R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > Mods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Tire replacement - Event Date: 18 Jan 2023

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote R Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Tire replacement
    Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 5:02pm
Looking to replace tires on our 2017 R Pod 179. Suggestions?
Winterpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Winterpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 6:50pm
Many good choices out there. Searching a new trailer I see a lot of manufacturers are going with Goodyear endurance tires. I have been running them on my P- Pod the last four years with no issues.
Mine are 225-75R-15 E rated 

Winter pod
2013 R-Pod 178
2007 Silverato 1500 LT.
Trek Stash 8 29er hard tail
Old Town Kayak
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 7:26pm
I tried to get Goodyear in late 2021, but there were none available, so I got Carlyles and have been happy with them.  Either is a pretty good tire.

Check out the archives.  There have been a lot of discussion about tires over the last several years.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Pod People View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2023 at 10:16am
We have used Goodyear Endurance on our 179 for the past 3-4 seasons.  Love them-they don't leak down, they are stiffer and bounce less, the ride seems stable.  I will buy them again when these age out
Travel often and safe
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2023 at 10:42am
Not sure what you had as the OEM tire. If you had the Westlake traction tires and are wanting to stay with the OEM size, then you will have a better selection by going to Light Truck (LT) tires. They are usually 10ply and up to the task. Check with a load range chart for the particular tire you choose to be sure. I went with Falken Wildpeak tires at 65psi and they worked out just fine. I did consult with a couple of tire shops that specialize in RVs as well as with Forest River.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2023 at 2:03pm
On our third set of tires on our  12 yr. old 177.  First time going to a "D" load tire and the ride is dramatically better than the "C" rated tires we used previous.  Went with Carlisle Radial Trail HD, IMHO equal in quality with the goodyears but for a lot less $$$.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2023 at 3:54pm
Carlisle are what I am running. They are not immune from blowouts though as I found out last year.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
R Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote R Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2023 at 8:01pm
Thanks everyone! Food for thought.
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2023 at 3:49am
I bought premounted 15 inch Loadstar LRD tires and wheels from Eastern Trailer. That gave me a nice upgrade from 14 to 15 inches, 1750 lb load rating  to 2150 (IIRC) for both the tires and wheels (yes  wheels have load ratings too, and FRs 14 inch ones were also only 1750 lbs), and more ground clearance. You do need the lift kit on your trailer to have enough fender clearance for the larger diameter tires. If you upgrade wheels be sure to stay with  the 5 on 4.5 bolt circle. 

And no mounting fees, I put them on myself for free. Then I sold my old 14 inch tires and wheels on Craigslist, came out less overall  that what just new mounted tires alone would have cost. Mounted used trailer tires are easy to sell for someone who needs a set to put on an old boat or utility trailer. Unmounted used tires are worthless because of the remounting fees.

BTW  I don't subscribe to the "China bomb" theory or feel the need to buy "name brand" tires. Others may differ, not starting a debate here  just my semi-educated opinion. By all means spend the money and get name brand tires if it makes you feel better. Just know there's more to selecting the proper tire for your application than just the brand. 

I think the China bomb reputation has resulted from FR and the other lower end trailer manufacturers' practice of using  the absolute minimum load rated tires (1750 lbs on the 179) they could get away with. Running marginal tires, especially at less than recommended tire pressures, is a recipe for blowouts regardless of the tire brand.  

So be an educated consumer and  get tires  rated around 25% higher than 1/2 your axle rating (your choice as to brand) and keep them  inflated at their rated pressure (cold). The approx 25% load safety factor  is what tire engineers seem to typically recommend as a good balance between load capacity and ride stiffness. Look at the actual manufacturers' load ratings in lbs not the c,d,or e letter ratings. The letters don't correspond to specific load ratings in pounds, the latter vary with manufacturer and tire size. 

There is no benefit in under inflating ST trailer tires, all that does is produce more sidewall flex which can overheat the thick sidewalls of ST (special trailer) tires. Some folks buy LT (light truck) tires rather than STs. You can do that of course (just be sure you get a similar load capacity safety factor), but the disadvantage vs ST tires is higher rolling resistance. STs are designed for the high pressures and stiff sidewalls, as well as with non aggressive tread patterns, so that they have minimal rolling reistance. LT tires have to compromise that for better traction and unloaded ride stiffness, not things that need to concern you on a travel trailer.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2023 at 6:27am
It isn't a question of "China bomb," but the quality of the components and manufacturing process.  The Carlisle 205R/15 D range tires are made in China.  I have only had one other brand of tires on either of our trailers:  Westlake.  They are of very poor quality.  I had problems inexplicable air leakage, rapid tread wear, and separation of the tire carcass from the tread rubber on a tire that had less than 3000 miles on it.  The rubber compounding is critical in tire quality.  Cheap rubber compounds do not last and are more frequently found on low end tires.  The tire construction is critical.  The bonding of the rubber, especially the tread rubber to the carcass is critical.  If it is not done correctly, you will get a dangerous tread separation.

Though there are certainly exceptions, generally buying a well established brand name improves your odds of getting a better quality product.  A knockoff fake Makita drill motor, though it looks almost identical to the real one, doesn't last as long.  I am a fan of Harbor Freight for many tools, but there is a discernible difference in quality especially in some of their electric tools as compared to DeWalt or Bosch.  My Tacklife laser measuring tool was 1/3rd the price of the Bosch I ended up replacing it with.  The Tacklife couldn't measure consistently, and was garbage.  Though there are bargains to be had, generally you pay for what you get.

The only problem I've had with our Carlisle tires is I picked up a small nail right on the edge of the tread at the sidewall and the hole was not repairable due to the location.  Thankfully, I discovered the problem while getting ready for a trip.  I ordered a replacement tire.  When I was getting ready to take it to a tire store for mounting, I started to mount the spare temporarily, but found the spare had a giant bubble in the side wall and tread.  I ended up buying two more Carlisles.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>