R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > Mods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Tire replacement - Event Date: 18 Jan 2023

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Geezerbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Tire replacement
    Posted: 25 Feb 2023 at 1:10pm
Interesting. I have a 2022 Rpod 192 with about 800 miles on Goodyear Endurance and they are nearly 60% worn out. Very possible they were not new on the trailer when purchased. 
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2023 at 1:45pm
Did you purchase the trailer new from a dealer?  What was the running pressure you maintained for your 800 miles?  Normally, Goodyear tires are not OEM tires on FR trailers.  Usually you get a set of Westlakes.  If you bought the trailer used it may be that the prior owner put a set of used Goodyear tires on it in place of the originals.  

If the trailer was purchased new from a dealer and if you maintained proper pressure and balance, you may want to check the tire warranty to see if there is some form assistance that may be available for prematurely worn tires, provided they are the OEM tires. The wear pattern in the tire tread should tell the story about inflation and balance.  Same for sidewall condition, insofar as impacts with curbs and such are concerned.  If the dealer swapped out the original OEM Westlakes for used Goodyears, that is something that you may want to take up with the local consumer fraud detail in your county if the dealer doesn't want to make it right.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Geezerbill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Geezerbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2023 at 2:00pm
Thank you for that response Lostagain. I did purchase the unit new from a dealer in Oregon which is 180 miles away from where I live in Washington. After driving the trailer home, the next day I checked tire pressures and found it down nearly seventeen lbs.  I then inflated to five lbs blow the sidewall max inflation value. I then visually compared the tread depth to that of the spare and was shocked at the difference. That is why I feel either the trailer or the tires were not new. Most likely the tires. 

I also have two pending recalls on the pod but chose to have a local dealer to do that to save driving nearly two hundred miles and possibly having to stay overnight away. However, the local dealer seems to have an attitude about doing it. I am awaiting spring before I take it there for the warranty work to be done. 

I will look into the tire warranty and see if I can pursue that. 

Thanks again for your comments!
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2023 at 3:40pm
It really sounds to me like the selling dealer put some used tires on your trailer and didn't bother to properly inflate them when it delivered the trailer.  For r-Pods the normal OEM tires are Westlake brand.  It really sounds like the dealer did a swap and gave you a set of used tires.  With a little tire "dressing" to make them look new, it would not likely be something most people would scrutinize during a purchase, since there is so much other stuff to look at.  It might be worth a call to FR/r-Pod with your VIN in hand and ask them what their records show for the tires they mounted on the trailer.  Usually, tire warranties are from the tire manufacturer and are included in the stack of paperwork you get with the trailer.  Do you have a warranty brochure from Goodyear or Westlake?

Swapping new tires for used ones on the sale of a new vehicle, especially if it is not called to your attention by the selling dealer, is a form of fraud.  Imagine buying a nice new Tesla model X and finding that the tires on it were old and worn out.  When you buy a "new" vehicle of any kind, everything is supposed to be new, unless the seller tells you otherwise and you agree to the used parts.  That includes trailers.  

Seventeen pounds under max pressure for 180 miles should not cause that much wear on the tires, especially ferrying it back home from the dealer where it's likely to not have a lot of extra weight.  Running 5 lbs below on a C or D range tire can cause some excess tread wear on the sides, leaving the center of the tire tread thicker by comparison.  I think you'll find most on this board advocate inflating to the maximum sidewall number.  

Good luck in getting this sorted out.  
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2023 at 10:06am
I wonder, what is the date code on those tires?
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost

Post Options Post Options   Quote Geezerbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2023 at 4:12pm
I believe you are correct. The trailer seemed very new but not the tires. I checked my documentation provided by the dealer yesterday and there is not anything on tires. As you suggested, I am sending an email to FR with the vin code and all buying information with an explanation of why I am requesting the tires provided by them. 

It’s going to be interesting if my tires are not those that were installed at the factory. 

Thank you for your response and informative suggestions. 

Also, please note that I had indeed, inflated to the max per sidewall data, not my five lbs under max as I had stated. 

Post Options Post Options   Quote Geezerbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2023 at 4:14pm
Glue Guy,

The trailer is in storage but possibly I can go over there tomorrow and look and see if I can find it. 

Bill
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2023 at 4:51pm
Geezerbill, it may be worth a phone call to the r-Pod customer service number.  You may want to try this:  Katlyn Mabie (574) 642-3119.  She's the service department rep for the West Coast r-Pod factory.  If she can't help, she'll probably transfer you to someone you can.  

I suspect FR will take this seriously since it can have some legal implications for them and they may want to address the issue with the dealer, which is their agent.

We geezers need to stick together.

Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172

Post Options Post Options   Quote Geezerbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2023 at 8:28pm
Lostagain,

First, indeed we do and thanks for that contact information. 

As my Rpod is a 192 with Murphy bed I do not think it was manufactured on the west cost but I’m not sure about that. 

The big issue as I see it, is I have no way to proved the miles I have used the trailer. It easily could become a pointing game. To lie about it is not in my DNA but I still have zero proof. I did take some photos with a plastic tread depth gage in the on ground tire and the spare but it is difficult to see. 

However, I will indeed call the lady and see what comes out of it. I thank you for the kind, helpful response you have provided me with. 

Bill
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 6:15am
Proving your use in this kind of a situation really should not be an issue with FR, though an unscrupulous dealer may raise the issue because that's their mindset; that everyone cheats like they do.  You are really talking about a dispute that is more one of principle than money, as the total cost of putting new tires on the trailer is well under $400. 

Here's an Indiana number for r-Pod:  574.825.7000.  My experience calling there was for parts, back in the days when they sold parts to their customers, but they were always very friendly and courteous.

We had a recall issue with our 172 when we bought it.  It was used and well out of warranty, but the recall was a safety issue concerning inadequate running lights.  We bought our trainer from a dealer in Los Baños, CA, despite the fact that we lived near Carson City, NV.  I called a local r-Pod dealer in Reno and was told that they would be able to get to it in about a year.  Non-selling dealers simply won't deal with warranty repairs voluntarily.  We took the trailer back to the selling dealer and they did the recall repair, but made a mistake with the wiring.  I worked it out with them to pay a local independent shop to fix their error.  They handled the situation with such integrity that we bought our Sonoma from them as well.  Unfortunately, in the RV world, especially with FR, there is very poor dealer control on the part of the manufacturer.  
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>