R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed180 black tank issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 180 black tank issues
    Posted: 17 May 2021 at 7:29pm
Hi folks,
New full timer here, so please be nice! Not yet traveling so no bumps to jiggle things loose in the black tank. I’ve tried the little pods you drop in, I’m using RV toilet paper (and being careful of consumption), I’m leaving some water in the black tank after flushing. I’m still getting solid back up and having to flush with stick attachment to the hose in the toilet every time I empty.
Any suggestions to help a newbie out?!
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 7:35pm
Does your RPod not have a black tank flush? 

Use a good biological agent such as TankTechs Rx or RV Digest-It to help liquify the solids. Use plenty of water when flushing #2. Don't empty the tank until it is at least 2/3 full. Given that the tank sensors are notoriously unreliable, you will need to estimate when the tank is full enough to dump.

While you are at it, look up TankTechs and view the various videos there. It will be quite informative and will likely be very helpful.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Cali82 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 8:06pm
It does, but not getting enough pressure from the city line to completely flush it that way without the additional stick/hose flush through the actual toilet. Thank you for the tips! I will look into better chemicals and TankTechs.
SC for Huskers View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 8:35pm
I use something like this that I got from Etrailer.com
Valterra Hydroflush Reverse Flush Adapter for RV Holding Tanks.   Item # F02-4100

Happy Traveling,
Tom
2017 172pod
2011 F150 STX
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 8:45pm
The hydroflush works best if there is a straight pipe into the tank. On ours, it takes a turn at the tank before heading out. I don't see it as being very effective in the case of my tank's drainage layout.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Cali82 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 9:11pm
Thank you gentlemen... off to check my drainage layout and explore Tom’s valve suggestion!
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 8:29am
In addition to using a really good digester/enzyme agent to dissolve the solid waste, another thing you can do to ensure better black tank emptying is to avoid putting paper products into the tank.  Though at first thought, it's gross, it makes emptying the tank easier.  We've been doing it for since we got our 172 and have never had a problem fully emptying the black tank.  Our method is similar to that seen in countries where plumbing systems are limited.  Simply discretely fold the soiled paper and put it into a small plastic bag to be thrown away in the trash like a dirty disposable diaper.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by lostagain

In addition to using a really good digester/enzyme agent to dissolve the solid waste, another thing you can do to ensure better black tank emptying is to avoid putting paper products into the tank.  Though at first thought, it's gross, it makes emptying the tank easier.  We've been doing it for since we got our 172 and have never had a problem fully emptying the black tank.  Our method is similar to that seen in countries where plumbing systems are limited.  Simply discretely fold the soiled paper and put it into a small plastic bag to be thrown away in the trash like a dirty disposable diaper.  

Yeah, that is gross.  1st through 21st thoughts.  More than that, it's unnecessary.  Plenty of water is the answer.  Have a few gallons in the black tank to start, flush the toilet with plenty of water, top of the tank before emptying it.

Why in the world have a plumbing system you don't use?  Problems can happen, but rarely with plenty of water.  Deal with the problems when they come up but enjoy having the fully-functional bathroom you paid for!

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 6:09am
One thing that significantly reduces overall "grossness" is to use the campground bathrooms as much as possible. We reserve our rpod toilet use to numbah 1 at night only when in established campgrounds. Boondocking of course is another story.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 8:19am
The problem with using "plenty" of water is that your tank fills really fast.  If you are boondocking or don't have easy access to a dump station that can make things complicated.  In addition, at least for me, one of the grossest things I have to do with my trailer is dump the holding tanks.  It's gross enough dealing with the drain valves, hoses, and washing out the tank.  It's even more gross when the people who were at the dump station before you weren't as tidy as they could have been and you have to deal with their mess as well as your own.  

I agree with OG that using the toilet facilities in your campground is a good alternative when they are reasonably clean.  We are on the return portion of the our trip across the country and stayed in many rest areas along the interstates.  Unfortunately, with the very high use and the limited cleaning, those restroom facilities were not as pleasant as they could have been and we used the head in our trailer for everything.  So we had to be mindful of filling the tanks too fast in order to avoid dumping along the way.  Folding a little TP is way less gross than frequent dumps in usually not too clean dump stations.

There is another element to the issue.  Those tiny rolls of RV TP are very expensive and the paper quality is, well I suppose one could say, uncomfortable, not to mention it doesn't dissolve all that well.  We use regular household thick soft paper and it not only is more comfortable, it folds nicely for discrete disposal in the little plastic bags.  No worries about having to clean out undissolved strings of paper trapped in the corrugated drain hose and fittings.  And if you like those so-called flushable wipes, the little plastic bag system accommodates their use as well.

It all boils down to personal preference, just like whether to use a WHD, a turbo or naturally aspirated engine, or eating your vegetables.  We each have our own way of solving problems and as long as we aren't hurting others and it works, go for it.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>