This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > General non-pod discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Ford F150 Lightning towing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ford F150 Lightning towing
    Posted: 13 Dec 2022 at 10:01am
I can make stinky dump runs and go to an Irish music concert all dressed up in my F-150.  The only reason we hang on to the Mazda is to have a second car if my wife ever learns to drive and for trips to JFK where we don't want the truck dinged in the crazy parking lots.  I have no problem carrying 16' lumber and have a thingy that fits into the trailer hitch to keep it balanced and not dragging on the road.  If it's heavy enough that I can't carry it that way, I can have it delivered.

I'm not comparing an F-150 with luxury cars.  I personally don't understand people spending $100K on a pickup truck and many of them buy one of those pretend trucks like a Honda Ridgline or a Cadillac Escalade.  That is a world in which I don't cruise and, like you, would have to speculate about the ride quality of any of the vehicles.  To replace our Mazda CX-5 it would cost almost as much as to replace our F-150 and for me the F-150 is a better value.  

Yes, it's all personal opinion, but the fact remains that towing a single axle travel trailer across the country and boondock camping with an all electric vehicle would be pretty challenging.  We agree that all electric trucks have their use in a local short trip environment.  On the other hand, towing long distances and remote destinations might be better served by a hybrid.

Oh, and the gas cap:  those little plastic string  break all the time, especially when it's real cold, and the little ratchet devices inside the cap break too.  I've had to replace several.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2022 at 10:47am
We're similar to LA. Our F150 is the crew cab with the long bed. You have to call ahead to make a U-turn, but otherwise it's the most comfortable ride we have. Even when we're not towing, it is absolutely the best on the highway. Coincidentally, we also have a CX-5 for when we visit relatives in San Francisco. The F150 is a massive PITA to park there. The spaces between driveways is barely large enough for the CX-5, and almost completely impossible for the F150. Heck, we can't even park the F150 in our nephew's driveway without it hanging out over the sidewalk.

Most of our town errands are in the CX-5. It is a blast going up and down the mountain roads. It's like it's on rails. Just a joy to drive. It's pretty smooth and relatively quiet, but nothing like the F150.

We also have a crew cab/long bed Tacoma. It is a marvelous truck, but it doesn't get as good mileage on the road, and it's not as quiet or comfortable as the F150.

And finally, the F150 is just a beast when it comes to towing most things. Sure, it can't really handle a 10K+ trailer, but we really don't do that.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Linda&Gino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linda&Gino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2022 at 11:02am
Being the new owner of a F150 XLT, Super crew, 4X4 with the 3.5 ecoboost, I can tell you the first thing I asked my self after we towed the Rpod on its last trip was "what the heck took me so long to get one of these?" Better mileage than our Nissan Frontier 4.0 all the way around including towing. Better power, better brakes, and an immensely better traveling experience which improves safety by also reducing fatigue. 

Now that I tow a fifth wheel, the tonneau cover (Gator SFX trifold) will fold back to make way for hitching and towing. If I need to haul something big, I can loosen 4 thumb screws and lift the cover off, by myself and have an open bed. Oh, and the fifth wheel hitch? It's an Andersen Ultimate Hitch which clamps to a hideaway gooseneck ball. When I am done towing, I unhook the AUH which only weighs 40lbs, lift it out of the bed, flip the gooseneck ball over and I have a clean 6.5' bed to haul stuff. Need 8'? Lower the tailgate.

Comfort and tech are not a bad things. I have yet to find a feature on the F150 that doesn't make it more useful and pleasurable in it's role as a TV. As for the F150 Lightning, not for me... yet. I think it will be a while before an all electric TV will be practical, however I believe that having a combo EV TV and a trailer with electric assist may be an achievable solution sooner.
gpokluda
2017 Rpod R179 SOLD!
2022 Escape 5.0 TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 EB3.5
Triumph T120 Bonneville
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2022 at 11:29am
I think GlueGuy, Linda&Giino, and I should be hired by Ford to write ad copy for them.  I'm sure they pay their ad agency handsomely. 
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2022 at 12:36am
Im miles from the nearest garbage pickup where I live, so my 5 garbage and recycling cans stay in the horse trailer till they're full, when I make my dump run, once a month or so, sooner if I need the trailer for hauling something. No garbage service but we do have plenty of bears. If I left the cans in the back of a pickup the garbage would be spread over an acre or so by morning. Ask me how I know Cry

Hybrid drivetrains are great as fuel savers. I've really enjoyed my Prius (ad copy for Toyota), but it only has a 1.5kwh battery, good for stop and go city traffic and regen brake energy recovery,  nothing else.

When you start adding battery capacity to create a plug in hybrid they become somewhat compromised. You wind up with a heavier, more  expensive vehicle that gets poorer fuel economy than a regular hybrid but doesn't have a lot of  EV range  The best EV range of any volume manufactured plug in hybrid is the RAV4 Prime, with an 18kwh battery  giving it a  40 mile or so EV range.  I couldn't get to the grocery store and back without the ICE having to run. A plug in hybrid pickup would need a bigger battery (probably around 30kwh for roughly 300lbs extra weight and maybe $5k additional cost including charge port)   to have a similar  40 mile  EV range. For folks here whose primary use case is long distance towing it would be a bad deal compared to a straight ICE or hybrid. 

