R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

12 to 6 v battery switchout

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote EchoGale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12 to 6 v battery switchout
    Posted: 07 Dec 2022 at 7:35am
Again, thanks so much for al the help. I'll be able to pursue the suggestions later today (I hope). Some follow-up points:

1) They sat for just under two months

2) After a couple of years of reading about the 6 v batteries I never saw that they can discharger faster, I wish I had as I might not have done it because my camper is parked where I cannot plug it in.

3) I don't have an "off season" so I guess I'll try to get a solar tender.

3) I have this same kind of  disconnect switch and I keep it set on "off" or "both"

One day I'm going to make it to a rally in hopes of having someone teach me to use my multimeter. I only know how to test the charge on my batteries. This is way beyond my capabilities (honestly, with I can't even read this lol):
" Put your multimeter on the ohms scale and connect it across the switch terminals. You should get an open circuit (or very high ohms) reading with the switch open. Then with the switch still disconnected from the battery  close the switch and measure the ohms again. You should get a reading in the 0 to 1 or so ohms range." Just for fun I put the terms I don't understand in italics.  :)

You all have been awesome as always; I'll report back.

Julie
hogone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hogone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2022 at 8:09am
Im with you EchoGale!!!  Multimeters are way beyond me (BTW, I had to spend 2 years in kindergarten!!).  jon
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2022 at 8:33am
Okay. I think I can help with this.

Ohms scale:  On your meter, you should have a dial with various things like DCV (Direct Current Volts), ACV (Alternating Current Volts - your usual house plugs are 120V AC), DCA (DC Amperes), ACA (AC Amperes), Ohms (May be on the dial as a Greek letter Ω (Omega) which is the symbol for Ohms) and possibly battery test and transistor test functions. Ohms may be divided into 2000k, 200k, 20k, 2000, and 200 Ohms. Your meter may be different. Ohms is the symbol used to measure resistance.

Take the multimeter and put it on one of the Ohms settings. You should have a reading of 1, which indicates that there is no current flowing. Touch the tips together. The digital display should change to 0.00 for digital or the needle should move to 0 on the OHMS scale on a meter with a dial and needle. That is what indicates that there is a closed circuit and that current is flowing. If the reading is anything but zero, then that is the resistance of the circuit.

your battery switch should have three connections. One goes to one battery, one to the second battery, and the third to the load (the trailer wiring). With the batteries disconnected, turn the switch to Off. Put one probe on the terminal that leads to the load. Touch the other two terminals, one at a time with the other probe. The reading should stay at 1 (or very high on an analog meter). Turn the switch to battery 1. Again, one probe goes to the load, the other to the terminal for battery 1. The meter should move to 0 or very close to it. Touch 2 and it should stay at 1. Move the switch to battery 2. Again, one probe goes to the load and the other probe goes to the battery 2 terminal. The reading should be 0 or close to it. Then touch the Battery 1 terminal. The battery 1 terminal should remain at 1. Last, turn the switch to Off. Touch the Battery 1 and Battery 2 connections. The reading should remain at 1. If all these give you the results I mentioned, then your switch is functioning normally. 

I hope this helps clarify for you what was meant.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
EchoGale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote EchoGale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2022 at 11:49am
Stephen this is very kind of you and I will try but, I know its hard for you to fathom because it seems so obvious to you,  but  this is still over my head. Like I do not know what a terminal is. I'm not asking you to explain, just trying to communicate why I don't completely understand. We live on different planets.  :)
Julie
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2022 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by lostagain

We keep our trailer plugged in all year and have been doing so since we first bought ourPod.  The batteries have been fine and when I've periodically checked the water level, it was always where it should be except in the NV summer heat, when it dropped a tad.
+1 Same. I do have a reminder every 3 months to check the water.

When we stored our Rpod in a storage facility for a while, we pulled the batteries and kept them on a bench. That was a bit of a pain, as I would put them on a charger periodically. I guess you could also put them on a trickle charger, which is not an expensive proposition.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2022 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by EchoGale

Stephen this is very kind of you and I will try but, I know its hard for you to fathom because it seems so obvious to you,  but  this is still over my head. Like I do not know what a terminal is. I'm not asking you to explain, just trying to communicate why I don't completely understand. We live on different planets.  :)

A terminal is a place where a wire attaches. The wire terminates there. Thus, terminal. If a wire does not attach to anything, nothing happens. I would like to help you understand. Thanks for letting me know that I left that part out of my previous reply. We all start from somewhere. There was a time when I did not know what a terminal was either or many other things.

StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
hogone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hogone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2022 at 4:54pm
Oh my, all this talk on batterys got me thinkin.  I bought two 6 volts about 3 years ago, and for some strange reason I always thought they were sealed.  So I decided tonight I would be curious and check.  NOPE!!!!  Used over a gallon of distilled water topping them off.  Dam, my parents should of kept me in 3 years of kindergarten.  Obviously 2 wasnt enough!!  jon 
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2022 at 5:08pm
Good thing you checked. A gallon of distilled water is a lot of water. They must have been quite low.

StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
hogone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hogone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2022 at 5:15pm
Ya, I would say over a gallon is quite a bit!!  I'm sure I have degraded them. I do have another question.  I am only assumming batteries are intially filled with battery acid.  I recall when I was younger when I would by motorcycle batterys, the acid came in a separate container and you would fill the battery yourself.  I have always known to top off with distilled water, but why water instead of acid??  jon
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2022 at 7:15pm
Why? Because as the water is turned to oxygen and hydrogen as the battery charges or evaporates from heat, the sulfuric acid becomes more and more concentrated. Adding distilled water restores it to the proper dilution for proper operation.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>