R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > Mods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Tire replacement - Event Date: 18 Jan 2023

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote James07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Tire replacement
    Posted: 08 Mar 2023 at 8:33pm
I went with Toyo Open Country A/T on 178.  Drove over 7,000 miles round trip California to Alaska. 
Handled pot holes and frost heaves on the Alcan without any damage.  Happy with tires, except they were already two years old when purchased from Sam's Club.  Lesson learn is to exam tires before they install them.
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 5:33am
Originally posted by James07

Happy with tires, except they were already two years old when purchased from Sam's Club.  Lesson learn is to exam tires before they install them.

Funny you should mention that as when I went to replace my original "Tire King" tires on a 177 at 5 years, it was noted that even though the build date was January 2011 the tires were manufactured during the summer of 2009, so even though they were china tires with 20,000+ miles at the time, no issues were encountered and the tires looked great, even after 7 years.  2016-2020 had Hartland "C" tires - no issues and since then Carlisle Radial Trail "D" tires - a great tire!
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 5:50am
I wonder if the delay between the build date of the trailers and the manufacture date of the tires is the result of supply chain delays or whether the trailer builders are stockpiling tires and not using them up fast enough.  My speculation is that it is a supply chain delay issue.  Perhaps it's time for the trailer builders to be a little more strict with the date of the manufacture of tires when they receive them.  On the other hand, there may be some very good deals on aging out tires when purchased by the thousands and the opportunity to reduce material costs is just too tempting for Mr. Buffet and others.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by lostagain

On the other hand, there may be some very good deals on aging out tires when purchased by the thousands and the opportunity to reduce material costs is just too tempting for Mr. Buffet and others.

This seems like a very plausible answer as when our 177 was built, January 2011, supply chain issues or the like which is experienced today wasn't a factor or even spoken about as they are today.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by lostagain

I wonder if the delay between the build date of the trailers and the manufacture date of the tires is the result of supply chain delays or whether the trailer builders are stockpiling tires and not using them up fast enough.  My speculation is that it is a supply chain delay issue.  Perhaps it's time for the trailer builders to be a little more strict with the date of the manufacture of tires when they receive them.  On the other hand, there may be some very good deals on aging out tires when purchased by the thousands and the opportunity to reduce material costs is just too tempting for Mr. Buffet and others.

My understanding, at least from the small manufacturer that made our current trailer, is that the manufacturer purchases the axle, wheel/tires and in our case, even the frame as a unit from a third party supplier. In the case of our Escape, the frame, tires, wheels, and axles come from Dexter. I think the last thing a manufacturer wants is inventory like tires and wheels laying around consuming valuable production space. 
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2023 at 6:33am
It is likely that FR and the other large RV companies are able to require their chassis manufacturers to build to their specifications, including suspensions and tires.  They have the capacity to tell the chassis manufacturers that they want tires that are reasonably fresh instead of 2 or 3 years into their life span.  Where there are 2 or 3 year old tires being installed on new trailers, it is clear that somewhere in the supply chain there are some sort of delays occurring to the detriment of new trailer purchasers.

From my personal experience, when I've purchased new Carlisle tires for ourPod and our Sonoma, the new tires have never been more than 6 months old, per the sidewall dates.  If I purchased a "new" tire that was over a year old I think I'd either return it or demand a prorated discount from the price.   
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2023 at 10:57am
+1

After learning about tire date codes, I've made it an informal practice to check, and the tires have always been relatively "fresh" in the neighborhood of 3-6 months.

I would think that with the high demand for RVs in general plus the supply chain issues that it would be hard to find tires that are more than a few months old. That is not based on fact so much as noodling here in my chair.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
hank*pod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote hank*pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2023 at 4:15pm
I just bought some Goodyear Endurance tires from Discount Tire Direct and they're dated 3722 and 3822 so mid-September - about 6 months old.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345