This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > General non-pod discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Elecgric Vehicles - F250 Lightning - Event Date: 16 Mar 2022

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Ciberpine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Elecgric Vehicles - F250 Lightning
    Posted: 19 Mar 2022 at 11:52am
In response to Dan and Dinnettes post about battery replacement cost.  I own a 2008 Ford Escape hybrid.  The battery pack went kaput in 2020 - 12 year life.  The cost to replace with a rebuilt battery pack was a little over $4000.  That is really the only expense of maintaining the car for 12 years.  Not bad.  Comparable to an ICE powered car.  Even the Atkinson cycle engine is still running well and clean.  After my experience with the hybrid, I would say that battery life span and replacement cost is no more of a concern than engine overhauls, transmission replacements, etc. that are common on ICE powered cars over the span of 12 years and 200,000 miles.
Scott and Noreen
2017 R-Pod 190, 2011 Toyota Tundra
Pilgrims on the way to the Celestial City
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2022 at 5:56pm
In one sense the additional load on the grid from folks who have both EVs and solar might be thought of as zero but since renewables deployed to charge electric cars are not available to reduce existing grid fossil fuel use it is fair to ask whether that makes sense or not.

There are three reasons it does. First is because EVs are cleaner than ICEs even when operated on dirty grids.

The second is a bit more complicated. Our most common system for reimbursing residential and commercial (retail side) solar producers for the energy they are exporting to the grid limits them to produce no more energy than they consume. This is called net metering and has it's pros and cons compared to systems other countries have adopted. One con is that folks who might otherwise have the space and resources to install a larger system can't economically do so because they wont be compensated for excess production. By adding EVs to their load they can expand their system size significantly, which is a good thing for everyone.

The third is the soon to be available bidirectional charging feature allowing EVs to act as grid storage.

My 2010 Prius still has the original battery ands its shown no noticable signs of degradation. Hybrids have tiny batteries which charge and discharge constantly, so get far more cycles than an EV does. In reality we can expect EV batteries to last the life of the vehicle, after which they have a second life in stationary applications which aren't weight limited so don't need the batteries to have really high capacity. There is already an active market for batteries salvaged from wrecked Teslas. At one point I was considering buying some for my rpod.   

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2022 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by offgrid

There is only one reason I haven't bought an EV myself yet. I am waiting for bidirectional charging capability. That is already starting to be deployed in some other countries but has not yet been released in the US. There are a couple quite frustrating reasons for that which we don't need to get into here.
That would bring in more issues. What if the EV is being used in this manner and someone decides that the energy in the battery is needed elsewhere. I get in hoping to go on a longer drive but there is not the range available. I don't think that would make me very happy or cause me to want to participate in such a plan. Also, if the EV is being used as an energy bank, is the power company paying for the energy they remove to offset the money paid to charge it in the first place? What are the unintended consequences of such a bidirectional scheme?

With bidirectional charging things change. EVs become part of the energy storage and delivery solution rather than a problem. That is because, as you rightly point out, renewables are not dispatchable power sources. Your friendly grid operator can't call up the old sun and wind gods and tell them to get going. Solar and wind come when they come. Renewables require storage to become dispatchable. Look up "duck curve" for more detailed info on this.

That lack of dispatchability is not a problem yet in most of the US because the solar/wind fraction of total grid capacity is still very low, around 5% nationally. We can and should put in tons more wind and solar in most parts of country and can do so without causing grid management issues. But in HI, CA, and several European countries the renewable content is now reaching the limit it can achieve without storage. That's somewhere around 15 to 20% if the renewables are solar and wind. HI and CA have the highest renewable fractions of any US states currently at around one third but that's because they have lots of hydro and even geothermal, which are dispatchable.
Agreed on the dispatchability. 

Even existing technology like fission takes a very long time to deploy. Not counting the planning phase a nuke takes at least 5 years to construct and commission, and thats in France which has by far the most well developed nuclear industry of any country. The last one build in the US took over 40 years. In comparison, solar can be constructed and installed in a matter of a few months. Wind is a little longer not not much. And nukes are probably the most expensive generation option when the entire fuel cycle is considered. No private invetor wants to put them in. So while I'm in favor of building any and all non carbon based generation facilites realistically it's unlikely for nukes to have much impact for decades. Ditto for more large scale hydro, most all viable project sites are already taken.
Fission need not take so long to deploy. The hold-ups are the many, many environmental impact statements and the multiple lawsuits inevitably taking place to prevent new fission power plants from being built. I wish the process could be streamlined to allow newer designs that would be safer than the pressurized water reactor and certainly much safer than the designs used at Chernobyl. Things like faults and Tsunamis need to be taken into account, but the biggest hindrance is what to do with the spent fuel. Reactors that can take that and use it to generate power while also consuming what older technology could not would be nice. It would be interesting to see an analysis of why it takes so long to build nuclear plants. Duke Energy abandoned one a few years back. The cost had gotten prohibitive.

