This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > General non-pod discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Elecgric Vehicles - F250 Lightning - Event Date: 16 Mar 2022

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Elecgric Vehicles - F250 Lightning
    Posted: 17 Mar 2022 at 7:59pm
Me thinks the conversation is turning a little too political.  I'm finding myself biting my fingers in an effort to stop them from going wild in the keyboard.  

Though I tend to agree that towing with an electric vehicle is not very practical, attributions about the price of gasoline and the motivations therefore are a little over the edge.  Ouch! there I go biting my fingers again to stop them.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2022 at 9:36pm
It was not meant to be political but a statement of fact. I will drop the opining on oil but towing with EV's may become practical if wireless charging via roadways were able to become a reality. That is something I read about in either PS or PM years ago, but nothing ever came of it. Fuel cells were the topic also, and I think that could have been a viable alternative as refueling would have been quick. However, avoiding contamination of the catalyst is a problem if one is using air. Also, rolling Dewar flasks for carrying pure liquid hydrogen would not have been good. CNG could have been used, but the hydrogen would need to be split from the carbon. Then how does one capture the carbon for re-use in industry or proper disposal? Each technology looks promising until one starts seeing the consequences of adopting it. Some of those can't be foreseen. 
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2022 at 9:42pm
I agree that the lack of charging infrastructure is a big drawback to electric vehicle's towing.  The WAPO has an article today about hydrogen.  As StephenH suggests, the deeper one looks into alternative energy the more the problems become apparent.  There is just no such thing as a free lunch.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 5:30am
I don't see how attributions that accuse the adminstation of deliberately increasing oil prices can be taken as anything but political.

That is not appropriate in this forum, but if we want to talk about facts in the energy area Im ready and able to do so.

First, on fuel energy density. A comparison was made between batteries and gasoline as vehicular energy storage. I stated that the chemical energy contained in the fuel was not pertinent to this comparison, because only about 25% of that energy makes it to the wheels. That is correct, and it is a good rough approximation to compare 10kwh of battery storage with 1 gallon of gasoline tank capacity.

None of that has anything at all to do with power plant efficiency. That only comes into play in effecting the direct and indirect/environmental costs of electricity. Which were not part of this thread till now.

But if you want to compare that with the direct and indirect/environmental costs of fossil fuel delivery we can do that.

In doing so though we cannot assume business as usual in the electricity generation energy mix because our energy extraction, production, delivery, storage, and distribution systems are multi decade long term investments.

So when you read these articles which say that all you're doing when you operate EVs using conventional fossil fuel powerplants   
is moving emissions from the tailpipe to the smokestack, realize that those are written by fossil fuel company shills who want you to believe that nothing will change in the energy mix feeding the grid.

Those guys would like that to be true but it is a lie. The reality is that the grid is changing now, and fast:

Here are some facts: there were 23 GW of solar capacity installed in the us in 2021. 13 GW of wind. 6.6 GW of gas turbines. 1.1 GW of nuclear (btw I would also like that to be more but the reality is that nukes are very costly and time consuming to install so are not considered to be cost effective by the power producers who are making those investment decisions). Coal reduced by 4.6 GW.

See what's happening? Renewables are winning, and it's because they are cheap and easy. That was what I did as a career, and I'm proud of contributing to that accomplishment.

In the meantime even on the dirtiest grids EVs produce less emissions that ICE vrhicles. China has one of the dirtiest grids in the world but even there EVs are cleaner. Why? Because power plants are more efficient than car engines, quite a lot more efficient. 25% vs 35-40%. And the delivery system (wires vs fuel pipelines and trucks) is more efficient as well.

Here's another lie: the TX outages last winter were caused by renewables. In reality the vast majority of power generation that went offline were steam gas turbines because their plumbing systems froze up. Even a nuke went offline.

Why did they freeze up and why did this cause so much havoc? Because ERCOT is entirely within the state of TX, in the drive to deregulate everything and let the "free market" operate unfettered it cut it's interstate ties so it is not subject to FERC regulations. Look up ERCOT and FERC if you don't know what those are.

The result is that ERCOT does not have the proper systems and reserve capacity in place to handle these rare but entirely predictable weather events. Nor can it just buy power from it's neighboring states like everyone else can. And of course the systems engineers know all that very well.

This go it alone approach demonstrates the need for our critical infrastructure to be regulated. So please if we're going to have this discussion let's have it based on real data not superficial biased fake news stories.

As for EVs not being appropriate for a specific use group yet, I fully agree. As I stated.

Bit let's not fixate on that one weakness and use it to trash EVs in general without also acknowledging the big advantages they have in so many areas. That is not a balanced evaluation, and for most folk's needs an EV will do a great job.

Let's also please drop the whining about gas prices. The alternative exists where you can free yourself from the thrall of Big Oil price gouging and foreign manipulations effecting your energy costs. This has been going on at least since the early 70s.

