This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > General non-pod discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Ford F150 Lightning towing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote mjlrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ford F150 Lightning towing
    Posted: 02 Aug 2023 at 5:16pm
I use a much simpler way of making my decisions on things like this. When everybody in government has to keep telling me over and over how great said item is, I'm pretty sure I know what that means, and I'm all set thanks. Like nobody is constantly telling me how great my Subaru Outback is, and guess what..... it is. Once something is really great, you'll know cause everybody will have / want one. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
hank*pod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote hank*pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2023 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by StephenH

Interesting study about costs of operation on gas, diesel, and electric.
Mangled URL. Try this:
https://www.andersoneconomicgroup.com/many-gas-powered-cars-cheaper-to-fuel-than-electric-in-2023/

I need to see more data on the "fuel" cost per 100 miles for charging at home, including representative EV registration fees (which, amortized over 12,000 miles, might be on the order of 2 or 3 cents per mile).
For a Volvo EX30, with a 51 KW-H battery (full charge on the order of $8 at 15 cents per KW-H) and a range on the order of 270 miles, cost of electricity is $3 per 100 miles.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2023 at 8:59pm
Thanks. I fixed the link in my post. As for fees, I just read that Texas has passed a one-time $400 fee for registration and an annual $200 fee to make up for the loss of highway revenues from them not paying gasoline taxes.

One other reason for taxes on EVs is that the greater weight of the EVs due to the heavy battery packs is that the weight puts more wear and tear on the highways. 

"Extra road wear is another EV trait that may not immediately come to mind. The taxes you pay for EVs may not necessarily be destined for road repairs or improvements, while most of the fuel tax paid by ICE drivers is used towards that. In other words, EVs are causing more wear on the infrastructure, but they are actually paying less to maintain it."
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2023 at 11:02am
The relative cost of ICE fuel and electricity varies all over the place, depending on region. Around here, the high cost of gas/diesel makes it much more expensive than electricity; especially if you can get some or all of it via solar.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mjlrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2023 at 10:42am
So My school is going full bore into the electric vehicle realm. We just added a whole new 3 bay addition to auto tech. Our top admin, after waiting a year or more to get his Lightning, did finally get it. He was all proud of himself, being a visionary, and saving the planet. 6 months into it, he got rid of it. Said it was a total piece of crap, and he would never buy another. He replaced it with a hybrid vehicle, because he still is against the ICE vehicle. I on the other hand have never been happier driving my Subaru Outback. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
I'll be rpodding
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2023 at 9:47am
The change to zero-emission vehicles will be punctuated by fits and starts. It will have to happen, but a lot of people will be kicking and screaming along the way.

https://www.autoblog.com/2023/09/09/california-ev-sales-jump-us-future/

bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2023 at 2:12pm
https://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/fords-ceo-admits-reality-check-during-f-150-lightning-route-66-road-trip

The comments are interesting. What happens when demand for electricity exceeds supply? How is EV charging going to be prioritized if power is needed for critical infrastructure? I would not mind a small EV for in and around town driving, but no way I would be taking one on a long trip. Since we don't have a garage and my wife does not drive, it makes no sense for us to have multiple vehicles so we have the one that works for us.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mjlrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2023 at 4:05pm
The lack of affordability is going to help reduce carbon anyways. People won't be able to afford them, and there won't be anymore ICE engines, problem solved. Of course the unemployment issue might get a bit outta control. 

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
I'll be rpodding
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2023 at 4:50pm
Back from our latest outing. We saw two Hyundai Ioniq 5 SUVs towing. One was towing a small popup, the other what looked like a homemade teardrop. 
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2023 at 5:06pm
It is a pretty sure guess that they were not on a cross-country trip.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>