R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Refrigerator Not Cooling

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
offgrid View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Refrigerator Not Cooling
    Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 2:29pm
If your TV already uses the ignition to switch the +12 feed to the 7 way, then it's very simple. Just cut the +12V wire from the trailer side of the 7 way connector. Run the connector side of the cut wire to the input of the DC/DC converter. The other cut end connects to the DC/DC output. That's it.   
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 12:59pm
Going back to the lead acid battery:  My one year old Trojan T-1275 (12v golf cart battery) is rated at 166 aH which is a lot more than my 11.5 year old Interstate.  Regardless we will be putting that to the test while being gone for 30 days, most of that being offgrid as we will spend a lot of time in the national parks, my two favorite being RMNP (Estes Park, CO) and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon.  Also looking forward to re-visiting the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, CO.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 12:01pm
Or have a vehicle that has a disconnect for the 12V supply built in. My Nissan appears to cut power after a short time. I had installed a dedicated cut-off, wiring, and 2-pole connector for the DC to DC charger. I disconnected the 12V wire from the junction box for the connector cable that plugs into the Bargman connector so I would not be feeding power back through to the Frontier.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 11:55am
One other thing if youre contemplating a Li conversion: if you want to charge from your alternator while towing it is best practice to install a DC/DC converter. The TV voltage regulator is set for lead acid and typically wont charge a Li battery properly. The DC/DC output should be set for the proper change voltage of your Li batteries and should be rated at around 20A and can be installed in the trailer. It (and only it) is connected to the 12V pin of your 7 way connector. You will need to either disconnect when you stop or install a relay I the 12V supply to the TV side of the 7 way so it is only energized when the ignition is on. Also check your solar charge controller to see if it can be set for Li batteries.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 9:41am
Depends on which power center you have. If it is the WFCO 8955, then order the WFCO-8950L2 MBA and it is a simple matter of switching the converter.

https://www.amazon.com/WFCO-WF-8950L2-MBA-Replacement-Converter-Lithium-Ion/dp/B07TZNCFG4

As for changing refrigerators, see my mods and you will see what I did. The size of the Dometic Coolmatic CRX-1110 is different than the RM-8951. It is a little shorter and a little wider. you will need to modify the opening to fit. I raised the floor with a platform. In hindsight, it would have been easier to use a filler board at the top instead.

You will need to cap off the gas line (I did and left the end exposed for inspection). Alternately, find where it fits into the manifold beneath and remove the connection there, plugging the port instead. Ultimately, that is better as it removes the possibility of the hose wearing and leaking. I will likely do that soon.

Sources for the refrigerator are several. I purchased from here:

An alternative source is here:

Amazon is also a source, but it is a higher price than either.

My one dislike about the refrigerator is the freezer door. It opens from the bottom, not the top like the 3-way and is not removable. I have found that on rough roads, the magnetic catch isn't quite strong enough and it can come open. I started putting a refrigerator bar across it and that takes care of it. I like that it has a catch top center that can be changed to hold the door ajar for storage ventilation. It is much better than the 3-way's method.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
mikeyg2347 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote mikeyg2347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 9:30am
How difficult is the charger change out?
Mike
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 9:24am
BTW, 100ah Li batteries are down around $350-400 now from many online suppliers. If it wasn't for the charger change out I think it would be a no brainer to make the change. I really don't understand why RV manufacturers are still using lead acid.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 9:17am
If you have a couple hundred amp hours battery capacity you should be fine, it doesn't have to be lithium. You might want to get a second 100-120 watt solar module and/or carry a small generator depending on how long you intend to boondock between recharges and how much sun you get where you camp.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mikeyg2347 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote mikeyg2347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 9:05am
If it's the gas valve that is a $450 item, which is a good down payment on a compressor refrigerator. Stephen, I know you've done that. If I went that route can I get by with my two 6-volt battery system or is it necessary to convert to lithium? Currently I have a 100 wat Renogy solar system I use to charge.  If I were to convert, is that a complicated process? Seems like I fight my fridge on an annual basis and I'm about ready to throw in the towel.
Mike
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 9:00am
It is definitely possible that the solenoid for the valve has gone bad. As to whether you can hear it engaging or not, I don't know. I never listened for it when we had the 3-way refrigerator.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>