R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2015 RP-178 Shelf Over Bed w/ Baskets Mod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2015 RP-178 Shelf Over Bed w/ Baskets Mod
    Posted: 05 Jan 2015 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by JStrube

So how do you get the blind cover thing off?  I looked at it & it seems it is held on with screws to the brackets, is this right?  Most house blinds are held on with clip things.  Thanks!

Blind cover thing? For clarity, if you are referring to the box shaped fabric covered window decoration on top, I refer to that as a "Valance" some folks call it a "Cornice Board." This item is kinda tricky to remove. The only thing holding the valance in place is a screw through the fabric directly to the sidewall.  Its attached by wood screws that have been driven directly through the fabric which then hides the heads of the screws. Often times the screw is placed within the 45ยบ fold of the fabric on top. There are other screws below that are driven into and between the folds of the fabric that just disappear. It's definitely not a remove and re-install friendly item by any means, but, it can be done.  
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
ScottLowe View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2015 at 5:53pm
How wide, front to back, are ur shelves??
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2015 at 7:01pm
I don't know and my POD is off-site at secure storage. I think there is a link on this thread that has a description, but I'm not sure if it includes measurements. I picked the ready made shelf from Lowe's because it's the perfect size, lightweight, and matches well with the interior of the POD. Several other POD owners, before me, have used the same shelf for the same mod. Good luck! 

EDIT:  Just found the link the LUV2Q posted on this same thread that will take you to the source. The shelf is 72" wide and 16" deep. 
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by podgirl

Thank you Podster. I got a new Dewalt drill and will be getting with the installation soon. Thanks so much for taking the time to measure.

Podgirl

??? Done? An Pics?
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
McPod178 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 4:05pm
Hi All,

I'm new to this group, new pod owner and loved this idea, but wasn't crazy about putting holes in my brand new 178.  So, I came up with a different approach to mounting a 72" shelf across a ~74 1/4" space.  I used 3M Extreme Mounting Tape - outdoor rated to 80lbs.

First I purchased a 1x2" and cut 3 pieces to the 16" width as the shelf I purchased at Lowes.  The way the math worked for me was I needed 74 1/4"  across the back of the pod and each 1x2 is actually 3/4" inch wide, so three of them = the 2 1/4" I needed + 72" of the shelf = 74 1/4".  Two on one side and one on the other.  Well my pod is just a smidgeon wider and I wanted to keep slight positive pressure on the mounting tape so everything was snug.  So, I cut a paint stirring stick and shimmed the gap.  I tested the fit by laying everything on top of the valences.  Satisfied with the fit, I stained the boards with some left-over stain that was close enough to the color of the shelf, didn't matter to me because I'm color blind Smile, but the wife said "close enough".

I screwed a 1x3 to each side with 3" L brackets - making sure to pre-drill in the shelf so I didn't split the wood.  Then I removed a board from one side, leaving the L bracket ready to remount to that board when I installed it.

I then measure the distance to the back of the pod, so that the baskets fit snug against the front lip of the shelf and stuck the boards (the undrilled one + the one i previously mounted to L bracket) against the wall right over the valences with the two sided mounting tape.  

Then I mounted the shelf, with the L bracket to one side, on the other I used 4 1 1/4" dry wall screws to screw the two 1x3 boards together.  Tested everything - put up the 4 perfect sized baskets we found at Target - Sweet!

-McPod178
-McPod
2016 178 HRE
tschallb View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 6:44pm
McPod, thanks for the info on your shelving mod. Having done the drill method in our old 177 I am much interested in NOT doing it again in our new 179. Any chance you could post larger photos?

Thanks,
Tim
McPod178 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2016 at 1:44pm
there's a 500K limit to the photos on the Forum and making them larger makes them blurry.  I have a junk mail account I can email them from - 0kwhateverman@gmail.com.  First letter is a zero.  If you send me an email I'll send full resolution pics OR I can txt.

-Scott
-McPod
2016 178 HRE
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2016 at 8:37pm
Tape doesn't hold up very well here in South Texas, so we drill holes. Big smile
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
Q7-retired View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2016 at 9:24am
Here's a link to a previous thread on this topic.  I kept the shelf well away from the curved wall and used plastic snap-top containers that were much cheaper than wicker baskets.

http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5980

Best regards, Jim
2015-RP178
TV 2015 Audi Q7 TDI and 2017 Ford F150
At home in "Our Pod"
McPod178 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 7:52pm
I've used 3M Extreme Mounting Tape in SE Texas (Houston) to mount outdoor lights and worked well there...must be too dry & cool in San Antonio. Wink

I live in Cali now, and just got back from 1st trip with new shelf to Jalama Beach and it worked great, temps 50-75F.  In two weeks I'll be taking the pod for a week of skiing in Mammoth and storing it there for subsequent spring skiing.  We'll see how the tape handles sub-freezing temps, when I store it.
-McPod
2016 178 HRE
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>