R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > Mods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Wiring schematic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Wiring schematic

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message
TheBum View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 26 Feb 2016
Location: Texas
Online Status: Online
Posts: 1376
Post Options Post Options   Quote TheBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wiring schematic
    Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 12:43pm
Even the prewired backup camera power in newer models taps off the clearance light circuit.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2019 Dodge Durango GT Plus AWD
Three cats
Back to Top
Tulefog View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 23 Jun 2021
Location: California
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 22
Post Options Post Options   Quote Tulefog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 3:21pm
Thanks I got the camera mounted and it works great.
Thanks everyone for the information.
Tulefog
2021 rPod 180
Back to Top
TeamRPod View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 16 Nov 2020
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 25
Post Options Post Options   Quote TeamRPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 7:16pm
Has anyone replaced 1 of those 3 high clearance light bulbs? My 2011 RP-175 had 1 of the 3 burn out and I am hesitant to remove the spoiler /re-caulk etc if don't have to. So I set out to find a how to DIY tube and failed. I can barely find a proper name for the bulb but looks like this:


Can I just pull the bulb/grommet out and have enough slack to replace it?  I tried prying it out and it was real tight so I decided to wait and come here for a consult. Thanks.

Back to Top
Tulefog View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 23 Jun 2021
Location: California
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 22
Post Options Post Options   Quote Tulefog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 10:16pm
I am surprised one of these lights would fail, maybe its the wiring. 
Here is the clearance light and gromeet after pulling it out of the spoiler, carefully. The lead on the light is about six inches long and plenty for a splice or replacement. There is a lot of silicone used on the housing of the light and the lead wires. With the grommet in place on the light housing the light will pop back in place.   A new led replacement light could carefully be pushed back into the same opening.
Tulefog
2021 rPod 180
Back to Top
TeamRPod View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 16 Nov 2020
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 25
Post Options Post Options   Quote TeamRPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 5:02am
Originally posted by Tulefog

I am surprised one of these lights would fail, maybe its the wiring. 
Here is the clearance light and gromeet after pulling it out of the spoiler, carefully. The lead on the light is about six inches long and plenty for a splice or replacement. There is a lot of silicone used on the housing of the light and the lead wires. With the grommet in place on the light housing the light will pop back in place.  A new led replacement light could carefully be pushed back into the same opening.


I was bummed it failed but only mildly surprised as I seem to be tackling a light issue of some sort every few months. I figured prying the grommet out was the first step since I would have to do that even if I removed the entire spoiler.  I do hope its just a loose wire or short inside there. I do need to re-chaulk that top side of the spoiler it seems.

Thanks for the quick reply and picture - you know a picture is always worth a thousand words!
Back to Top
jato View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2012
Location: Kewadin, MI
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2534
Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 5:27am
Originally posted by TeamRPod

Has anyone replaced 1 of those 3 high clearance light bulbs? My 2011 RP-175 had 1 of the 3 burn out and I am hesitant to remove the spoiler /re-caulk etc if don't have to. So I set out to find a how to DIY tube and failed. I can barely find a proper name for the bulb but looks like this:


Can I just pull the bulb/grommet out and have enough slack to replace it?  I tried prying it out and it was real tight so I decided to wait and come here for a consult. Thanks.



You have the correct replacement IF that is the issue.  A couple of the marker lights on my fender have done a similar thing.  Fortunately by simply unplugging and replugging it back in the socket the problem solved itself.

In a similar case (2010 171) the individual did as Tulefog did and by simply cleaning the contacts (where it plugs together) the issue was resolved, hopefully yours will as well.  And if not, at least you were able to find the correct replacement on e-trailer.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Back to Top
TeamRPod View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 16 Nov 2020
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 25
Post Options Post Options   Quote TeamRPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 6:36am
Originally posted by jato

You have the correct replacement IF that is the issue.  A couple of the marker lights on my fender have done a similar thing.  Fortunately by simply unplugging and replugging it back in the socket the problem solved itself.

In a similar case (2010 171) the individual did as Tulefog did and by simply cleaning the contacts (where it plugs together) the issue was resolved, hopefully yours will as well.  And if not, at least you were able to find the correct replacement on e-trailer.

Thanks for the advice yeah for $10 plus probably $10 shipping lol I am going to make sure I cannot get it back online first before buying a new one that may end up being a different shade of red. I need to measure it but it sure appears to be 3/4". 

I suspect my front/top spoiler seal is breached and water has been getting in there and will caulk.  I have never climbed up on top of my pod but may need to for that job. 

Side note a decent sized dead branch hit my pod while camping during a storm - 10 foot long 2 1/2" at the thickest part - it glanced off the front corner after I had walked by 30 seconds before. Lucky in that it missed me and that it hit the rounded part of the pod. I do need to inspect proper though up high.  Ironically I told my friends I was not fearing the trees in that state park since the trees were clearly maintained regularly. Doh! 
Back to Top
offgrid View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 23 Jul 2018
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4601
Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 10:15am
I worked for the California Parks Dept as a summer college job. We used to call those branches over the campsites and trails widowmakers. One of my fun jobs was to remove them or tape off the campsite if the branches couldn't be reached. They are nothing to fool with. I've refused campsites several times due to overhanging branches.

You shouldn't be afraid to remove are recaulk your spoiler. You don't want to wait till it's a problem, as that problem will be a damaging leak by the time you notice it. You can inspect the wiring and replace your marker lights while you have the spoiler off. Might want to replace all 3 of them, if one has failed it's not unlikely the others are going to go soon anyhow.
2015 Rpod 179 - sold - too busy playing farmer to go camping
2012 Toyota Highlander
Back to Top
TeamRPod View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 16 Nov 2020
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 25
Post Options Post Options   Quote TeamRPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 10:21am
Originally posted by offgrid

I worked for the California Parks Dept as a summer college job. We used to call those branches over the campsites and trails widowmakers. One of my fun jobs was to remove them or tape off the campsite if the branches couldn't be reached. They are nothing to fool with. I've refused campsites several times due to overhanging branches.

You shouldn't be afraid to remove are recaulk your spoiler. You don't want to wait till it's a problem, as that problem will be a damaging leak by the time you notice it. You can inspect the wiring and replace your marker lights while you have the spoiler off. Might want to replace all 3 of them, if one has failed it's not unlikely the others are going to go soon anyhow.

I live backed up to heavy woods and widow makers are for real. I often point to a forest or canopy and say: Every single thing you see there is coming down, by man or by nature.  Make no mistake

Yeah I may rip off the whole damn spoiler and stop messing around. I figure this one bulb being out may make that decision easier for me. I presume it is totally safe to be atop a 10 year old RPod... but if my sagging floor is any indication maybe that is not a wise presumption. Life is full of dangers jeez. 

I have never seen a campsite roped off - you were apart of a safe operation there. Now with demand so high... bah the campers will probably be safe. Probably. 
Back to Top
offgrid View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 23 Jul 2018
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4601
Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 11:21am
You don't really have to get on top to access the spoiler. You can lean a ladder on the back (use some rags to protect the finish.

My summer parks job was a looong time ago, before multiple budget cuts have resulted in inadequate maintenacd staff in so many parks. But we did try to keep everyone safe. When you have branches 100 feet up in a big redwood they can really make quite a mess when they come down.

Ive never had a park employee argue with me when I point out a widowmaker to them. They are well intentioned, just too busy to keep up.

2015 Rpod 179 - sold - too busy playing farmer to go camping
2012 Toyota Highlander
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.64
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz