This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > General non-pod discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Elecgric Vehicles - F250 Lightning - Event Date: 16 Mar 2022

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Elecgric Vehicles - F250 Lightning
    Posted: 28 Mar 2022 at 11:30am
We agree StephenH.  I have no interest in living in a little cabin without a dishwasher, AC, heat, etc.   On the other hand, I have no desire to use gigawatts of power "mining" bitcoin either.  It's a question of moderation, respect for the gift of our world, and a willingness to be open and creative in managing the problems we humans have made for ourselves.  I feel optimistic that we can, to a reasonable extent, have our cake and eat it too.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2022 at 6:52am
OK LA, if I remind you of the old elevator engineers then you remind me of the gulls who invested in Theranos.

More than likely I adopt new tech faster than you do. I don't have time or money to be in the innovator category of tech adoption, trialling the bleeding edge beta stuff, but I typically am next in line for things that make sense to me making me a so-called early adopter. For example, I set just set up my Starlink system last weekend. I've been wait listed for close to a year now, and finally got my gen 2 system, with the covered rectangular antenna that cats can't sleep in, blocking the signal. The first gen would have been a problem for me in the winter, I have three barn cats who would have loved its nice warm snow melt feature.

Ever heard of "fake it till you make it"? I can't find one single auto manufacturers who has partnered with Ample. Can you? They modified those Nissan Leafs, and they don't say how many there are. The Leaf uses laminate type cells which are fabricated into blocks and are air cooled only, no liquid cooling like everyone else uses. So they're prone to running hotter and having shortened battery life. But relatively easy to modify. The statements that that woman at Ample made in the video that everyone uses similar batteries is flat out a lie.

If you want to see a real world battery swap system look up what Nio is doing in China. That is interesting and appears to work in that market to some extent, which is an urban use market. the Chinese do not have a century of history of travelling around their huge country in autos or big trucks towing trailers, nor do they have a century of investment in sprawling suburbia. The newly minted middle class Chinese live in urban high rise apartments and use their spanking new cars in their urban locales. the battery swap business model has benefits in this kind of environment.

The issue here is not that I am rejecting new technology it's that you are not seeing where the technology is headed. Every month batteries get cheaper, lighter, and faster to charge. Each of these steps whittles away at the battery swap business opportunity. Why would anyone want to swap batteries in 10 minutes if they can recharge them in 20 the few times they need to charge on the road? No one is going to even consider it unless they don't have a way to way to charge at home. I think it's likely that battery swapping is a technology whose window of opportunity in the mainstream US EV market has come and gone

Re hydrogen, that was a non starter.
There are many things that just don't pass the smell test from a physics and engineering standpoint. One is hydrogen fueled vehicles. It is horribly inefficient compared to batteries and there isn't going to be some magic tech that changes that because that would violate physical laws. Hydrogen is promoted by the fossil fuel as "clean" but it's anything but. The vast majority is produced from methane with CO2 as a byproduct. One of those cases of the "cure" being worse than the disease.

Re Gemany, they plan on shutting down their last nukes this year. Let's see if they actually do it. Their grid is running on around 40-ish percent renewables, of which only a small fraction is hydro and biomass, the vast majority being solar and wind.

Gemant electricity

Can they get to zero fossil fuel content? Certainly they can deploy enough renewables and very cheaply too. The issue is of course storage. Grid scale storage solutions other than batteries require storage of gravitational potential energy, which in turn requires heavy mass at a height. There aren't a lot of places to put more large scale pumped storage, so things like cranes and concrete and or heavily loaded trains on long grades would required. I think V2G EV technology will be a leading player as well. We'll see if they can do it. They can if anyone can, just as they were the world leaders pushing solar forward0 all through the '00"s.

Very few folks are going to voluntarily give up theyr high energy consumption lifestyles. The problem is that more and more people around the world are achieving a level of consumption that we have had for many generations. It's unfair of us to think that they will give up that opportunity just to let us continue to enjoy our way of life.

That's what the folks who complain about the carbon reduction agreements that allow the Chinese and indians to surpass our emissions don't seem to get. Those countries have 3 or 4x our population so can be higher CO2 emitters while their per capita emissions remain far below ours. It's like the population of tiny Luxembourg (579,000 people/10 megatons total annual CO2/17.5tons per capita) complaining about the US (323,000,000 people/5 trillion tons/15.5 tons per person) being a horrible polluter. We'd tell them to go look in a mirror, right?

