This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > General non-pod discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Elecgric Vehicles - F250 Lightning - Event Date: 16 Mar 2022

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Elecgric Vehicles - F250 Lightning
    Posted: 23 Mar 2022 at 5:48pm
Olddawgsrule I never said everything in your post was wrong. The point on diodes in solar modules is that the type that help somewhat with shading are bypass diodes and they come already installed the higher voltage modules used in grid tied solar systems because they are there for safety reasons. So you don't have to add them. They are not inline series blocking diodes they are in parallel with the cells. Blocking diodes won't help with shading.

StephenH, no one to my knowledge has yet come to market with a competitively priced roof integated solar product. Many have tried, myself included. The Tesla system has the reputation of being very high cost for one. One major reason is that the individual roof integrated solar modules are pretty small so their manufacturing costs are naturally higher on a per watt basis. The target customers so far for these types of products have been wealthy people who want to make an architectural statement, not ordinary folks on a budget.

That being said if you are seriously considering reroofing and installing solar at the same time you could get quotes from installers recommended by the manufacturers listed in that article. I think they have a pretty comprehensive list there. Just be prepared for some sticker shock.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2022 at 6:45am
Just ran across a CNBC piece discussing electric vehicle development that was very interesting.  In addition to pointing out the fact that China is way ahead of other countries in pushing electrification of vehicles, the video pointed highlighted a potentially viable solution to the range and charge time issue.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5GGCVIEYts

There is a company that started in the SF Bay Area that offers a battery exchange system for electric vehicles.  When you purchase an electric vehicle, you can buy it with the manufacturer's battery or you can get the exchangeable battery.  Their batteries are modular and can be removed separately charged on an automated system, then put back into the battery pack for automated installation in the vehicle.  The battery change process appears to take about the same time as filling the gasoline tank of an ICE powered vehicle.  This would reduce the problem with the range issue to the extent that the battery exchange time would be fast enough that one could quickly get back onto the road with little delay.  

A second advantage to the exchangeable battery pack was also noted.  The batteries are charged on a trickle charge basis and the charging power electricity consumption can be moderated to charge when the grid has surplus power from renewable sources, instead of using on demand power that often is generated with high CO2 emitting power sources.  According to the promoters of this system, the trickle charge system extends the battery life, and does not degrade the battery as does a rapid high voltage charging system.  

A third, and very important, advantage is that these battery while in storage while waiting to be put into vehicle battery packs, can be used to store surplus electricity generated by renewable sources such as solar and wind.  One of the biggest Achilles heels to renewable energy is the fact that it doesn't necessarily produce energy at the moment it is needed.  A nation/worldwide system of exchangeable batteries would go a long way to providing an electric power storage system to provide for the on demand power needs.

We are a long way from building the infrastructure for such a system, but it could solve many problems with the electrification of vehicles, CO2 emissions, renewable energy storage, and would create a phenomenal demand for skilled labor.  If we don't get moving on this quickly, we can be sure that China will.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2022 at 1:49pm
   That sounds like a step forward and if they could use standard size batteries that are interchangeable with different vehicles. One could go to a Walmart auto center and change batteries while they are shopping. Like exchanging a empty propane tank for a full one.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2022 at 2:20pm
That was exactly the idea the battery exchange folks were trying to accomplish, to have interchangeable batteries for all brands of electric cars, just like almost all gasoline works in all internal combustion engines.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2022 at 3:18pm
That is not a new idea. I read about such an idea years ago. The problem is in battery size and compatibility. Manufacturers would need to standardize on size, shape, and capacity of battery packs for this to work. Look at your average Walmart's battery assortment. Car manufacturers can't even standardize starting batteries. While it is a good thought, I don't see it happening unless it is mandated. I would object to that because it would then stifle innovation which certainly is needed.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2022 at 3:43pm
The battery packs are relatively uniform.  The modular batteries inside the battery packs can be made to a uniform ASME standard, just like nuts and bolts, or saw blades.  Either we can choose to do it or we'll all be buying Chinese electric cars.  I'd prefer that we have a viable electric car manufacturing business here in North America.  It's inevitable that some kind of non-ICE car is going to take over the market, likely electric, so perhaps the best approach, instead of saying no it's too hard or too complicated, is to look for ways to make it work.