Don't you think it's suspicious when some mideast dictator hiccups, within days you're paying double at the gas pump? Follow the money, who benefits? I'll give you one guess. Might it just possibly be the same guys who spend money trashing solar and EVs? What a surprise....

We have the technology now, unlike in the 70s, and it's within the grasp of average middle class Americans to get out of this cycle. Get an EV and install solar. If you decide for whatever political, lifestyle, or other reason not to do that, then that's your choice. Just please don't whine about it. Everyone seems to like to play the victim these days about one thing or another.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Olddawgsrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 7:30am
I'm still debating my purchase into the EV world, but it's not due to most of your concerns. Charging to get most anywhere is pretty much in place now.

Here's a site that shows the stations in place to cross the country by corridor: https://afdc.energy.gov/fuels/electricity_locations.html#/corridors?country=US

With over 53,000 stations in place and more being added, my concern is not recharging.

As most of you know I switched over to a truck camper I built. I wanted something much less weight and would go where I wish to go. I need more rural places to charge and I see it coming. 

Example is Baja this past Feb! We traveled 340miles between petro stations, never mind finding a charge station. There are some there, yet like some of the petro stations, not open for business... 

Safe Travels all
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 10:04pm
One question: How much more generating capacity will be needed to charge all of the EV's that are being pushed on the public? The grid has enough trouble supplying power for the use we have currently. There needs to be massive improvements in power generation and power transmission.

I'm in favor of using alternative means of power generation. I just don't see it replacing the need for generating capacity that will be there when there are periods of insufficient sunshine to generate power or when there are insufficient winds to run those wind turbines. Nuclear fusion is still years away from the break-even point of generating more power than is used to contain and compress the plasma sufficiently for fusion. Fast breeder reactors that produce fuel and then burn it would be nice except that it would be difficult to get something like that built.

I'm not a Luddite. I just don't see battery operated vehicles as being something that would work for me as a sole vehicle. I would not object to having one for in and around town driving, but not for the type of travel we do. We will be going to my Dad's funeral service with the RPod in April. Then in May we are planning a trip to Utah and Arizona so we can be there for our oldest grandson's high school graduation and to see our daughters and grandchildren in both states. Given that it will be about 5-6K miles over a number of days, extended charging times are not a viable option.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
David and Danette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2022 at 5:19am
    The biggest thing to me that would keep me from buying a electric vehicle, lawn mower or bicycle would be the expense of replacing a battery. Batteries are expensive for the items I thought of buying and that is why I decided against them.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2022 at 5:27am
The oversimplified answer to your first question is that if all US cars were ev's they would require an increase of around 25-30% in total electric grid energy production. That's big but certainly not impossible to accomplish.

In practice things are of course more complicated, assuming we don't want to provide that additional electricity using traditional fossil fuel powerplants. This leads to a discussion of energy storage and dispatchabity.

There is only one reason I haven't bought an EV myself yet. I am waiting for bidirectional charging capability. That is already starting to be deployed in some other countries but has not yet been released in the US. There are a couple quite frustrating reasons for that which we don't need to get into here.

With bidirectional charging things change. EVs become part of the energy storage and delivery solution rather than a problem. That is because, as you rightly point out, renewables are not dispatchable power sources. Your friendly grid operator can't call up the old sun and wind gods and tell them to get going. Solar and wind come when they come. Renewables require storage to become dispatchable. Look up "duck curve" for more detailed info on this.

That lack of dispatchability is not a problem yet in most of the US because the solar/wind fraction of total grid capacity is still very low, around 5% nationally. We can and should put in tons more wind and solar in most parts of country and can do so without causing grid management issues. But in HI, CA, and several European countries the renewable content is now reaching the limit it can achieve without storage. That's somewhere around 15 to 20% if the renewables are solar and wind. HI and CA have the highest renewable fractions of any US states currently at around one third but that's because they have lots of hydro and even geothermal, which are dispatchable.

For solar and wind, more than around 15% means the plants need to be curtailed sometimes, which hurts their economics. Some curtailment is ok, the costs are getting low enough to tolerate that, but its not an ideal situation and to really get close to zero carbon power generation with renewables you have to have cost effective storage.

With widespread EV adoption there will be huge battery storage capacity already paid for that is sitting around doing nothing for the 90% plus of the time when the vehicles are not being used. For a residence as an example
an EV in the garage has capacity that is several times the daily energy requirement of the home it is connected to. So with bidirectional charging the vehicles can easily levelize the owners electrical demand while still retaining a very reasonable reserve capacity for daily transportation. All that is required is vehicles and charge points with bidirectional capability at homes and workplaces and web based comm infrastructure to manage it.