In the end we need to expect that everyone want to have a higher standard of living so per capita emissions will be similar throughout the world. So, we need to get over our entitled attitudes and solve this global problem together. Either the high per capita emitting countries cut back and the low per capita emitters stay low, we reduce the global population, or we all brush up on our swimming skills.

Yep and quite wasting energy doing incredibly stupid stuff like "mining" cryptocurrencies. I'd hate to think what our great grandchildren will make of us for that nonsense.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2022 at 8:18am
OG, I am not in competition with you. 

I posted the article because it was an interesting development in the evolution of EV's.  I am not, and have never, advocated that battery swapping is the only viable solution to the long range travel problem with battery powered vehicles.  It was nothing more than something interesting worth sharing.  I make no pretense at knowing all there is to know about alternative energy systems.  I leave it to people far more knowledgable than you, OG, to inform me about what new systems may be on the horizon.  

Anyone can shoot down ideas that others propose, especially when one's ego is involved.  The reality is that the technology is developing much faster and more broadly than even the self described "experts" are aware of.  It is entirely possible that some very talented engineers and scientists, who are actually doing real time research into non-fossil fuel energy development, will find solutions that no one ever thought of before, despite being told they're wasting time by people who retired many years ago.  

Some, myself included, like to look at new ideas as being like a glass half full, while others like to point out it is half empty.

Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2022 at 10:43am
I'm of the firm belief that no single thing will solve the energy issue. It will take all of the "solutions" we know of today, plus probably ones that none of us can think of. Solar and wind have the intermittency issue. Nuclear has safety and political issues (with the possible exception of fusion; but that is perpetually 10 years in the future). Geothermal has probably not been explored enough, plus it turns out there is a tremendous amount of lithium in at least "some" geothermal sites. I heard an operator of one geothermal site saying they can extract 20 thousand tons of lithium annually from just that one geothermal site. Fossil fuels have all the pollution issues we are all familiar with. Don't get me started on coal.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Ciberpine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ciberpine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2022 at 1:14pm
Thumbs Up  Thank you LO and OG for a very good discussion.  I have learned much and appreciate your willingness to share your knowledge and thoughts, as for everyone else on this thread.
One underlying assumption in the discussion is that CO2 is BAD.  I am an Arborist by trade, so know a little about what makes trees tik.  They love CO2 and more is better.  The same for most all plants.
I don't think we have the capacity to understand the complexities of the earths atmosphere and geography.  Modeling is at best guessing and can be, at worst, dishonest.
I love the idea of EV's for many reasons, chief is the idea of moving the pollution source out of the urban areas and making our air healthier.  I have driven a hybrid for the past 6 years, and I look forward to an EV truck that makes economic and functional sense.  At that point, I most likely will be a buyer. 
Thank you again, for the good discussion and I learned a lot.
Scott and Noreen
2017 R-Pod 190, 2011 Toyota Tundra
Pilgrims on the way to the Celestial City
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2022 at 6:46am
Ciberpine, the atmospheric physics of carbon dioxide heat trapping have been well understood for long over a century, no modelling required. That has nothing to do with whether plants like CO2 or not. Of course they do, photosynthesis can't work without it.

The point is that if you increase the amount of heat being trapped in the atmosphere the Earth's average temperature goes up until a new equilibrium is reached where the heat getting radiated back into space again balances with the heat being absorbed from the sun. Has to, the heat has to go somewhere, energy is not created or destroyed, just moved around.

So more CO2 means higher temps which means the glaciers melt more which means sea levels go up. That is happening now (measured, not modeled) and has happened in the past. Last time CO2 levels were this high was about 3 million years ago and sea levels were about 30-50 feet higher than now. That is called the Mid-Pliocene Warm Period.

Since about 10 percent of the world's population lives on low lying sea coasts all those folks will need to find somewhere else to live, make a living and get their food. I did exactly that 4 years ago, moved from Hatteras NC which is flooding more and more often, to SW VA at 2700 ft elevation. But we were lucky enough to have the resources to be able to do that proactively. Most people around the world do not.

Sea level rise is just one effect, others are stronger storms (because a warmer atmosphere contains more energy in the form of water vapor) and droughts in some areas and floods in others, as the climate shifts around.

None of the above takes elaborate modeling to understand. All you have to do is look at the actual temps, actual sea level changes, actual CO2 level changes, weather pattern changes, and the geological record. Where the modelling comes in is in trying to predict how soon, how much change, and which areas are going to be effected by what change.

That modeling is certainly imperfect but gets better all the time. And real scientists can't get away with lying because the whole point of science is to be able to demonstrate repeatability. If others can't replicate one scientists results then it ain't science and gets thrown out. So yes there are cases of scientists faking their data but that is a career ending event when discovered so it's quite rare.

