R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Is my WFCO converter/charger killing my batteries?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Is my WFCO converter/charger killing my batteries?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Welchsoft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is my WFCO converter/charger killing my batteries?
    Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 12:12pm
Me overengineer?  Software Architect by trade before I retired and that's why.  Thanks for the help.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 12:48pm
If you are traveling with your 'Pod and not letting it sit unused for months, I don't think stratification will be so much an issue as the mechanical agitation of going down the road is going to help mix the electrolyte. We travel with our 'Pod. That is one reason I did not think it would be so much an issue.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 1:08pm
I'm a retired engineer too so I know about overengineering. But with electrochemical stuff like batteries the complexities make it fuzzy enough that its a bit more of an art than a science relative to say electrical or software engineering.

I think its important to recognize that deep cycle lead-antimony batteries are not for everyone. SLI auto batteries generally use a lead calcium alloy which results in lower self discharge and charging rates and would probably be a better choice if you let your pod sit for long periods.

As an example, I have a car here at my Dad's house in Hawaii that due to Covid travel restrictions I was not able to run for two years. I'd left the battery in the car disconnected and uncharged for that period, connected it and it started right up and its run and starts the car just fine. That would definitely not be the case with golf cart deep cycle batteries. They would be dead as a door nail.

So if you need batteries that will tolerate a lot of cycling and either use your pod often or are willing to do the charge, watering, and equalization maintenance, then deep cycle GC batteries are for you. If you mostly camp with hookups and/or use your pod I intermittently and/or aren't much for battery maintence then get SLI or AGM batteries. If you want the best of both worlds then bite the cost bullet and convery to Li batteries, where there are a bunch of different types available as well. Different chemistries for different applications.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Welchsoft View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Welchsoft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 1:26pm
This entire research started when boondocking (no sun for my solar) and figured a 2250 watt generator could charge up my batteries.  But the state park I was in only allowed two, 2 hours cycles of generator noise per day and on the first day we were running wild with electricity so my batteries got town to 50%.  The next day being more conservative, 40% so I fired up the generator and in two shifts of 1 hour then 2 hour generation I was only up to 50+% again.  Starting researching why un uneducated assumption on charging my Trojans was inaccurate.  Concluded that my WFCO charger on the generator never put out the volts to quickly charge so I started looking at new converters/chargers.  That got me thinking about IF I was charging my Trojans correctly in the first place.  In any even, that all led to this tread.  I still need to research the quickest way to charge up on generator and if a smart converter/charger, a stand alone charger or something would be helpful.  We have not been at this for long but some periods of the year will we be camping with hook ups, but the majority of the time we focus on State Parks which seem to have electricity about 50% of the time.
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 5:30pm
Something's not right with your charging and/or you're using a huge amount of electricity, or your state of charge is higher than you think.

The WFCO should be producing 40A or so until battery voltage gets pretty high, so in 4 hours you should be getting close to full charge even if you started at a low SOC.

How are you determining state of charge? Don't use the idiot lights, use a multimeter, leave the battery disconnect for an hour or so and use an SOC vs voltage table. Get a meter with a Hall Effect DC clamp on so you can measure your actual charge current as well.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Welchsoft View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Welchsoft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 6:05am
I have a GoPower Solar Controller which shows the amount of charge in volts, and I have a Aili Voltmeter which shows volts/amps in and out and has a 100amp shunt at the battery.  The two instruments are quite close on their readings of current state of charge.
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 2:21pm
That's great! What current do you read on the shunt when you're charging at sat 40-50% SOC with all your loads off. Shut the WFCO off and back on and under those conditions it should be around 40A.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Welchsoft View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Welchsoft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 5:14am
I will check that.Smile
Welchsoft View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Welchsoft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 7:16am
Starting my testing with a voltmeter to check actual charge current leaving the charger, and then going to the cables on the battery (while disconnected).  I'm expecting to see 14.4 volts when charging in bulk mode but just read this in the WFCO manual and I think that it says that I will never se 14.4 even if it is putting that out.  Confused...
"If the output current reaches its maximum (normally caused by a discharged battery),
this will cause the converter to go into Bulk Mode, which means the target output voltage
will change to 14.4 VDC and a timer will start. Although the converter is outputting 14.4
VDC, you will not be able to read that on a voltmeter due to the voltage-current
relationship. From the paragraph above, as load current increases, output voltage
decreases. The actual output voltage will not rise until the load current is reduced, which
happens naturally as the battery charges or if 12 VDC appliances are turned off."
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 6:02pm
What they should say is that in their bulk mode their charger can supply 14.4V open circuit (no current). But if the battery is deeply discharged then it will take the max current the charge puts our (I think that's 55A, not sure) at a lower voltage than 14.4. Once the charger hits it's current limit the voltage won't go any higher of course, because it can't produce enough current to do so. So the right way to look at bulk mode is the charger can produce up to 14.4 of 55A, whichever comes first.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>