R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMounted a long sewer hose tube (and cleaned up)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mounted a long sewer hose tube (and cleaned up)
    Posted: 12 Jun 2013 at 10:32am
Techntrek, Do the screws and instructions come with the tube?

Also, I have a 90 degree fitting on my hose for easy insertion into dump station tank.  Do you have one on your hose? Does it fit / store in the tube? If not, what do you do/use?

Ps: I now keep my hose in tool box on front of Pod.
Bill & Bev
13 yr old dachshund 'Elsa'
2010 RP-176T (tent & slide-out)
2011 Toyota Tundra 2WD TV
Chuck View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2013 at 12:23pm
I'm going to do this but I have questions too. The Sanitube web site says that the R-Pod requires the 25.5 in tube but you went with the 60" tube. Because? I'm also going to move from the stock "slinky" to the RhinoFLEX sewer kit. I can't find info anywhere as to the stored length of the Rhino. Is that going to cause me to go with the longer tube? Thanks for your posts and all this help.
Z-pod
Chuck Janet & Bogie the dog
'12 RP 177
1972 Shasta 1400
2005 Ford F-150 5.3L V8
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2013 at 3:26pm
The 60 inch Sanitube contains the 15 foot RhinoFlex AND all the accessory fittings including the elbow. It even accept a clear 45 degree elbow, buts that's getting tight. The stock 60 inch tube can be mounted using #14 sheet metal screws, but positioning takes some care. A custom 61 or 62 inch tube would be easier, but you have to make it VERY clear to the manufacturer you don't want the standard tube. Returning a tube is a real pain. The old tube can be used for other accessories or things. I'm going to use it to carry a shorter hose for use with a "blue tank" when needed.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Chuck View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2013 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by CharlieM

<font face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size="2">T<font face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size="2">he 60 inch Sanitube contains the 15 foot RhinoFlex AND all the accessory fittings including the elbow. It even accept a clear 45 degree elbow, buts that's getting tight. The stock 60 inch tube can be mounted using #14 sheet metal screws, but positioning takes some care. A custom 61 or 62 inch tube would be easier, but you have to make it VERY clear to the manufacturer you don't want the standard tube. Returning a tube is a real pain. The old tube can be used for other accessories or things. I'm going to use it to carry a shorter hose for use with a "blue tank" when needed.

Charlie thanks much. So I'm just making sure that I understand before ordering. You paid $60 for the 60" tube right? $25 for the standard and an additional $35 for the 60".

Also, I see that you're TV is a Honda Pilot. What kind of gas mileage are you getting? I have trouble getting much better than 11MPG with my 2011 Pilot.
Z-pod
'12 RP 177
1972 Shasta 1400
2005 Ford F-150 5.3L V8
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2013 at 5:19pm
Chuck,
Don't remember exactly, but that sounds about right. The tube itself is fairly cheap, but shipping drives the cost way up. Most, if not all, of the extra $35 is for shipping. I thought that's crazy but I checked with UPS/FEDX and that's what it costs. The extra length tube is almost no extra cost, but shipping the extra length is $$$. They just cut the tube a bit longer and glue the end assemblies on.

Carefully measure the center-to-center distance between the frame rails. I measure close to 62". This will put the mounting holes in the centers of the rails. AND! Be sure to make it very clear on your order that you want 62" center-to-center mounting holes. I called the factory: they said no problem, same price. I wrote it on the email order too and referenced the guy by name. Guess what I got: 60". It works but it's harder and shipping the 60" tube back is a pain.

Gas mileage on the Pilot? Welcome to the RPOD towing club. Expect 9-12 mpg. Depends on speed and wind. The POD is like a parachute behind you despite the shape and "spoiler".

Happy podding,
Charlie
Northern Colorado
Chuck View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2013 at 6:06pm
Thanks for all of the help Charlie. I'm going to attempt to order the 62". I'll let you know how I do.
Z-pod
'12 RP 177
1972 Shasta 1400
2005 Ford F-150 5.3L V8
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2013 at 6:44pm
Chuck,

Please verify your measurements before you order. I measured my 2013 RP-172. I expect they're the same as yours but it's worth a check. Center-to-center of the rectangular frame channels. The channels are nominally 2" so you'll have about +/- an inch to play with.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2013 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by Bill-GA

Techntrek, Do the screws and instructions come with the tube?

Also, I have a 90 degree fitting on my hose for easy insertion into dump station tank.  Do you have one on your hose? Does it fit / store in the tube?

Neither, I had to scrounge the screws from my large "coffee can" collection.  No instructions, but none needed.  Just position the mounting holes where you want them, mark, and drill the holes in the frame.  Yes, my hose has the multi-threaded adapter which fits most campground sewer connections, the 90 degree elbow which fits into the mult-threaded adapter, and the standard camper connection.  I was worried the adapter wouldn't fit inside but it does.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2013 at 9:38pm

Originally posted by Chuck

I'm going to do this but I have questions too. The Sanitube web site says that the R-Pod requires the 25.5 in tube but you went with the 60" tube. Because? I'm also going to move from the stock "slinky" to the RhinoFLEX sewer kit. I can't find info anywhere as to the stored length of the Rhino. Is that going to cause me to go with the longer tube? Thanks for your posts and all this help.

25.5 inch is the length where the stock tube is mounted under the battery box.  60 inches is the length between the frame rails on the body of the pod.  My hose is way too long to fit in the stock tube but there is room to spare in the new tube.

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2013 at 9:40pm
I believe my rails center-to-center were closer to 61 inches.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>