R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBattery charge from TV

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery charge from TV
    Posted: 07 May 2013 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by hogone

Are you guys saying that with a 7 pin plug you do get a trickle charge or may be capable of modifying something to get it?  I don't think I do on my 10' F-150.  It would be nice if this is possible and an easy fix/solution.

As far as I know every Ford truck since the 90's, if equipped with the tow package has this capability. It should require the placement of a fuse in the main block, and a relay in the kick panel. Our last 3 ford SUV's came with a "kit" in the truck that included a pigtail for the brake controller, the fuse, and the relay, along with instructions.. In a little baggy, either in the glove box, or in the rear stowage area.

'99 Explorer Limited
'03 Excursion XLT
'04 Expedition EB

All you have to do is plug in the bargman, start the truck, put a DMM across the battery posts.. should see +13.5 volts..
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 3:18pm
As soon as you mentioned the bag in the glove box I went out to the truck; you are absolutely right!  Will this actually put a charge on the pod battery, or basically maintain the charge?    
bhamster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 3:33pm
It will charge it, but at idle the alternator doesn't put out much current. When you're actually driving it will charge more.
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 5:58pm

Are you guys saying that with a 7 pin plug you do get a trickle charge or may be capable of modifying something to get it?  I don't think I do on my 10' F-150.  It would be nice if this is possible and an easy fix/solution.

If you have the factory tow package on your  10 F150 you have the power wire connected, just like mine.  I do know people that wanted that connection lifted or switched so the trailer wouldn't pull from the truck battery when the truck is off, but from the factory it is connected to the 7 pin connector.

The bag (relay and fuse) is for adding an aftermarket brake controller.  It doesn't have anything to do with the hot line in the connector.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
bhamster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by Keith-N-Dar

I do know people that wanted that connection lifted or switched so the trailer wouldn't pull from the truck battery when the truck is off

This is a good point. I added a relay to mine so that the charge line is only connected when the engine is running. It was cheap and easy to add.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 7:33pm

If you have the factory tow package on your  10 F150 you have the power wire connected, just like mine.  I do know people that wanted that connection lifted or switched so the trailer wouldn't pull from the truck battery when the truck is off, but from the factory it is connected to the 7 pin connector.

The bag (relay and fuse) is for adding an aftermarket brake controller.  It doesn't have anything to do with the hot line in the connector.

Don't think so.. the fuse is to protect the charging circuit, and the relay is to tell the truck NOT to drain it's battery by sending 12v to the trailer when the engine is off. Been there, done that a whole bunch of times. Neighbor paid to have her brake controller installed, and that was all the truck did until I installed the relay and fuse. this was about two weeks ago on a '09 F250.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 9:25pm
A tip to help ensure you'll get a charge on the pod's battery going down the road - use the gas mode on the fridge instead of the 12 volt mode.  The fridge will pull over 10 amps through that charge/power pin on the Bargeman, causing a voltage drop and therefore less (or no) charge on the pod's battery, especially if it is already low. 
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 9:45pm
I like Techntrek use the gas mode on the fridge while enroute. I have heard people say, but if your in a wreck there might be a gas leak. Yeah with the tank on the front and gas lines running to the stove, furnace, fridge, water heater there might be a leak, but there is a check valve on the tank that will not allow the gas to blow out at a high rate. The fridge on our 172 gets good and cold on gas, and uses very little propane to do so.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 9:48pm
[ [/QUOTE]

Don't think so.. the fuse is to protect the charging circuit, and the relay is to tell the truck NOT to drain it's battery by sending 12v to the trailer when the engine is off. Been there, done that a whole bunch of times. Neighbor paid to have her brake controller installed, and that was all the truck did until I installed the relay and fuse. this was about two weeks ago on a '09 F250.
[/QUOTE]

I don't plan to argue about it, but the owners manual for my truck confirms what I said.  So do the instructions on the bag.  And from the start my 12V was hot to the trailer.  I still have the bag and. contents.  I had the the factory brake controller installed on mine.   Maybe 09 250s are different.

Nuff said on this.  Have a good evening.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 10:25pm

[

[/QUOTE]

I don't plan to argue about it, but the owners manual for my truck confirms what I said.  So do the instructions on the bag.  And from the start my 12V was hot to the trailer.  I still have the bag and. contents.  I had the the factory brake controller installed on mine.   Maybe 09 250s are different.

Nuff said on this.  Have a good evening.
[/QUOTE]
Not arguing.. just stating as did you, what I have seen and done.. It could be yours is different because of the factory controller...?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>