Elecgric Vehicles - F250 Lightning - Event Date: 16 Mar 2022

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Elecgric Vehicles - F250 Lightning
    Posted: 16 Mar 2022 at 7:30pm
There have been several reports on electric vehicle towing, by both "regular" owners, and people who test trucks.. So far, after reading through articles or watching videos, it seems you can expect 50 to 60% range loss, at a minimum. We had an Rpod owner in the FB group last year, tow from Houston to Miami. They were able to average just about 150 miles a day, forward motion. Finding charging spots, and more importantly, USING those charging spots was difficult. NONE are designed for a vehicle with a trailer in tow. Many times, they had to drop the trailer first.

Finding CG's along the route, and also in-line with their route of travel/chargers was difficult also. They had hoped to be able to charge at CG's some, but were either not allowed, or charged extra, and a 50A 120v charge didn't add much range overnight they said.
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2022 at 5:21pm
I missed this year's allocation too, it'll be 2023 for me as well. I think it's safe to assume the range towing an rpod will be around half or a little more of what it is with just the truck by itself. That's roughly equivalent to what happens to your gas mileage on an ICE truck as well. We should be seeing some real world numbers on this soon.

For me, since I've sold the rpod and no longer take long road trips, I expect I'll get the standard range version of the f150. All my towing nowadays is the horse or utility trailer and it's never more than maybe 30-50 miles.

The standard range truck looks to be a relative bargain in the base trim at about $39k and is supposed to still be capable of bi directional charging so it can run your house in emergencies.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Ciberpine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ciberpine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2022 at 12:06pm
Starting a thread on Electric Vehicles.  I noticed in the post entitled "To buy or not to buy", that Offgrid mentioned that he is on the list to get purchase an F150 Lightning EV.  I also am on that list, although didn't make the 2022 cut and will have to wait until 2023 apparently.

The question that I am sure we all have is battery distance pulling a trailer, such as an R-Pod.  Even though Ford's marketing material has lots of pictures of the F150 Lightning towing a nice Airstream, there is no information on towing distance.  The truck looks like it will tow the R-pod with ease, but as we all know, it takes energy to tow. 

Has anybody able to find some information on this?  Has anybody actually taken delivery of an Electric Truck and towed with it?
Scott and Noreen
2017 R-Pod 190, 2011 Toyota Tundra
Pilgrims on the way to the Celestial City
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678