R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Vehicle - Towing Questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Vehicle - Towing Questions
    Posted: 08 May 2021 at 6:11pm
Looks like they start around 50k with base trim, the 7kw ac output, trailer tow package, and 4wd. Only available right now with the supercrew cab which you can't get a long bed with, so I wouldn't be interested. For me a pickup has to have a decent size box on it. Think I'll keep my Highlander and old horse trailer to haul stuff.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 6:12pm
What debate that turbo is "always" the most economical?  All that was said, starting with StephenH's comment about considering a turbo as a good alternative for mountain driving, was that it may be a satisfactory power plant for a TV.  No one ever said that turbos are always the most economical or even the best choice for all drivers under all circumstances.  Some of us, who actually own and have towed with an Ecoboost, found them to quite satisfactory for our towing needs.  Others, for a variety of reasons may choose to go with diesels or naturally aspirated engines.  

Yes, there were some issues early on with the introduction of the Ecoboost engines, but that is true of many new, innovative engines and the problems have been addressed.  The reports turbo lag almost exclusively concern pre-2018 engines or come from those who believe that one must push the throttle with both feet as hard as one can at every start for maximum acceleration.  Under normal driving conditions, the problem has been fixed.

There are few 1/2 ton pickups that can beat the mileage of an F-150 Ecoboost, whether a 2.7 or a 3.5.  A comparable 2019 Toyota Tundra 4x4 gets 13/17 mpg compared to my F-150's rated at 19/24.  Our model also beats the mid-sized Tacoma -- 18/22.   I can say from personal experience that I routinely get 24 mpg when not towing.  We've just logged 3975 miles towing our 4400 GVW trailer and the onboard computer says we've gotten 14.8 mpg.  That's not bad for crossing the from effectively Reno to the beginning of US 50 in Ocean City, MD.  We'll see how we do when we return via NM and AZ.

Comparing your Highlander's non-towing mileage to a full size pickup is a non-starter.  Of course you get better mileage.  So does my CX-5 which is currently showing 29.8 as the average mileage.  It sounds like you have never driven an F-150 with an Ecoboost engine.  Maybe, before denouncing it, you should take a test drive.  You might be pleasantly surprised.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 8:36am
Originally posted by lostagain

What debate that turbo is "always" the most economical?  All that was said, starting with StephenH's comment about considering a turbo as a good alternative for mountain driving, was that it may be a satisfactory power plant for a TV.  No one ever said that turbos are always the most economical or even the best choice for all drivers under all circumstances.  Some of us, who actually own and have towed with an Ecoboost, found them to quite satisfactory for our towing needs.  Others, for a variety of reasons may choose to go with diesels or naturally aspirated engines.  
Yes, there were some issues early on with the introduction of the Ecoboost engines, but that is true of many new, innovative engines and the problems have been addressed.  The reports turbo lag almost exclusively concern pre-2018 engines or come from those who believe that one must push the throttle with both feet as hard as one can at every start for maximum acceleration.  Under normal driving conditions, the problem has been fixed.
There are few 1/2 ton pickups that can beat the mileage of an F-150 Ecoboost, whether a 2.7 or a 3.5.  A comparable 2019 Toyota Tundra 4x4 gets 13/17 mpg compared to my F-150's rated at 19/24.  Our model also beats the mid-sized Tacoma -- 18/22.   I can say from personal experience that I routinely get 24 mpg when not towing.  We've just logged 3975 miles towing our 4400 GVW trailer and the onboard computer says we've gotten 14.8 mpg.  That's not bad for crossing the from effectively Reno to the beginning of US 50 in Ocean City, MD.  We'll see how we do when we return via NM and AZ.
Comparing your Highlander's non-towing mileage to a full size pickup is a non-starter.  Of course you get better mileage.  So does my CX-5 which is currently showing 29.8 as the average mileage.  It sounds like you have never driven an F-150 with an Ecoboost engine.  Maybe, before denouncing it, you should take a test drive.  You might be pleasantly surprised.

This statement:

Yes, a naturally aspirated engine works alright for towing, provided you don't mind the 3% horsepower drop for each 1000 feet of altitude, but it is undeniable that turbo engines are more efficient when it comes to fuel consumption.