So back to renewables and expansion past 15 or 20% via storage. There are interesting options for utility
scale storage being tested including straightforward technologies like using cranes to stack and unstack big chunks of concrete. Some of those will work out besides just big lithium battery banks. In the meantime bidirectional EV charging and increased renewable deployment in underserved markets will take us to the next level.
I don't see where stacking and unstacking concrete serves to hold energy unless they are being used as weights in a humongous escapement device to spin a generator.

The take away here is that we can't let the quest for perfection get in the way of the good enough. That's not how any idustry investment operates including the energy sector. We need to get going faster with what we have and improve as we go along.
We also need to be realistic and see that the timeline for switching from petroleum and coal to alternative energy sources is going to take a lot longer than anticipated.

Ford has committed to providing bidirectional charging capability in the F150 out of the box. If that happens it should make Ford the market leader. Their first offering will allow off grid dischage usage only but that in itself is significant and theyre working on grid interconnected deployment as well. I want one.
Ford is not marketing it as such. The advertisements I have seen indicate that it is not being used as a storage facility for the grid, but as something the buyer can use if there were to be a blackout or while camping, or tradesmen who need a portable power source to use to power their tools.

Having to operate an ICE vehicle for awhile longer because of your range requirement doesn't make you a Luddite. Not at all. Just recognize that that is a personal choice and will be outside the norm in the future, and as such you shouldnt complain about the rising costs to do what you want to do. Heck, I decided to buy an airplane because I love flying, and that thing uses a lot of expensive avgas. 10 gallons an hour. I can drive all day in my Prius on 10 gallons. I have no justification now to whine about the cost of fuel, or ICE engine maintenance. That was my choice and I have to bear the costs or get out. The day I could hope to convert my plane to electric is very far off, much farther than for any road vehicle use.
The day I see what I would consider a viable alternative to ICE powered vehicles that meet my needs is the day I change.

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2022 at 5:49am
Dispatchable aggregated
energy storage is already being tested in several electricity markets. It currently uses home and commercial storage systems like Tesla's Powerwall systems, but the considerations are very similar to EVs. There are also large aggregated demand response programs in place in many areas, typically involving curtailment of air conditioning loads during preak periods. These programs have very similar considerations as well. In all cases the homeowner is compensated for making their power or demand reduction available to the grid operators and gets to establish limits on their access. In the case of home energy storage or EVs, a phone app or equivalent would be used to set these limits and you could change those limits based on your requirements, like say normally limiting grid discharge to say 50% or zero if you were leaving on a long trip.

Ford is marketing their system as off grid now with an export grid tie upgrade in future. There are several bidirectional grid tie inverters on the market now for home energy storage/solar systems, so it's not much of a step once the vehicle interface is capable. I'd guess there will be DIY grid tied systems operating within a few months of release of Fords basic package, if not available out of the gate via SunRun.

Ford's partner is SunRun, the largest solar installer in the US. Both SunRun and Tesla have business divisions dedicated to developing this. It will be a big market opportunity for them in future, so they are all over it.   

Stacked concrete storage works exactly like pumped hydro, except a motor/generator is used for the lift rather than a pump/turbine. Any heavy mass moved up and down a big height will work. We'll see which ones are economically successful.

Im pro nuke, just being realistic. The 60-80 months is construction/comissioning only and that's in France which is the most favorable country for nukes. It's planning/approvals that stretch things out to multiple decades, because nothing creates more NIMBY than nuclear power. The public is afraid of it, simple as that. Wishing that were different won't make it so. Investors know that and are unwilling to throw money at something that may never give them a return, and even if it did would take a very long time. Time is money.

In contrast solar can go in in a few months and there are few NIMBY complaints, if any.   Wind is in the middle but closer to solar.

No one understands how long it takes to make changes in our energy system than I do. It's been closing in on 50 years for me working in solar. It was a similar period to transition from water to coal and from coal to oil. But renewables are there now, so it's time to move forward.

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2022 at 9:23am
This is turning into a very interesting discussion.  

