R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Recommendation for "portable" jack for tire change
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Recommendation for "portable" jack for tire change

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recommendation for "portable" jack for tire change
    Posted: 20 Aug 2023 at 8:56pm
Under the mounting flange next to the 14" tire.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Pod People View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2023 at 8:06am
This has been discussed many times in the past-both issues of where to jack and what jack to use.

I tried to use a bottle jack and found 2 major issues--there was not enough clearance (height) for the bottle jack and the bottle jack has too small of a footprint to be safe and solid. A 4"-6" round jack in soft ground/gravel with a round top is not a good way to jack up 2000 pounds even if there is enough height to make it work.

I ended up with a 2 ton floor jack from Harbor Freight.  It is larger, weighs more,  has a low profile and a larger footprint. As I recall, it cost about $75 3 years ago. that is the type of jack that I would recommend.

Where to jack is partially determined by which pod you have and the axle/mount configuration. for my 179, the manufacturer and my tire  guy agree that the mounting flange for the axle is the right place to jack.
Travel often and safe
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2023 at 8:29am
Originally posted by Pod People

I tried to use a bottle jack and found 2 major issues--there was not enough clearance (height) for the bottle jack and the bottle jack has too small of a footprint to be safe and solid. A 4"-6" round jack in soft ground/gravel with a round top is not a good way to jack up 2000 pounds even if there is enough height to make it work.

Aside from the clearance issue which is a limitation, I have to respectfully disagree with a floor jack being better. The intended environment of a floor jack is smooth solid surface, something that is not a given when towing. Wood blocks and plastic leveling pads can be used on a bottle jack to provide stability. I always carry a jackstand as well for safety and if I need to lift incrementally.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2023 at 9:03am
When we had the blowout on our 179, there would not have been enough height to get a bottle jack in. The trolley jack we had was able to get in there, barely. Even so, I had to skip my jacking block and just use the flange to get that side up enough to change the tire. This was along I70 heading into Utah. It blew out just after we passed an exit for an agricultural inspection. I could not back up and I did not want to drive on the rim and ruin it. I think that whatever will work for the situation is the answer. One size does not fit all.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2023 at 9:14am
I have to agree with Pod People on use of a floor jack.  My last blow out was a year ago while creeping down a dirt path I came too close to a tree that partially blown over and one of its stabilizer roots came too close to the tire (actually it was my fault, I got that close to that root), regardless, it punctured the sidewall and the tire went flat immediately.  Fortunately i had a shovel to gain enough clearance to place the floor jack on the loose soil.  Before digging out I had 3" of clearance between the mounting flange and the ground.  No way would I trust using a bottle jack under those conditions.  Certainly I had to grunt a bit to place the floor jack on the soil to get it in position to lift the trailer but it was definitely stable and the tire/wheel was removed in a safe manner. 
God's pod
'11 model 177
Pod People View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2023 at 9:29am
I respectfully disagree with your respectable disagreement.

the floor jack is approximately 10" wide x 22" long and is a much more stable footprint than a round 4"-6" bottle jack.The base of the floor jack can definitely be used on soft ground or gravel and still be solid because it spreads the weight around a much larger surface area.  the floor jack does NOT require a flat, smooth surface. The small wheels will probably sink into gravel/soft dirt leaving the large rectangular frame as the support. Actually, the bottle jack is more oriented to a smooth ,flat surface than the floor jack.

I know of several instances where friends or other trailer owners have tried to use bottle jacks and they have failed because of height or soft ground problems.  I tried the bottle jack myself and failed. Luckily, I was in an area patrolled by the road emergency crews and they were able to use their floor jack to help me out.  Immediately after that,  I bought the floor jack. Unfortunately, I have used the floor jack on too many occasions on very different roadsides and surfaces.

the floor jack is heavier, cost more and harder to store in the pod.  but, it is safer and has worked every time I needed it.

https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive/jacks-jack-stands/floor-jacks/15-ton-low-profile-aluminum-racing-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-64545.html

We all make our own decisions and have to live with them.
Travel often and safe
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2023 at 12:56pm
I think we are just going to have to agree to disagree on this one. Based on the tools I have readily available: tongue jack, stabilizer jacks, bottle jack, TV jack(usually a bottle jack as well), various pieces of wood and plastic pads and a jack stand, I can't see why I would lug a jack that is not even intended for that purpose along. 

I've been through many years of DoE and DoD field training and never once was a floor jack part of the equipment list. As one of my favorite instructors used to say,

"Safe" and "Easy" are two words that are rarely used together. There's a reason for that.

Cheers.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2023 at 2:47pm
Curious gpokluda, how can you 'safely' get a bottle jack in position to change a flat tire when you only have 3" of clearance to do so?  Not only that but the large 'footprint' of a floor jack of 10" x 22" is certainly going to afford a ton more stability than a 'wimpy' footprint of a 4" bottle jack.  And that is only looking at the ground or bottom of said jack.  On the top end the bottle jack (I am holding one right now, which is never used for safety reasons, measures a whopping 1.5" across, verses my 2 ton bottle jack which measures 3" x 3."  Again, the bottle jacks surface area on top of the piston is 1.76 sq." verses my floor jack at 9 sq." so here again the safety factor on the top surface alone of the floor jack is over 5 times the surface area of a bottle jack.  I think the safety factor alone is all for the floor jack, from the ground footprint to the top surface area.  The only negative would be the weight and size but when you look at safety, it becomes a non issue.
God's pod
'11 model 177
David and Danette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2023 at 6:44pm
 The powerbuilt all-in-one jack has a larger stable foot print but I agree it needs more height to operate but under our frame there is more than enough clearance. I placed the jack just behind where the spring attaches to the frame. I think most rpods have a torsion axle and I forget how that was when we had our rpod.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2023 at 5:50am
We carried a floor jack when we had ourPod 172.  A bottle jack like the one we use now wouldn't fit under the axle attachment point.  I used the floor jack a few times for maintenance on a not very smooth gravel surface and it worked but was a pain to move into position and hard to pump because of the position of the handle.  Thankfully, I never had a flat out on the road.  

Our current trailer has an I-beam frame with leaf springs so I have some flexibility with lift points.  I also carry a collection of pieces of 2x6 blocks that I use for leveling when parked under the wheel and for the stabilizer and tongue jacks.  I can use those blocks to put under my bottle jack for a larger flat surface area and for a base for setting up my jack stand.  When I jack up the trailer, I also lower the stabilizing jacks with blocks under them as necessary for an extra margin of stability.

One other solution would be to roll the flat tire up onto some leveling blocks to raise it high enough to get a short bottle jack under the axle/frame attachment point.  The blocks have to be set up so that they're wider than the rim, so the tire doesn't settle around the sides of the blocks, but with just a few blocks enough height can be gained.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>