R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBrake issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brake issue
    Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 9:59pm
Sounds like that's what is happening, but you might want to do the 'skid-pad' test I described just to make sure.
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by offgrid

The Hayes device works by selectively activating one or the other trailer brakes. If one of the brake magnets isn't connected electrically then the Hayes device won't be able to activate it. I'm not sure what the system would do if it only has one brake to activate but it's likely to behave unpredictably. I think I'd deactivate it as well.
That is incorrect. The Hayes Sway-Master activates both brakes. The Tuson device will selectively activate one side or the other. I have the Sway-Master.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
seafans View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 11:29pm
An easy way to check if the magnets are in working order it to check the continuity with an ohm meter.  Both of the magnets should have about he same resistance. 
pedwards2932 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2021 at 7:57am
I need to read up on how the brakes work and dissassembly.  Can you check continuity without disassembly?  If the issue is a bad connection to the actuator it would seem just fixing the connection would resolve the problem without dissassembly.

offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2021 at 8:38am
Yes you don't need to disassemble.

If you get a multimeter with a Hall effect DC current clamp on you can measure the current to each brake. But don't place the clamp on near the magnets or the reading will be inaccurate.

If you don't have a clamp on then disconnect the crummy insulation displacement connectors to each magnet and measure the voltage there. Then replace with proper butt splices.

You can put your meter on the ohms scale and measure the resistance of each magnet while you have them disconnected. The Lippert brake manual gives you the resistance range.

I found that even though I had voltage to both magnets and both were in the resistance range I was getting lower current through the pass side magnet, enough lower that it never grabbed hard enough to burnish properly. I rewired my brakes in series so they had equal current and turned the gain on the controller all on the way up. Then an agressive burnishing. Problem solved.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2021 at 8:48am
Originally posted by StephenH

Originally posted by offgrid

The Hayes device works by selectively activating one or the other trailer brakes. If one of the brake magnets isn't connected electrically then the Hayes device won't be able to activate it. I'm not sure what the system would do if it only has one brake to activate but it's likely to behave unpredictably. I think I'd deactivate it as well.
That is incorrect. The Hayes Sway-Master activates both brakes. The Tuson device will selectively activate one side or the other. I have the Sway-Master.

Yeah that's right, I was confusing the two brands. I still wouldn't use either one without both my trailer brakes working properly though.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
seafans View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2021 at 10:28am
Please check the cooler drum for grease contamination.  This will solve your problem with the brakes.
Check the lippert trouble shooting page and if one brake is that much difference in temp the magnets and/or shoes are contaminated with grease.  This was the issue on both of my new R-pods.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2021 at 11:53am
I will check it if I have to dissassemble.....it is a 2018 that was bought used so not sure is that is the cause but is worth checking.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2021 at 1:36pm
Mine were imbalanced like that with new brake assemblies that I installed myself. No grease, just variations between magnets and the fact that the right side brake gets less current than the left one due to the longer wire run. And several folks have reported bad connectors resulting in one brake not operating. It's well worth doing the electrical checks first.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 11:11am
Well that was an easy fix one of the wires on the right side brakes had come loose.  I used a butt connector and heat shrink to reconnect.  All should be good but I will test it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>