R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnode Rod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anode Rod
    Posted: 11 May 2013 at 3:14pm
I did this at the recommendation of my parents who have been RV'ing most of their lives. No issues with water heaters for them and I drain the thing thoroughly when I return home. My trips are hardly longer than 3 days at a time anyway. 
Gary Piazza
www.garypiazza.com
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2013 at 6:30pm
TongueSome of the anode rod will dissolve in the water. However, the loss of anode metal is not usually symmetrical so rod material will may break off into the heater from road vibration, etc.
I have found that it is a good idea to flush out the water lines by removing the aerators from the faucet outlets, and flushing some water through the lines at the beginning and end of each season.
I also wash out the aerators, if I notice some whitish sediment in/on the aerators.
The amount of rod loss depends on the chemistry of the water used.  I have had rods last multiple years and then barely last one season.  A rod that is nearly dissolved away is demonstrating the protection it has given to your heater.  Replacing a $15 rod is certainly cheaper than replacing a water heater tank.
Over the last couple of seasons, I have been draining the heater tank, if I do not expect to use the Pod for an extended period of time.  The longer the time water sits in the tank, the more loss of rod material.  I make sure that I fill the tank before I leave for the next trip...I don't want the tank to burn out because it was empty when I turn on the gas or the 110 house current
TIDALWAVE
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2013 at 6:48pm
rog on all that
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12