But the big picture effect is not in doubt because you can measure it and it's happened before. Will it end the human race? Of course not, unless we do it to ourselves by fighting wars over resources or transmitting new diseases during the migrations.

Will it result in loss of biodiversity as many species die off? Of course. Plants and animals are adapted to live where they live. When things change they either have to be able to change too or move, same as the people. Some species will be able to do that but many others won't.

Will it change the world for some folks it in some really devastating ways? Yes absolutely. Will some folks be better off? Probably.

So what we need to do is decide to what extent we want to slow down and manage the changes. That's a political process which is out of bounds on this forum so I'll stop there. But the rest of the above is straightforward to understand without recourse to complex modeling.

In any event I'm happy even if climate change deniers (not saying you are one) adopt EVs and/or solar for other reasons. There are plenty of things to like about them and the result is the same regardless of the reasons. So it's all good

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2022 at 7:18am
Yes LA, someone's ego does seem to have come into play here. Its a forum, we don't have to all agree with your posts. Or anyone's.

I responded to your post that, like most folks analysing this, including all the vehicle OEMs, battery swapping has been tried before and is unlikely to be widely applicable here in the US.

That is not a controversial position. I even pointed you at a market and an OEM (one of several) in China that is doing battery swapping at scale in a very different market.

Rather than acknowledging that you decided to double down and began insulting me, ending up with that old banal saying about the glass being half full or empty.

So let's move on, it's clear that it's a waste of electrons pointing out alternative views to yours. What would be the point in getting other perspectives on a topic?
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2022 at 8:26am
I would like to point out that what we think of as established science today might not be tomorrow as we find out more. Is the climate changing? Yes. It is always changing. We have everything from the Mid-Pliocene Warm Period to the Ice Ages. Which is the perfect climate? These happened long before our industrial age. Then there is the Little Ice Age ( https://instaar.colorado.edu/research/projects/cause-and-onset-of-little-ice-age/ ). How much of our warming is due to coming out of that still? Where is the equilibrium point that is the one for which we should aim? How do we get to it? If we were to have a couple of large volcanic eruptions of the Krakatoa scale, we would be back to talking about global cooling and how to keep that from happening. That was back in the 70's when talk was of spreading carbon on the ice to promote solar absorption to keep the earth from cooling. That appears to be quite foolish today. What we are being told today might appear to be equally foolish a few years down the road.

In any case, we probably need to get back to discussing the merits of various electric vehicles and whether they are suited for towing and not stay on climate which has already led to discord.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Pod People View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2022 at 9:14am
I consider myself to be normally intelligent and aware of the ecology,science and usefulness of energy technology on a layman's level-not professional.

My plan is to continue using an ICE vehicle for our towing and use a hybrid or EV  for in town and short trips. we have suitcase portable solar panels for the Rpod and use them all the time.  We have a passive solar room on the south side of our house which adds to our heat system. We tried to get roof top solar panels, but as Stephen noted, we are not willing to lose all of our trees in order to get the necessary exposure. We live in the country and use propane powered appliances.

so I think our overall energy plan is viable for the present-maybe not the optimum, but a livable,workable and affordable compromise that  works for us. I would be happy to change IF/WHEN those energy changes make financial sense and correlate with our lifestyle.

Safe travels
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2022 at 3:12pm
As I said before, there are a lot of very smart engineers and scientists actually working now on solutions to reduce and eventually eliminate the use of fossil fuels.  The are coming up with new ideas all the time, even using concepts that may have been previously rejected as impractical because they found ways around the impediments.  In every form of alternate energy there are problems that have to be overcome, whether it is serious environmental damage from lithium and nickel mining, energy storage and portability, and so on.  I am optimistic that most of these problems can be overcome and am not going to reject any ideas until they have been fully explored and proven to be unworkable. 

Each advocate of some form of energy technology has his/her own perspective and biases.  Those opposed to nuclear energy, for example, point to the waste disposal problem and claim that it is insurmountable.  They may be right, but at this point the question is still open.  The same for fuel cell technology.  It is filled with issues that make it problematical, but it is worth the effort to keep on investigating it.  EV's are no different.  It is a technology in its infancy and we would be well advised to keep an open mind in regard to all possibilities.  Battery swapping certainly has its detractors and complexities, but it is premature to absolutely rule it out.  Everyday, people currently working in scientific fields are coming up with new approaches and it would be just plain foolish not to keep one's mind open to the possibility of new discoveries.  StephenH, is right when he observes that what we think of as settled science today may not be tomorrow.  

Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>