A couple of points to consider:
1.  Hydro electric power is becoming increasingly problematic in the west.  They just don't have enough precipitation to keep the reservoirs full enough to reliably generate electricity throughout the year.  Lake Powell, for example, is only 35' from reaching the point where the water will be too low to run the turbines.  The pump up and release schemes for generating power during peak use are also problematic because of the lack of water due to lack of snow pack and due to evaporation from warmer summers.

2.  Nickel, an essential ingredient of lithium batteries, is increasingly in short supply.  Low grade ore is problematical in that the refining and processing releases significant amounts of CO2 and is mined in open pit mines.  In fact, the extraction of both lithium and nickel present environmental problems that we need to overcome.  

Every form of energy we can come up with has its share of challenges.  But, challenges are what we are often good at overcoming, if we make the commitment to do so and follow through with it.  Our biggest challenge is to develop alternative sources of energy on an urgent basis because we don't have a lot of time to avoid the inevitable consequences of continuing in with fossil fuel energy sources.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2022 at 9:56am
Nickel and cobalt are both issues with the current generation of lithium batteries, but there are several different chemistries being tried to reduce or eliminate them.

LFP batteries (for example) use neither nickel or cobalt, at the expense of somewhat smaller storage capacity. The good news here is that there are newer versions of LFP batteries that reduce that difference. I don't think they will catch up to the more exotic chemistries, but they might get close.

There's also the advent of solid state lithium batteries. Articles I've read recently seem to indicate that they (MIT is one research facility) are getting close to a solid state battery that takes fewer steps to make and almost doubles the capacity of current "wet" lithium batteries.

It also looks like we might be able to extract lithium from sea water. That would be an interesting development.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2022 at 2:10pm
One thing that keeps me from diving into solar is the location and orientation of our house. The roof line is such that I would get morning sun on one side but shade there in the afternoon. The peak runs roughly along a NE to SW line. We also have a lot of trees in our area which would shade side of the roof that would get sun in the afternoon. In addition, we pure do not have the space to add battery storage unless it could be put in a crawl space.

In addition, Duke Energy is proposing cutting the rate paid for rooftop solar. Also, federal solar tax incentives are set to expire at the end of this year from what I have read, although there may be state incentives.

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2022 at 5:03am
You are missing they key point about batteries and EVs when you focus on those "breakthrough" announcement articles.

Batteries appear to be following Wrights law, as has photovoltaics and many many other products. That law, first postulated in the 1920s for aicraft, would tell us that the cost of batteries should decline by a fixed amount for every doubling of production. As the volume of EV and battery production is about to go through the roof, and we are getting near price parity now, the crossover point where EVs become cheaper than ICEs is highly likely to occur within the next couple of years. From there they will continue to drop as production volume increases.

ICEs have long since reached a plateau in production volume so their cost has nowhere to go but up. This is why the auto manufacturers are all switching over. If they don't they will die.

Where do these cost improvements come from? All kinds of small incremental things associated with increased economies of scale, production experience, and engineering tweaks.

Take PV for instance. If someone with a time machine had brought me back a current generation solar module to show my 1980 self I would have been very impressed but I also would have recognized it instantly. The cells in it are the same basic technology and made from the same materials, interconnected the same way, with the same kind of glass/polymer/aluminum frame encapsulation system as what we were making in 1980. Not one gee whiz "breakthrough" in there, even though there have been zillions of solar "breakthrough" announcements over the past 40 years.

But all the little improvements plus high volume automated manufacturing make the current product twice as efficient and about 100 times cheaper than it was in 1980 in inflation adjusted dollars. It's much more environmentally friendly to make as well.

My point is, don't be distracted by all the press about this or that "breakthrough" in battery technology. That's 99% fluff from startups trying to increase their valuations or researchers trying to get continued funding. Look instead for incremental improvements year by year in the stuff actually being made.

I know it's not sexy but that's how the real world of production engineering and manufacturing works. Just lots of hard work day in and day out by lots of engineers and production workers to get little bitty improvements.

Something America doesn't seem to want to do anymore. Everyone is more interested in the big breakthrough that gets you rich quick, so we ship our technology overseas and let the Chinese and others do the hard work so they wind up dominant in one key industry after another.

Currently China is at about 80% of total global production of solar, ditto for Li batteries. About 2/3 of all lcd display screens, and
the largest wind turbine producer. Can you think of any 4 more important technologies to dominate in the 21st century than those? I can't.

Sorry, end of rant.

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2022 at 5:14am
StephenH, a southeast exposure is fine for solar. Check out the attached calculator.

PVWatts

Shade is another story and can be difficult to estimate. Chainsaws work pretty well...

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2022 at 10:47am
If you have partial shade, it's also good to isolate panels such that they don't fight each other when some of them are shaded.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>