R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Is my WFCO converter/charger killing my batteries?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Is my WFCO converter/charger killing my batteries?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Welchsoft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is my WFCO converter/charger killing my batteries?
    Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 2:44pm
I may not actually have a problem but want to get some feedback since at the beginning of the season upgraded to duel V6 Trojan 105 batteries and want to protect my investment. Trojan charging instructions indicate charge voltage setting should be Absorption 14.8, Float 13.2 and Equalize 15.5. My WFCO 8735P Converter manual indicates Absorption 13.6, Float 13.2 and nothing about Equalize, although it mentions Bulk 14.4. Since my converter is never putting 14.8 volts to my charging cycle is my converter/charge properly maintaining my Trojan batteries, or should I take some preemptive measures?
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 3:21pm
WFCO converter will work with the Trojan batteries just fine. The only time you would have issues is if you fail to check the water level and add distilled water as needed. We used a pair of 6V GC2 batteries for a few years but I wanted to change to an LiFePO4 battery. That required a change to a different converter module suitable for it. 

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 4:49pm
You should be ok. If you wanted to hit your batteries with a 15.5V
equalization charge occasionally you could do that with another charger, but that is a really high voltage and not normally needed unless you have left the batteries at partial state of charge for long periods, which allows sulfation of the plates. The high voltage blows the sulphate off.

You can get the WFCO to go into absorption mode if you shut it off and then bring it back up which should accomplish the equalization for most usage.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Welchsoft View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Welchsoft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 4:58am
The part that confuses/concerns me is the 14.8V that Trojan recommends.  My charger doesn't put that out.

Also seems that if I want to equalize I will need a stand alone charger, as even some of the Progressive Dynamics that I look at don't equalize at 15.5.

Thanks for the input.

StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 8:28am
I wouldn't be concerned with equalization. If they were 12V running in parallel, then it might be an issue. Since they are 6V run in series, equalization is not the issue you think it is. Just think of it as one 12V battery. You don't worry about equalization with your tow vehicle's 12V battery. Don't worry about it with the Trojans, provided you keep track and don't discharge them below 50% and don't leave them discharged. If you can't leave the RPod plugged in, charge them and then use a battery disconnect (connected on the positive side) or disconnect the battery by removing the negative terminal leading to the RPod. Periodically check and charge if needed.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by StephenH

I wouldn't be concerned with equalization. If they were 12V running in parallel, then it might be an issue. Since they are 6V run in series, equalization is not the issue you think it is. Just think of it as one 12V battery. You don't worry about equalization with your tow vehicle's 12V battery. Don't worry about it with the Trojans, provided you keep track and don't discharge them below 50% and don't leave them discharged. If you can't leave the RPod plugged in, charge them and then use a battery disconnect (connected on the positive side) or disconnect the battery by removing the negative terminal leading to the RPod. Periodically check and charge if needed.

This is not quite correct. The reason the Trojans want a higher charge voltage and occasional equalization is because they are not the same chemistry as automotive batteries. The deep cycle golf cart batteries use antimony as a lead alloy which allows them to tolerate deeper and more frequent discharges but at the expense of higher water consumption, higher charge voltage, and higher equalization requirements than auto start, lights and ignition (SLI) atteries.

So you could either consider getting a separate charger to equalize the Tojans occasionally, or "trick" the WFCO into spending more time at higher charge voltage by turning it off and back on occasionally. This is not an exact science but depends on frequency and depth of discharge as well as temperature and charge rates. Trojan is being very precise in their requirements for warranty purposes.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Welchsoft View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Welchsoft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 7:20pm
The challenge for me at this point is to find a technical solution.  I assume that tricking the WFCO will still only produce 14.2V.  I just want to purchase the solution that will charge my T105 correctly to maintain them based on the manufactures recommendations.  I appreciate the feedback about what will work 'fine' but I want to be 'optimal'.  Not that I'm not concerned about cost, but I'd like to understand the best solution and then weigh the cost.  Thanks everyone.
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 9:07pm
Understood. In that case you might want to consider getting a DC power supply which would allow you to adjust voltage and current levels manually to the values you want, in this case as prescribed by Trojan. The benefit of the adjustable power supply is that you could set it for batteries with different requirements in the future, or even for others uses. You could eave your batteries on the WFCO on a day to day basis, but use the power supply at intervals per your or Trojan's specs.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Welchsoft View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Welchsoft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 5:58am
Or pull the charger module from my wfco 8735 and replace it with something 'smart' that meets the Trojan guidelines.  I've been researching but its becoming difficult to find on for my particular unit.  In addition, I'm wondering if a stand alone unit closer to the battery might be a better option since the wires 20 feet away from the battery to the charger look like #6.  I have not measured the current from the charger to the battery but imagine that with the long run of smaller cable there is quite a bit of resistance.

offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 11:29am
Yes I think the conductors are 6 awg. At 40A and 15 ft that's about 0.6V drop, or about 5%. Pretty typical for 12V systems But don't forget that the charge current tapers off quickly as battery voltage increases and the cells teach full charge.

If you really want to do this precisely, you can get a charger with voltage sense wires and a remote temp sensor which can accurately measure voltage and tenp directly at the battery terminals and compensate accordingly. That is commonly done on large battery systems (for example large off grid solar applications) where there is a big capital investment and battery warranties to maintain. But IMHO you are overengineeing for a little 200 amp hour battery system.

Even in the Trojan maintenance manual it suggests getting chargers without equalization modes to perform the high voltage charge function by turning them off and back on.

An inexpensive way to evaluate if you need to and how well you are equalizing is to get a hydrometer and check the electrolyte specific gravity at the top of the cells. If a deep cycle battery needs equalizing its cells will have their electrolyte stratify and have lower and variable SG at the top of the cells. Jus hit them with any charger or power supply and let the gasses mix the electrolyte until the SG's are the same in all the cells. Equalization done.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>