R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Solar generators

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solar generators
    Posted: 12 Feb 2022 at 4:12pm
Greetings Rpodians
We are thinking about taking the plunge into the world of solar and wonder if anyone out there has any experience with solar generators. We want to be able to use the generator for other activities, so we don't want to invest too much in to solar technology that is hardwired into our 2017 r179.

Our thought was to get something like a Jackery 1500 solar generator with 4 solar panels and simply plug the rPod into the solar generator just like we would if we were connecting to our Champion 2000 inverter generator. We know we can only run certain items which, given our 5 years of rpodding, is plenty for us. 

Has anyone had any experience with solar generators or the way in which we plan on using it? Any recommendations?

Thanks
gpokluda
2017 r179
2016 Nissan Frontier SV
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mjlrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2022 at 4:31pm
Just for clarification, when I hear the term "solar generator" I think of course, of a generator. In reality, are these basically self charging batteries?  Just a normal 12 volt battery, that also has maybe a small inverter or converter, that allows very small electric appliances to run, but recharges itself with a solar suitcase or panel? So it's not at all a generator in the sense of the word. I'm not looking for the " well technically it could be called a generator because....." 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2022 at 5:28pm
Your description is correct. They are indeed called solar generators and will power the small appliances you mention plus refrigerators and microwave ovens if the wattage is adequate. Thanks!
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2022 at 8:06pm
They are packeges consisting of sall solar modules connected via a charge controller to a battery. Both the solar modules and battery are DC devices. The battery in turn runs and inverter which produces ac output from the dc battery input. So, not a generator at all.

The problem with using one of these packages in lieu of an actual generator is that they produce very limited energy output. Energy is power x time so one might have a 1500 watt power capacity but can only produce this for a few minutes before the battery is discharged. in comparison a generator will run as long as you have fuel to power it.

The other issue is that it would be terribly inefficient as most of the load devices in the trailer are 12Vdc and are charged by the onboard converter.So you would be taking DC output from your solar modules, using it to charge a battery, then converting that to ac to feed to the trailer, then converting it back to DC to charge the trailer battery, then finally to the end load device in the trailer.   You would lose at least half the energy you had available if you just charge the trailer battery directly from the solar modules.

You can get portable solar modules and a charge controller which can directly charge the trailer battery without having to be permanently mounted, so they can be used for other things. That is they way most folks do it and a much more efficient solution than one of those package systems.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tars Tarkas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2022 at 9:28pm
All of the "solar generators" I've seen are just batteries with a built-on converter.  You already have that with your Pod battery and converter.  You can get the same results for a lot less -- and have less to lug around -- with something like a Renogy solar suitcase hooked up directly to your Pod battery.

Depending on where you're camping, you might also want/need a fossil fuel inverter generator.  Solar is great at the beach or in the desert, for example, where you have to camp in the sun.  If you ever want to camp under the trees, or you have 4 days of rain, a regular generator can come in real handy.  I have both solar and a gas generator and often only take only one depending on where I'm going.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2022 at 6:27pm
I know the Rpod already has a solar connector. So do I need to get a controller if I decide to the portable solar panel route and hook up to the solar port on the side? Thanks.

gpokluda
2016 Nissan Frontier SV
2017 Rpod 179
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2022 at 8:34pm
My understanding is that the newer RPods come pre-wired for solar, but they do not have a controller. The 2017 179 is probably like the 2016 179 that I have. The solar connector is on the side near the door. It is simply a plug and a wire leading to the battery tray. The wires come disconnected and they need to be properly connected so that the polarity of the plug will be correct. Then a solar panel can plug in using an SAE connector. However, one has to be aware of the polarity and make sure that the polarity matches between the battery and the controller. You might need a gender changer to reverse the connection polarity depending on how things are wired.

I got a Renogy 100 Watt panel. It came with a PWM controller. See this for information on the difference between PWM and MPPT controllers:

I re-wired the output of the controller to use Andersen PowerPole connectors. I have a longer cable that plugs into that to run to either the SAE connector (with a jumper I made) or the 60A PowerPole connector I installed on the A frame. I also use that one to plug in a cable to run my ham radio transceiver when we are somewhere for sufficient time to allow me to set up my antenna. That lets me use the RPod's battery to run the radio instead of the truck's battery. I bought the kit for the solar MC4 connectors, but they are a pain to use when connections need to be plugged and unplugged frequently. They are great for stationary setups where the connections will be made and left alone. The Andersen PowerPole connectors are much more tolerant of repeated plugging/unplugging.

This is probably more information than you need right now, but just file it away for possible future use.

Hopefully, this will help.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2022 at 5:03am
The "solar ready" rpods just have wires pulled for a solar connection, no controller, no fuses.

There is no reason at all you have to use them. You can also connect directly to your trailer battery if that is more convenient. In my opinion for a portable system it is. Why suffer from voltage losses (which at 12V can be significant) just to get to the rear of the trailer from the front, if you're going to connect a portable kit anyway?

Either way you connect, starting from the battery, you need an inline fuse at the battery +12v terminal to protect the wire to your controller. Next comes the controller, then the solar module. You will have a +12V and a negative connection to make between each. That's all there is to the electrical connections, very simple.

I would suggest using a minimum of 12 gauge wire and wire run of at least 25 feet so you can move your portable solar module to a nearby sunny spot. A 15 amp fuse would be good back at the battery.

A 100 to 120 watt solar module works well for most people. Get a glass/aluminum frame module, not a so-called flexible module. Pretty much any brand will be fine, you do not need to pay extra for one of the RV name brands. Be sure it has the right voltage for 12V battery charging (max power voltage around 17-18V is what you're looking for).

You can attach some fold up aluminum back legs to the module so you can tilt it up, just a couple pieces of small aluminum angle bolted to the frame and allowed to rotate will work fine.

For controllers, a simple PWM type will work for a basic system. You can mount that to the battery box, inside a front storage area, or to the back of the solar module. Or both. Your choice. The controller should be rated for 15 to 20 amps.

The cable can be hardwired at the solar module end with a connector at the trailer end or vice versa. An inexpensive way to make up a nice flexible cable would be to buy a heavy duty 12 gauge extension cord and cut the connectors off at both ends Dont use the 120Vac connectors for 12V, that creates a safety hazard down the road when someone could inadvertently connect 120V there. The Anderson connectors StephenH suggests are a good choice.

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Linda&Gino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linda&Gino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2022 at 1:59pm
Thanks for the reply. That is most helpful. For this go around I am going to order a 100watt suitcase solar panel kit and controller. Appreciate the help.

gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179
2016 Nissan Frontier
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2022 at 5:06pm
That's just fine. But it should still get a fuse at the battery end. The "solar ready" connector on the rpod doesn't provide one, so if the kit you get doesn't provide one either you can just get an inline fuse holder from NAPA or online and a 15A fuse and add it.   
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>