Sounded to me like a broad statement that turbo engines are always more efficient, which I disagreed with.

As for "denouncing" F150s with Ecoboost engines, please show me where I did that. I only explained why I personally don't want one.

Not sure why you can't compare the fuel economy of the F150 with the Highlander? Their curb weights are very close to the same, my Highlander likely actually weighs more than your pickup. No reason the truck should get poorer fuel economy except for aerodynamics. I get better non towing fuel economy than you do and about the same if I tow at 60.

You are right though that I haven't driven a recent F150, or Tundra, or Taco for that matter. That is because I am not interested in owning a pickup truck anymore. The combination of an SUV and horse trailer works much better for me overall. I do need the ability to comfortably carry 4 people as well as haul lumber and bulky items and I'm not interested in one of those double cab trucks with the tiny box on the back that you can't haul anything in. There's more room in the back of the SUV with the rear seat down, and it stays dry and secure. Everyone around here ends up towing a utility trailer down to the big box, lumber, or farm supply store with those double cab trucks anyway.

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 8:52am
Two differences between the Highlander and the Pickup:
One you mentioned, which is aerodynamics.
Two is gearing. It is very likely that the gear ratios of the Highlander are more suited for economical driving. 

Trucks are geared to haul stuff. I have seen crew cab trucks with full length beds. More often than not, those are the ones with the dual rear tires. That would be way more than is needed for an RPod of any model available.For me, a crew cab pickup with a cap on the bed would be great. I have a hard tonneau cover on the Frontier. It limits the height of what I can have in the bed. I have the factory rails and tie-downs and the bed extender. I can haul some things, but the Frontier is not suitable for heavy hauling anyway.

All points are valid about engine choice. That is why we have options and are not locked into only one choice. Each of us gets to choose what is best in our individual situations. I prefer to keep any discussion about our choice, not to attack anyone else's choice.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 9:49am
OG, so do you contend that naturally aspirated engines use fuel as efficiently as a turbo at all highway altitudes?  Maybe I am wrong in my statement to the contrary and look forward to your explanation.

As for the utility of a pickup truck compared to an SUv, that is a matter of personal choice.  You like what you chose, so that is a good thing.  Those of us who have chosen pickup trucks to tow our trailers and use for other purposes have also made a choice based upon our personal preferences.  I like being able to carry 6 passengers very comfortably in the cab and find the ability to carry large cargo items, such as 16' boards that would be too heavy for a roof rack, or a stove that wouldn't fit in an SUV.  It fits my personal preferences better.  Indeed, it all boils down to personal choice.  

That you chose older technology because you prefer it, does not mean that those of us who have chosen different or newer technology are wrong.  
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 10:40am
In these days of 8 and 10 speed auto transmissions I doubt gear ratios matter very much anymore. The ECU has so many options to choose from based on conditions and loading. You would need to compare unloaded non-towing engine rpm at freeway speeds and see if there is enough difference to effect efficiency, but I doubt it. All the manufacturers are trying to optimize fuel economy under those conditions because that is the EPA reporting requirement as well as one of the most common operating modes for any vehicle. It's what's created the push for all those trans speeds to start with.

You can for sure get full sized bed double cab trucks but those are really big trucks with long turning radii and not so great fuel economy. Lots of folks around here have them because they have the need to haul equipment and heavy trailers. Not ideal as a daily driver when you're not hauling stuff. They have smaller vehicles for that purpose.

A half ton pickup crew cab with a cap is in my view basically an SUV with a small cargo area which remains separate from the passenger space and isn't flexible in size by means of folding seats down. That's a fine choice if you're not hauling big stuff and/or you don't want what you are hauling in the passenger space. Just wouldn't work as well for me as an SUV and trailer combo.

I always state that my choices are my own and the pros and cons I see among the options. That is how people make decisions, everything has it's upsides and downsides, and those differ based on perspective, so it's fine to disagree about that. It's only when someone makes broad oversimplifications such as "turbos are more economical" where I will object.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Online Status: Online
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 10:47am
Besides all the performance and economy arguments, I will state that our F150 is the most comfortable and enjoyable vehicle we have ever driven; towing or not. It is our go-to vehicle any time we are going for more than a dozen or so miles. It is just a dream on the highway; quiet, smooth, comfortable cabin, and fantastic visibility.

The fact that it tows without sweat is just icing on the cake.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 11:17am
LA, I already said (twice) that a turbo is going to produce more power if you frequently drive at high altitudes. That is a different consideration from efficiency, don't mix the two up. The normally aspirated engine is burning less fuel at altitude while it's making less power, as it's ECU is maintaining the proper stoichiometry.

Without a utility trailer of some type I agree that even a short box pickup would be better for hauling than an SUV.

Coincidentally I just picked up a 500 lb wood stove with my horse trailer and SUV. Wouldn't have got it out of the bed of a pickup without lots of help and back pain. Too high. I used my tractor boom pole and picked it right up.

How do you safely carry 16 ft lumber in a short box pickup? Did you add a lumber rack? I can slide heavier 16 ft lumber over the closed horse trailer ramp which leaves about 5 ft sticking out so it's stable. Lightweight stuff can go on the roof rack.

I never said there was anything wrong with choosing a pickup. Nor did I say that there was anything wrong with choosing a turbo over a normally aspirated engine, just more risk of having problems, which should be obvious. As for your inference that normally aspirated engines are "older technology" I disagree, there are all kinds of innovations going on with normally aspirated engines all the time, and there is nothing new about turbocharging. Looking at it another way, ICE tech is all "old school" now anyhow. EVs are the future, but not just yet depending on your application.

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 12:11pm
It's pleasing to me that on a forum about the modest little r-pod we get to talk about big honkin trucks to pull them with. Or even mid size SUVs....

Originally posted by offgrid

...Horsepower is horsepower. There is nothing special about diesel horsepower. You will climb a mountain with a 300 hp gasser just as fast as you will with a 300 hp diesel. Low rpm torque has nothing to do with it, you will be running your engine at high rpm either way.

This is not true in the real world. In the lab it might be, but the problem is the way we RATE horsepower and torque. I can absolutely guarantee you that a 400 hp, 400 ft/lbs (also pound/feet) 5.7 liter gas engine equipped pickup will NOT be able to drag 80,000 pounds over a high mountain pass any where near as fast as a 400hp 1600 ft/lb rated 15 liter class 8 diesel engine will. Both rated at 400 hp but there is a HUGE difference in total available towing power.

Its because of the way we divide total engine power into two measurable units: one is how FAST it makes power (while increasing RPM) one is how MUCH power it makes (during steady rpm).

Originally posted by offgrid

...The normally aspirated engine is burning less fuel at altitude while it's making less power, as it's ECU is maintaining the proper stoichiometry.

Actually, it sounds impressive to use that word BUT...most modern, normally-aspirated gas engines with fuel injection will enrichen the fuel mixture during a hard climb at high altitudes to help cool the pistons and cylinders and help to keep the exhaust temps within a 'normal' range. Meanwhile the catalytic converter is drinking a LOT of unburned gasoline and converting it into heat. Lots of it. Which means that yes, they are much less efficient at high altitudes while also under a heavy load, compared with the same engine equipped with a turbo. You can't cheat physics, and it's the very reason that turbo equipped engines tend to perform so well (for a given displacement) when the going gets tough and the air gets thinner. 

Back in the 'olden days' (or golden days?) before tight emission controls, this was evident in most diesels and some gas engines, as you would see them 'rolling coal'....which is nearly always the result of a rich mixture and wasted fuel. 
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 12:44pm
+ 1 to Glue Guy's last comment.

As for building materials, the last thing I want to do is to have to hassle with a horse trailer or a utility trailer to load stuff.  I can easily load sheets of drywall or osb panels without doing anything except opening the tail gate.  If I have long elements, I have a rack that I can put onto the truck in about 5 minutes that allows me to carry all the materials I may need for a project.  

We just crossed the country and set the cruise control at 60 and couldn't have been more comfortable, even in nasty head and cross winds.  I hardly noticed I was towing a trailer, except for the occasional passing where I had to accommodate for the extra length.  As far as my experience is concerned, I couldn't ask for a better balanced TV & trailer rig in power, comfort, stability, economy, and efficiency. 

As I've repeatedly said, each person should do what fits best, but don't knock the experience of others until you've tried it.  You may be pleasantly surprised.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>