Renewables in combination with EV energy storage can then go to a much higher penetration level as a grid resource. Will that solve all the problems and let the grid go to 100% solar and wind? Of course not, nothing is that simple.

But it will be very significant, and does not require magic new voodoo technology like fusion. All the tech for it already exists and is proven.    

Forget stuff like fusion, it will have zero impact for the forseeable future. Let the researchers do their thing in the meantime. When I started working in solar over 40 years ago, it was already a proven technology that was commonly used in space and a few terrestrial applications. it's taken till just the last few years for it to be making a significant impact on the grid. That's just how long things take to change in the energy sector. It's not like the semiconductor or some other industries which change rapidly, the scale of investment required is so much larger. For example, over 90% of total polysilicon feedstock is now used for solar vs semiconductor fabrication, back in 95 it was the other way around, solar used to exist on the scrao material left over from the semiconducor industry.

Even existing technology like fission takes a very long time to deploy. Not counting the planning phase a nuke takes at least 5 years to construct and commission, and thats in France which has by far the most well developed nuclear industry of any country. The last one build in the US took over 40 years. In comparison, solar can be constructed and installed in a matter of a few months. Wind is a little longer not not much. And nukes are probably the most expensive generation option when the entire fuel cycle is considered. No private invetor wants to put them in. So while I'm in favor of building any and all non carbon based generation facilites realistically it's unlikely for nukes to have much impact for decades. Ditto for more large scale hydro, most all viable project sites are already taken.

So back to renewables and expansion past 15 or 20% via storage. There are interesting options for utility
scale storage being tested including straightforward technologies like using cranes to stack and unstack big chunks of concrete. Some of those will work out besides just big lithium battery banks. In the meantime bidirectional EV charging and increased renewable deployment in underserved markets will take us to the next level.

The take away here is that we can't let the quest for perfection get in the way of the good enough. That's not how any idustry investment operates including the energy sector. We need to get going faster with what we have and improve as we go along.

Ford has committed to providing bidirectional charging capability in the F150 out of the box. If that happens it should make Ford the market leader. Their first offering will allow off grid dischage usage only but that in itself is significant and theyre working on grid interconnected deployment as well. I want one.

Having to operate an ICE vehicle for awhile longer because of your range requirement doesn't make you a Luddite. Not at all. Just recognize that that is a personal choice and will be outside the norm in the future, and as such you shouldnt complain about the rising costs to do what you want to do. Heck, I decided to buy an airplane because I love flying, and that thing uses a lot of expensive avgas. 10 gallons an hour. I can drive all day in my Prius on 10 gallons. I have no justification now to whine about the cost of fuel, or ICE engine maintenance. That was my choice and I have to bear the costs or get out. The day I could hope to convert my plane to electric is very far off, much farther than for any road vehicle use.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2022 at 7:30am
To keep things in perspective, I suppose we may want to think of how long it took to switch from animal and human drawn transport to combustion based forms of motive force.    

I agree with OG about the development alternative energy systems and the need to use the technology we have as urgently as we can.  On the other hand, I appreciate the reality that there must be a transition period in which we will inevitably end up using the old technology for some purposes, such as towing trailers, for a longer period than we may like, or that is objectively best for the planet.  Such is the human condition.

If I had the money today, I'd run down to Whaling City Ford and sign up on the list to buy a Ford Lightning F-150 and use it as much as possible, including local camping adventures, while keeping my Ecoboost F-150 for long trips, but, in spite of working until I was 70 to maximize my Social Security check, I simply don't have the money to do so.  I have to get by with what I have until I give up my travel trailer camping activities.  I think that dilemma is one many of us on this board face.  

Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2022 at 10:41am
Few people probably remember that there was a massive glut of oil during the first year of the pandemic. Enormous numbers of people curtailed driving to the point that refineries were scrambling to find places to store the raw crude. They cut back production, but that process took most of a year to get it down to the point where they didn't have to scramble for storage. In fact, there were tankers floating around with nowhere to put the crude.

Fast forward to now, and we have the opposite problem. Because of the cutbacks, they are now trying to ramp up production to meet the new demand. 

The United States happens to now be  a net exporter of crude oil. Yes, we produce more oil than we consume. It is a fact that the US is producing more oil now than it did at the beginning of 2020.

It's also a fact that "most" of the oil the US produces is what is known as "light, sweet crude" (aka low sulfur). For historical reasons, most of the refineries in the US are geared toward processing the heavy sulfur crude. It's unlikely that refineries will retool soon (or ever) to deal with the differences between heavy sulfur and low sulfur.

As for EVs and the load on the grid... We have many friends with EVs, and I would say more than half of them charge their EVs at home using excess power from their solar panels. I would say most of those never, ever use a charging station. The net result is that those EVs cause essentially zero load on the grid, and the power they actually use is in essence "pre-paid".

Nothing is as simple as you might expect.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>