R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAxle alignment - what to do?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
kymooses View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Axle alignment - what to do?
    Posted: 12 Oct 2014 at 10:14am
Originally posted by Budward

Originally posted by kymooses

Forest River cheaps out and uses an undersized axle IMO.
Google "Forest River axle problems" sometime and see the hundreds of complaints about this.
I fixed mine- http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5018&KW=axle&PN=4&title=179-axle-issues

I just completed a 10,000 mile trip with no sign of axle bending which started showing up within 1000 miles on their original axle.

If you replace the original axle with the same thing, about $700 in parts it will happen again.  If you have an alignment shop bend it back it will happen again.
For about $1200 you can get a new appropriate axle and new higher rated tires and wheels that will stand up.

I plan on asking for the $1200 it cost me to do this right but expect that to be denied.
Sometime this winter I plan on reinstalling the original axle so a dealer can request a warranty replacement and we'll see where that goes.

What is your goal of putting the original axle back on?  Just to get a warrantied replacement of the same axle you already have replaced because you didn't like it?

Bit confused what you'd gain?  Wouldn't it just be the same axle that you took off?

Goal?  To get FR to admit they do not use a heavy enough axle.

It was not a case of "not liking" the axle- it is undersized for the application.

Once the dealer contacts them about warranty replacement as I said "we'll see where that goes".
If they agree to replace it I plan to ask for reimbursement instead-  will cost them the same either way.  If they refuse to compensate then yes, by all means they can send a new axle and pay labor to replace it.  I'll then test it to see if the same problem returns.

Will be interested to see what happens for you.
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2014 at 9:57am
Originally posted by kymooses

Google "Forest River axle problems" sometime and see the hundreds of complaints about this.
I fixed mine- http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5018&KW=axle&PN=4&title=179-axle-issues

I just completed a 10,000 mile trip with no sign of axle bending which started showing up within 1000 miles on their original axle.

If you replace the original axle with the same thing, about $700 in parts it will happen again.  If you have an alignment shop bend it back it will happen again.
For about $1200 you can get a new appropriate axle and new higher rated tires and wheels that will stand up.

I plan on asking for the $1200 it cost me to do this right but expect that to be denied.
Sometime this winter I plan on reinstalling the original axle so a dealer can request a warranty replacement and we'll see where that goes.

What is your goal of putting the original axle back on?  Just to get a warrantied replacement of the same axle you already have replaced because you didn't like it?

Bit confused what you'd gain?  Wouldn't it just be the same axle that you took off?

Goal?  To get FR to admit they do not use a heavy enough axle.

It was not a case of "not liking" the axle- it is undersized for the application.

Once the dealer contacts them about warranty replacement as I said "we'll see where that goes".
If they agree to replace it I plan to ask for reimbursement instead-  will cost them the same either way.  If they refuse to compensate then yes, by all means they can send a new axle and pay labor to replace it.  I'll then test it to see if the same problem returns.

2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2014 at 9:50am
Originally posted by Bill-GA

Can you provide the details of your $1200 solution... Who from ... What ... Approx cost?

Thanks, Bill

Uuuh...cost was $1200 as stated.  That was for new tires/wheels/axle.   Not labor as I did the labor.
2014 179
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2014 at 9:48am

Budward,  are you there?

I could really use some info on the new axle you got .... Thanks,  Bill

Dexter does not sell axles by part number-    you have to give them the specs to order one.
IOW they require certain measurements to make one- this is all detailed on their site.
If your axle currently is a Dexter you can contact them with the serial number and they can supply those specs to you.   Of course you need to order the higher capacity with your old measurements.

2014 179
Yak View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2014 at 10:25pm

I found on the Dexter.com site a section on axles called Torflex  rated at  4100-6000 lbs which look like good replacement axles.  Comes with hubs and brakes.  I would think it costs more $$$ for the higher rated axle, so now the Q is 4100, 5200 or 6000? Since I'd be bolting up to the FR frame (assuming I don't over load my RPod) any would work.  My document (sticker) says its a 4500 (?) lb trailer ... So 5200 seem's like a good choice. Old axle was rated at 3500 - how did FR get away with that?

1000 pound tongue weight???Wink
Bill-GA View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2014 at 10:22pm
Budward,  are you there?

I could really use some info on the new axle you got .... Thanks,  Bill
Bill & Bev
13 yr old dachshund 'Elsa'
2010 RP-176T (tent & slide-out)
2011 Toyota Tundra 2WD TV
Bill-GA View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2014 at 11:37pm
I found on the Dexter.com site a section on axles called Torflex  rated at  4100-6000 lbs which look like good replacement axles.  Comes with hubs and brakes.  I would think it costs more $$$ for the higher rated axle, so now the Q is 4100, 5200 or 6000? Since I'd be bolting up to the FR frame (assuming I don't over load my RPod) any would work.  My document (sticker) says its a 4500 (?) lb trailer ... So 5200 seem's like a good choice. Old axle was rated at 3500 - how did FR get away with that?
Bill & Bev
Bill-GA View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2014 at 4:37pm

Can you provide the details of your $1200 solution... Who from ... What ... Approx cost?

Thanks, Bill
Bill & Bev
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2014 at 11:18am
I wonder what potential there is of WDH's overloading TT axles. Especially if they are not adjusted correctly.   
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2014 at 11:13am

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>