FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedI'm not an Electrician..but...pros and cons

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: I'm not an Electrician..but...pros and cons
    Posted: 07 Dec 2014 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by techntrek

If you still want the 30 amp outlet, inside the garage by the panel is the easiest and cheapest since it is close and you don't need a weather-proof box.  A standard single-gang box and $10 30 amp outlet, a few feet of 10 amp wire and you are set.  Yes a double 30-amp breaker will work there, just be sure you are only tapping ONE of those legs for the pod!  I did this same thing at my house.

I'm not sure I can get a true 30 amp service at the garage panel, however, you bring up a good point...I probably don't need it.

It appears the choice is a) replace an existing outside breaker with a double thin 30 amp breaker and tap one side, install and wire an outdoor box, or b) install a standard 15 or 20 amp breaker in one of the available spots and wire the outlet. 

I think the true 30 amp service is overkill so I'm leaning towards the garage (sub panel) tap. 

Thanks for taking the time to help me understand this panel stuff. 

Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
Buxmont View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2014 at 10:42pm
That panel will fit ITE, Siemens, or Murry compatible breakers. It looks like you still have open spaces available, just remember you only need a 30 amp SINGLE pole breaker, and since that second picture is a sub panel, make sure you keep the ground and the neutral on their appropriate bus.

I personally don't think 30 amp is overkill. Especially when trying to run the AC through a small gauge extension cord, I've seen it happen to many times where they melt from the inside out. There's a reason Forest River supplies you with a number 10awg umbilical cord!
2015 178 Rpod
2003 Chevy Trailblazer
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2014 at 4:58am
Originally posted by Buxmont

I personally don't think 30 amp is overkill. Especially when trying to run the AC through a small gauge extension cord, I've seen it happen to many times where they melt from the inside out. There's a reason Forest River supplies you with a number 10awg umbilical cord!

So pulling 30 amps from the sub-panel is no-problem as along as I have the proper breaker, wire, and receptacle to support it? 

What issues, if any, are created by pulling the full load at the sub-panel? It's counter-intuitive for me to place a 30 amp breaker in a panel filled with 15 amp (there is 1 20 amp) breakers. My ignorance suggests I should not exceed whats already there.

I appreciate your response, thanks!
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
Buxmont View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2014 at 6:45am
You actually base breaker size in a panel on whats available from your feeder breaker. Its a mathematical equation based on the load calculations that are being used by each circuits. So just because you have all 15 amp breakers doesn't mean you can't install a 30 amp.  All of those 15 amp beakers might be feeding outlets that you have nothing plugged into so you have no load on those circuits, or you might have 1500 watt space heaters plugged into all of them and have no available amps (being facetious) .  I'll be honest, whats has me concerned (especially the last question you asked and your own admittance of ignorance) is the knowledge base your working from.  Please be careful and make sure you keep all of your polarities correct if you attempt this installation.
2015 178 Rpod
2003 Chevy Trailblazer
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2014 at 7:16am
Originally posted by Buxmont

...  I'll be honest, whats has me concerned (especially the last question you asked and your own admittance of ignorance) is the knowledge base your working from.  Please be careful and make sure you keep all of your polarities correct if you attempt this installation.

No worries, as the evidence shows here, I will certainly conduct the due diligence required to prevent  a catastrophe. I have never done, thought off, or considered work at the panel. I will certainly consult with an electrician friend before final execution. 

Thanks again!
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2014 at 9:34am
We're glad  you recognize the danger and are proceeding with caution. From your posts and pictures you have a 70 Amp 240 volt feed to the sub panel through that 70A breaker outside. The easiest would be an added 30A single breaker in the garage. If your run is 30-50 feet start with a piece of 2 conductor 10AWG plus ground (3 total). Use 10-2W/G type NM if it will be exposed to sunlight or buried. In the garage box note that all the white wires go to one bus: connect the new white there. All the bare ground wires go to another bus: connect the new bare wire there. The new black wire goes to the new breaker.

For the 30 Amp RV connector refer to this article: http://www.myrv.us/electric/. Follow the guidance for 30 Amp RV service and use an approved outdoor box. With a little help from your friend you'll be fine. If you don't already have one get an inexpensive 3 light outlet tester and test the final installation. You should have one of these testers anyway for campgrounds.

Good luck.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2014 at 9:47am
Originally posted by CharlieM

From your posts and pictures you have a 70 Amp 240 volt feed to the sub panel through that 70A breaker outside. The easiest would be an added 30A single breaker in the garage. For the 30 Amp RV connector refer to this article: http://www.myrv.us/electric/. Good luck.

Yes Sir, I think we are getting right down to it right here...thanks Charlie, I really appreciate your feedback. 
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2014 at 10:22am
I think an outdoor rated box is overkill in a protected garage.  15 & 20 amp outlets aren't required to be in a weatherproof enclosure in a garage, only that they are GFCI protected (not required for a 30 amp outlet).  Just make sure it is mounted at least as high off the floor as the existing outlets to meet local code.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2014 at 10:35am
Originally posted by techntrek

I think an outdoor rated box is overkill in a protected garage.  15 & 20 amp outlets aren't required to be in a weatherproof enclosure in a garage, only that they are GFCI protected (not required for a 30 amp outlet).  Just make sure it is mounted at least as high off the floor as the existing outlets to meet local code.

Yes Sir, I think Charlie was covering all the bases and working from the premise that I may run X number of feet from the panel to an outside location. 

So, the right breaker at the panel with some 10/2 plus a ground wire, a box and a 30 amp RV receptacle in the wall just a few feet from the panel should cover it. 

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate it. 
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2014 at 7:16am
Found a pretty good video on how to install an RV receptacle at home.

Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>