R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

12 to 6 v battery switchout

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
EchoGale View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote EchoGale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12 to 6 v battery switchout
    Posted: 05 Dec 2022 at 8:38pm
Thanks to you both. 

The batteries were connected and only "disconnected" via the disconnect switch, so if it is bad that would explain.  I expect I can test that by hooking the new batteries up, setting the disconnect switch to "off" and then checking to see if my interior lights work.  Right? If the switch is bad can it drain enough power to deplete the batteries while not enough for my lights to work?

I'll check that pin. These are good ideas but I can't check them out until at least Thursday.  I'll keep checking here to add to my list of things to check and I'll report back. Thanks so much for the help.

Great about Costco though, right? I bet they won't do it more than once though  ;)
Julie
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2022 at 8:25pm
Flooded batteries will self-discharge. Even so, two months is rather short unless there was some load on them that you did not know about. How about the pin for the towing disconnect cable? Is it perchance pulled? That would put a heavy load on the batteries.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tars Tarkas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2022 at 8:17pm
I'll be interested to hear how this sorts out.  That's great about Costco replacing them!  From what you've said, I don't see the problem.  Two sixes in series is the same as 2 12s in parallel, as far as voltage is concerned.  Were the batteries totally disconnected or were they connected with a disconnect switch in the circuit?  Could be a bad switch.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
EchoGale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote EchoGale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2022 at 4:27pm
Greetings:

Three months ago I replaced my 12 volt batteries (I had 2) with 2 6 volt golf cart batteries. I checked and re-checked to be sure that they were connected properly in serial. They have been sitting for 2 months, water level checked, and battery disconnect switch off.

Today I checked them and found that they are dead. One is reading 0.0. and the other a little over 10. one has developed an small bulge in the top of the case. Costco can't check them or put a charge on them but the good news is that they said if I bring them in they'll just replace them!

Before I put the new ones in I want to make sure I didn't do something wrong that caused this. Did I need to make other changes for this switch from dual 12 to dual 6? Am I wrong that a couple of months sitting (while disconnected) shouldn't be a problem?

While I know they are dead because I tested them with my multimeter and because when I turned the disconnect switch on the lights weren't working, but is there anything different about using my multimeter on these batteries than there was on my 12 volt (also connected in series)?

Thanks for the help  :)

Julie
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345