R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGENERATOR

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: GENERATOR
    Posted: 23 Sep 2014 at 10:06am
what is "charge speed"?
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2014 at 10:19am
oops sorry about that, I put one extra charge in there, it should read "speed charge" in other words, quick charge, the opposite of slow or trickle charge. 
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2014 at 10:48am
so speed charge would include hooking up to your tv, correct?
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2014 at 11:10am
Yes, In my opinion, that would be considered "quick charging" 
WillThrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2014 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by hogone

thanks, I have (2) 12 volt batteries, so will hook up pos to one battery and neg to the other battery.  not sure if it will be necessary, but good to know if needed.

Just to be absolutely sure, with 12 volt batteries, you want to connect them in parallel. This means connecting the positive terminal of one battery to the positive terminal of the other battery. The same goes for the negative terminals.

If you connected the positive terminal of one battery to the negative terminal of the other, that would be a series connection and would create a 24 volt battery. That will create all kinds of problems and probably fry something (and not in a good way ).
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2014 at 1:06pm
Correct, but with parallel batteries you always want to hook up the load or the charging source via the + of one battery and the - of the other.  This allows for equal charge/discharge between the two batteries.  If you only hook up to one battery, the resistance of the wires that create the parallel connection ensure the other battery will be discharged less and then charged less.

This is the primary argument for using two 6 volt batteries in series, since it removes that problem from the equation.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2014 at 6:28am
last question.  lets just say the batteries are discharged over 50%; how long would you think charging from the tv would take?  hogone
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2014 at 6:41am
That can't be answered without knowing the capacity of your battery.
But- for a 105 amp hour battery, since most tow vehicles can't deliver over about 10 amps, then from 50% you are looking at about 6+ hours.
If it is the smaller 80 amp hour battery you are looking at about 5 hours.

I have two paralleled 105 amp hour batteries and my tow vehicle with large wiring I installed puts about 13 amps into the batteries at idle- so in my case 50% down would take a whopping 9+ hours!

Which Is why I don't charge that way unless I'm going to be driving a lot-   on generator with the built in convertor it is putting around 35 amps into the batteries.  The call it a 50 amp charger but I've never seen it actually put out that much.

Don't forget charging requires you to put back more than taken out due to losses in the process.
2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2014 at 6:53am
Originally posted by techntrek

there are silent catalytic propane heaters that don't use any electric, used often by boondockers. Olympian Wave is one.

One caveat of catalytic heaters, the typical unvented ones put a lot of moisture into the RV, something many already struggle with even with a vented heater.

I have a couple that are at least 30+ years old, one propane and one that even runs on Coleman Fuel...that thing was scary!  Had to light it outdoors as it put out foot high flames until it warmed up and started to glow.
2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
mtbmitch View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2014 at 11:58am
We only dry camp. 3 days on a fully charged group 31 battery will work fine using the heater, water heater
water pump and led lights just fine. Ya we use the heater in the summer time here in Idaho. Have only camped for 3 days at a time but suspect the battery would go 5 days. I will be hooking up a solar panel that has self adhesive tape and will go on top of the pod this winter.  Kind of like fuel in the tank, nice to keep the battery charged up as much as possible. This helps the life span also. Another year or 2 and the lithium batteries for RV's will be a decent price point. Considering the leading edge technology lithium batteries have a longer life span over a SLA battery, the cost is nearly the same per cycle now. Though the up front cost is
steep. 

enjoy the fresh air
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>