So I think the gasser F150 ICE is a great choice for a long distance  tow vehicle.  The electric  Lightning Pro (at the original $39k, not after all Ford's price increases and not the $100k version with all the luxury stuff) would have been a better fit for me and for other individuals and fleet operators who have a similar use case.  See  I could write ad script for Ford too.

If I had a Lightning  I'd still use the horse trailer frequently for hauling stuff. Easier to load, larger, covered,  more secure. Or a utility trailer for the occasional larger loads. But I don't  need to own one of those, I buy enough stuff at Tractor Supply that I always have a free rental or two. Gotta love their good neighbors program (ad copy for TSC). 

But a new pickup is outside my budget now, I have to save some dollars for the RV electrical upgrades. So I'm sticking with my Highlander and horse trailer combo for now. That combo does everything a pickup would do for me and more,  and I own them. BTW, I've never had a gas cap  lanyard break on one of my Toyotas, perhaps another testament to their reputation for reliability (more ad copy for Toyota). 

Now back to sorting out the rats' nest of 1990s contactors, isolation switches, boost switches, emergency start switches,  multiple batteries, and low voltage disconnects in the Chinook....
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2022 at 9:23am
Looks like Motor Trend named the F150 Lightning Truck of the Year.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/ford-f-150-lightning-2023-truck-of-the-year/
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2022 at 6:58am
Coincidentally Ford just sent me an email saying I can order my Lightning now (been on the wait-list since May). 

So I go online to see what I can get and the lowest priced Pro version now starts at $55k (up from $39k when first released). On top of that the website said it's unavailable and I have to contact my dealer. The cheapest version I could actually order was in the high 60s. 

Not being made of money I think I'll pass on the Lightning and stick with the Chevy Bolt I have on order for about 1/3 of that....
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
hank*pod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote hank*pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2022 at 8:28am
Originally posted by offgrid

Not being made of money I think I'll pass on the Lightning and stick with the Chevy Bolt I have on order for about 1/3 of that....
The latest Consumer Reports doesn't have good things to say about the reliability of either (and here I thought EVs were inherently reliable...).
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2022 at 1:20am
Yeah I saw the CR reliability report on the Bolt. There's something odd there as it shows two major problem areas. One is the "engine", eg the electric motor. The other is the electrical system, which includes the high voltage battery. 

The latter problem area is well known, anyone following EVs knows about the huge recall GM had to make because of LG Battery's manufacturing defect causing a number of cars to catch fire. They wound up replacing every single battery pack up through the first 2022's before they halted production. 

So I'm reasonably  confident that problem has been fixed, there is way too much at stake for GM and LG to screw that fix up again.   In the meantime, every Bolt owner is of course going to have given the car a very poor rating in that category.

What I can't figure out is what's going on with the poor reliability report in CRs major engine category. I can find zero actual motor failures on any Bolt forums or other websites.  I suspect that it's a mis categorization of problems by owners surveyed. CR probably needs to clarify how to categorize problems with EVs in their surveys, not just try to use the same xategories they use with ICE vehicles. 

There have been numerous reports of drive systems shutdowns, gear engagement lockouts, etc over the Bolt model years. Those have apparently been corrected by software updates, but disappointingly they keep happening to some degree. Of course, similar software problems also occur with recent model ICE vehicles. People who think that software problems shouldnt happen haven't written any software. Just because it's easier to implement software fixes than hardware ones doesn't mean it's easier to get things right to begin with. 

Other issues have been mostly related to fit and finish problems. Those are to be expected. After all, Chevrolet has never been the go to brand for top material and build quality. That's got nothing to do with whether the car is an EV or not, and we should all expect there to still be a ranking of build and material quality in EVs from the various manufacturers as the electric transition occurs. None of them are anywhere near as awful as FR's rpod quality standards though.LOL..

So am I taking a risk of customer dissatisfaction buying a Chevy Bolt EV? Yep, for sure, especially as we're a long time Toyota family and so have been spoiled by owning vehicles which for decades  have had excellent reliability and build quality. 

Why take the risk? Because I can tolerate the risk, we are a multiple vehicle family, I'm retired and my wife works from home, and because I want to be part of this transition sooner rather than later, and to do it with a vehicle that is affordable by the average middle class American family, (about $30k max I think) not some overpriced luxury  vehicle like a Tesla that only the wealthy who want to make some kind of personal statement can afford.  Besides, I can't stand Elon.

If you arent rich and rely on a single vehicle  to get to work every day then I'd suggest a reliable affordable hybrid like the Prius rather than a budget EV at this point.

So I consider myself to be still an early adopter, not for EVs in general but certainly in the realm of budget EVs, of which there are really only two, the Bolt and the Nissan Leaf. The rest are either well above budget price ranges or are emmissions compliance vehicles with limited regional availabiity, like the Hyundai Kona EV. The Leaf was not under my consideration as it comes with a Japenese standard ChaDeMo charge port, not the US and Euro standard CCS port. I have no idea why Nissan has stupidly chosen to keep that charge port in what otherwise is by all accounts a pretty nice vehicle, although it too has had it's teething problems.

As for the Ford Lightning, I haven't researched customer issues with that because I'm not actually  considering buying one at this point  In reality it's the first model year for the Lightning and only the second EV from Ford ever,  so one should expect all sorts of new model intro problems to occur.

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2023 at 9:38am
Interesting study about costs of operation on gas, diesel, and electric.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>