I agree the idea of exchangeable battery packs has been around for quite a while, but now there is a system actually in use that works well.  [StephenH, sounds like you didn't watch the video.  It might be worth a gander.]  There is absolutely no reason why basic battery shape and voltage standards cannot be set.  Again, if we don't do it, we can count on the Chinese doing it for us.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2022 at 5:43pm
Sorry LA but I'm with StephenH on this one. While the idea has merits, i doubt very much it's gonna happen, at least not here. Read this:

Battery swapping

With 800V battery systems that can charge in 20 minutes it's just not worth the trouble of having a big automated machine extract and replace a 1000 lb or so battery in your car. And remember that this is quite rare, the vast majority of people with EVs almost always charge at home, so you are constraining battery/vehicle design and technology innovation for what is a small part of the EV market.

Most EV makers now tightly integrate the batteries into the vehicle floor structure, they aren't designed to be readily accessible. This provides some very good benefits, structural rigidity, better space utilization, safety.

Another reason the US market will resist doing it: we highly value independent property ownership and don't like being forced to share things we own. For example it would be very cost effective for us to share use of things like garden tractors and power tools but we don't do it.

Re China, most of us are likely to buy Chinese EVs soon one way or another, just as we already buy Chinese TV screens, solar modules, wind turbines, and, for that matter Li batteries, along with a myriad of other products. China selected and already dominates all those strategic industries and, with the largest car market in the world and a centralized authoritarian government with the power to dictate both standards and top level industrial decision making, will almost certainly end up dominating the electric vehicle market as well. More EVs were sold in China in just December than in thee US in all of 2021.

They're smart too, skipping over even trying to compete in the ICE market, where they would have to play too much technological catch up.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2022 at 6:49pm
OG, did you watch the CNBC report?  They presented a pretty interesting solution to the battery swap issue and claim it can be done in less than 5 minutes, all automated.  The video also claimed that in purchasing an EV that one can select a factory battery or the exchangeable one.  Are you saying that they were untruthful?  

The technology can exist for battery swaps, just like many do with propane tanks, if we set our minds to make it work.  As with all technological innovations, you can be negative and come up with a million reasons why it won't work, but clever creative people look for ways to make it work.  For my self, I'd like to see a viable EV industry here in North America.  

As for sharing tools, apparently you don't live in a community where there are tool lending libraries.  They thrive and are built on community sharing, just like public book libraries.  They are located all over the country, indeed, in many places in the world.  

Before you attack ideas, at least take a look at the CNBC report, which it appears that you did not do.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2022 at 7:54pm
Give me a break LA. Of course I looked at the article you shared. I'm well aware of what Nio and a couple of others are trying to do in China.

Did you look at the article I sent? It acknowledges the 5 minute swap, but points out that a 20 minute recharge is close enough that it's not worth doing it. (Nio claims to be able to do it in 3 minutes actually).

Perhaps the issue here is that some folks are so focussed on replicating the gas station paradigm that they don't realize that that is not how people in the US reenergize their EVs

Certainly battery swapping can be done, but that doesn't mean it's the best way. There would inevitably be vehicle design compromises involved, like in all engineering.

I did not attack anything, I just said it was unlikely to happen here
We'll see if it happens in China. It will be done there first or nowhere, so I don't get how doing that here makes us less dependant on the Chinese. We don't even have a charging standard yet.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2022 at 7:55pm
The original link to the swapping video was not able to be loaded, so I found another one. It is interesting that the vehicles pictured were small passenger cars. Nothing in that video convinces me that I would be able to get into such a facility for a battery swap with a vehicle large enough to tow with and hitched up to a trailer for a battery swap. Nice idea, but no go for me. For those in an urban area, this idea might work, but I don't see a network of these sufficient for a long trip in place for many, many years. How many of these swapping stations would need to be built? Where would they be located?

Meanwhile, perhaps a solid-state battery will be viable, but not any time soon according to this Forbes article:

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>