R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMounted a long sewer hose tube (and cleaned up)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mounted a long sewer hose tube (and cleaned up)
    Posted: 08 Jun 2013 at 10:58pm

I took the short sewer hose tube off soon after getting my pod 4 years ago.  Without the risers anything that was below the frame was a problem (I got a fold-up jack and took the original jack off, too).  Plus it wasn't long enough to hold anything.  Since then I've used a large plastic tool box to hold the sewer hose and accessories.  Not ideal since it was hard to get the hose in there and the box had to ride inside the pod.  

With a big trip coming up I had to finally get this annoyance off of my checklist.  I ordered a 60" sewer tube from DWI, which is long enough to fit between the frame rails near the 171's sewer outlet.  I like the ends of the tube better than the old tube, both ends have a little knob and a door which swings open where the original screws open and closed which wasn't always easy.  This new one holds everything including the threaded adapter so I'm happy.  And no more tool box...  http://www.dwincorp.com/products/82/SUPER-TUBE

Some bonus shots of cleaning my roof, below.  This started out with a visit to a local Girl Scout fund raiser car wash mid-day where the TV and everything but the pod roof got a decent cleaning (they got a good donation and I grabbed a sponge to help, too).  In past years I've pulled out my 6 foot ladder and did the job on my driveway.  This was always just this side of suicide.  Plus I never could get the roof that clean because I just couldn't reach everything or get much pressure on the bad spots with a long-handled brush.  This year I decided to pull it around to my back porch where I could stand on the railing and half-lay on the roof so I could attack the roof with vengence, elbow grease, and some Oxy-clean.  As you'll see, the roof was disgusting but it is finally clean!  I did one side, turned the whole rig around, then did the other.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
fallsrider View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2013 at 7:33am
Wow, that's a serious roof cleaning!

Is it not recommended to walk on the pod roof? I've read you can walk on the roofs of some TTs, but not others. Obviously with the pod, you could only walk in the center section, if at all.
coopercdrkey View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2013 at 8:37am
"Not at all" is my best guess.

Operating on the premise that "if it's not specifically permitted, it's likely not allowed", which sounds kind of
military, but which is probably the case.  If you read the spec's for the Surveyor Series, which is kind of the
next-step-up within the Forest River TT group, it mentions "full walk-on roof".  Nowhere in the R-Pod
literature is such a statement, to the best of my knowledge.

Tech-  Nice cleaning job!  Also, thanks for the sewer hose storage tube link.  I need to get on that mod.

Bob and Joyce
Jennifer and Baxter, the Campin' Cocker Spaniels
RP 177 "Key Pod"
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT / Z71
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2013 at 10:54am
  Holy crap!  What did you park under to get the roof that dirty!

TT
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2013 at 12:14pm

As my wife said "it is glowing!"  Since the pod is sitting in the shade and its been so cool I have the roof partially tarped to keep it clean for the next few weeks.  In the hour it sat in its parking spot it already had clumps of tree junk on it.  Censored

The pod roof is NOT rated to walk on, and there really isn't anywhere to walk anyway.  It feels a bit soft in spots, too.  The most I did was half-lay on the roof with most of my weight on the edge where there is support.

I should have added to my post above, you can order a custom size of 61" instead of the 60".  Same price and the mounting holes will still fit, just on the outer edges of the frame instead of the inside edges.

Oak trees and several others.  We are surrounded by trees which is great most of the time - until the sap and other stuff gets the cars and pod dirty.  Cry

kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2013 at 10:09am
Oxy-clean.  Wouldn't have thought of that one.

We have a bunch of oaks all around our Pod, so from late fall until early spring we get quite a bit of that same black filth on top of ours as well.

My least favorite Pod activity is the ladder twist and lean of death as I'm on the top step and stretching with a long car wash brush to scrub around the AC.  Just can't get the leverage to scrub it as good as I'd like!  Ouch
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2013 at 12:11pm
Exactly.  Then you start sliding down the curved edge and don't have anything to grab plus its all slick from water and soap.  Knowing what I know now, if my deck wasn't an option I would probably build some kind of collapsible 5 foot high platform.  Use my ladder to get on the platform, then wash the roof from the platform.
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2013 at 10:10am
I'd love to have a platform!!
Thinker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2013 at 10:43am
On the sewer tube... you said it mounts between the frame rails. Does that mean it screws to the floor? Or did you screw it to the rails with self tapping sheet metal screws?

I want one... 1

When are you coming to New Orleans?
Tow Vehicle: 2013 Pathfinder 4WD R-POD Model 171
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2013 at 10:16pm

I taped the tube in place, then marked the mounting holes, removed the tube and drilled the frame.  Then used self-taping screws.

We'll be in NO somewhere around July 10th-13th.  I don't have a copy of our schedule on this computer so I'll have to verify that later.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>