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Online Status: Online
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 10:31am
Originally posted by offgrid

Re the Toyota lawsuit, I assume you're referring to braking one,
nothing to do with drivetrain reliability. There are always recalls and litigation of one sort it another. The question is whether it is pertinent to the topic under discussion. The Ford Ecoboost one is specifically for engine reliability issues. It is for the smaller engines in the lineup but there have been a bunch of issues owners have reported with the 3.5 as well. Not the 2.7 yet but that is a newer release.

Both the 2.7L and the 2.5L EcoBoost engines are on their 2nd or 3rd iteration. yes, they're more complicated, but both have fewer reciprocating parts than a V8, so the concept of "more complicated" gets a bit gray in my mind. Almost all big rig diesels are turbocharged, and they are known for very high mileage capabilities (like several hundred thousand miles). Likewise, all the early turbo-related issues got dealt with back in the 1990s, and none of the EcoBoost engines, including the little 4-bangers, are having turbo-related issues.

As for turbo-lag, the tiny turbos used in the V6 EcoBoost engines spool up very rapidly because of their small diameter. I'd say the turbo-lag is a non-issue for ours.

I am intrigued about the hybrid 3.5L EcoBoost. I would consider replacing ours in a year or two after I've seen it proving itself.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 2:10pm
+ 1 to Glue Guy's comments on the Ecoboost reliability.  It's a non-issue for the F-150.

The hybrid F-150 is has just barely come onto the market with an asking price of about $72K.  It really isn't a contender for the travel trailer market at this time.  And you certainly aren't going to tow much with a Prius.  When the F-150 becomes a significant part of the TV market, then hybrids will be relevant and will offer a good option for towing. ...but Ford appears to be using a turbo boosted engine to accompany the electric motor.  If I am still towing trailers when my current F-150 needs to be replaced, it may be a viable option, if electric options haven't replaced it.  

As for the Prius class action law suits, one claims that there is a fire danger with the inverter that also causes the vehicle to unexpectedly stall at high speeds.  Toyota is trying to weasel out of it claiming that the secret arbitration clause in the purchase agreement prohibits the court action; kind of like the terms of service when you use Google and FaceBook.  Another class action suit involves sudden brake failures, kind of an important safety issue.  

I had a Saab turbo many years ago and turbo lag was an issue in acceleration.  There is no turbo lag in my F-150 whatsoever.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 3:41pm
Well it sounds like we're past the turbo is always more economical debate which is where I was in disagreement.

I wouldn't buy a hybrid F150 either at this point. Not proven and optimized for performance not for efficiency anyway. The performance of the non hybrid F150 versions sound fine so is it worthwhile? Mainly for it's generator capabilities probably.

Some of the issues with the smaller Ecoboost engines have been intake and coolant leaks due to blown head gaskets. Those sound like they could be turbo related to me, a lot more heat and pressure there than in a normally aspirated engine. Some of the problems with the 3.5 have been exhaust manifold related which could also be cause by the turbo. I don't know and don't want to find out on my own vehicle.

Corporations and wealthy individuals are always trying to hide behind arbitration clauses, nothing new there. To be expected. And spongy brakes from leaky brake boosters on Toyota passenger cars have nothing to do with either turbo reliability or efficiency or with towing so what is the point of discussing it? Way off topic.

If you don't notice turbo lag on your F150 that's great, others report that they do.

Again, enjoy your Ecoboost turbos, I'll stick with my normally aspirated 3.5 V6, plenty of both power and torque for my needs, and I get 28 mpg with it not towing if I keep it down to 70, which is difficult around here with the trucks doing 80.

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 5:27pm
When we had the 2016 Escape with the 2L Ecoboost engine, I never noticed any turbo lag. I would likely still have it if we hadn't had the accident. I miss the turbo and wish one or a supercharger could be retrofitted to the Frontier.

As for the Ford Hybrid, the onboard generator capability is fascinating. I would really like to see one. I don't like the price tag though.

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>