R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWinterizing the R-Pod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winterizing the R-Pod
    Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 4:08pm
This is my first year owning an R-Pod I will appreciate any help in how to Winterize the R-Pod
kp57george
Grandpa Hiker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 5:13pm
Here is a link to a number of documents, etc. that techntrek has graciously accumulated in one place. This list has been a huge help to me. 

You will see winterization and de-winterizaton information. 

ps. Many thanks to techntrek for everything you do!!
Rob & Becky
2014 Ford Explorer 3.5 SOHC V6
2015 R-179 Pod aka Piddle Pod

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain!!"
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 5:33pm
Thanks!  Just happy to help.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
kp57george View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2015 at 1:03pm
I decided to do the compressed AIR winterization with RV ant freeze in appropriate places. I found the anode really eaten away . Should I buy Magnesium or aluminum anodes through Amazon? Really appreciate the forum and your help. George
kp57george
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2015 at 7:55pm
Magnesium is the usual choice, unless you have problems with odors with your local water supply, then use aluminum.
Don Halas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2015 at 7:38am
i winterized my 178 a couple of weeks ago.  I used compressed air and didn't put anti-freeze in the lines only the toilet and drains.  I only had one low drain.  Is that right on the 178, one low drain?

Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Online Status: Online
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2015 at 10:17am
Originally posted by Don Halas

i winterized my 178 a couple of weeks ago.  I used compressed air and didn't put anti-freeze in the lines only the toilet and drains.  I only had one low drain.  Is that right on the 178, one low drain?

No.  Where did you find the drain?  Usually, if you only see one, you're seeing the drain to the fresh water tank, which isn't actually a low-point drain.

There is a low-point drain for the hot water line and for the cold water line.  The drains are usually right behind the axle on the road-side of the pod.  They may be nearly covered in foam, but they shouldn't be too hard to find.  They need to have the caps removed and the faucets in the kitchen, and bath need to be opened, and you should go through the motion of flushing the toilet, so that the water in that line can get sucked out of the low-point drain.  All of these are likely to still have water in them unless you did a very good job of blowing out the lines.

You need to remember to re-cap the low-point drains before you put antifreeze in the system, else you'll end up with antifreeze all over the ground.

In my opinion blowing out the lines is of dubious value.  There really isn't a good substitute for antifreeze because air isn't going to remove all of the water, and where the water is left are the places that are most vulnerable to freezing in breaking.  (Bends in the pipes, near the valves, and in the water pump.)  Maybe depending on the climate where your pod spends the winter, you could get away with just blowing out the lines, but, the low-point drains are so easy to deal with, and antifreeze isn't that big a trick either, especially if you only do it once a season.  I winterize several times a season because I camp about as much in the winter as I do in warm weather.  I don't always de-winterize, if for example, we're going to the mountains for 3 or 4 days and we expect the temps to be below freezing most or all of the time.  Then we don't use the plumbing!

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
kp57george View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2015 at 11:01am
Our 177 looks like what the plumbing of the 178 should be. I modified the info I got from the Forum and followed the following procedures. I appreciate the advice of FT Cruiser but I did it all by air except anti-freeze in drains. Let's collaborate in the spring when we de-winterize. George

RPod Winterization Modified Forum using compressed air; Anti-freeze only in drains 

1). Open both low-point drains underneath the camper. These hang down along the left edge under the floor behind the wheel. You will need two crescent wrenches, one to hold the upper "nut", one to twist off the lower nut (you can do the lower plug by hand.). 

2) Open the hot and cold valves on the kitchen sink, and then open the outside panel for the hot water heater; remove the anode rod plug on the hot water heater. Water will gush out - but it will not be under pressure. Inspect and replace the anode if necessary (about every two years; in 2015 it was not necessary but I bought a spare). The water heater must be stored dry, do not try to fill it with antifreeze. Wait for the water to stop running out of the drains and plug hole. Using a garden hose, flush any debris from inside the water heater tank. You can pull open the pressure relief valve at the top of the water heater to speed up the draining process. Insert the anode rod, using a layer of Teflon tape on the threads. 

3) I DID NOT DO THIS STEP AS I THINK OUR UNIT IS DIFFERENT. Turn all 3 bypass valves on the hot water heater. The valves are inside the trailer on the back of the water heater - look on the outside of the camper to see where the water heater is located. The valves on the cold and hot water lines will now be perpendicular to the water lines (closed), and the valve between the hot and cold lines will now be parallel (open). 

4) Attach a "blow-out plug" to the city water connection; be sure to use Teflon tape so it is a tight seal. MARK HAS ONE WITH HIS AIR COMPRESSOR. Apply LOW pressure air (ABOUT 25 psi) until the low-point drains stop sputtering. Do the same for the toilet and shower. Close the low-point drains finger-tight. 
5) Open each valve inside the camper, one at a time, until it sputters and then close it; open the low-point drains again and then close when drained. Remove the blow-out plug.  If your camper has the black tank rinse connection, apply air to this connection for several seconds using the blow-out plug I DID NOT DO THIS BUT I DID RUN FRESH WATER THROUGH IT. 

6) Inside the trailer, remove the access panel for the water pump (on the 177 it’s BELOW THE SINK MUST REMOVE WOOD PANEL near the water heater). On the intake line for the water pump, you'll notice a valve and about 2 1/2' of tubing that's loose on one end. I DID NOT USE THIS HOSE AS IT IS TO DRAW IN ANTI FREEZE

7) Outside and underneath the trailer, open your freshwater tank drain valve and allow it to empty. 

8).Pour some RV antifreeze into the shower and sink drains to fill the water traps

9). Open the black water and gray water dump valves make sure the black and gray waste water tanks are empty. The last dumps of the season fill both tanks full of water before dumping. Repeat at least once
10) Set the fridge's door latch so it stays open - look at the assembly on the wall of the fridge, you can slide it out some so when the door is latched it stays open enough to prevent mold from growing.
11) Remove the 9 volt batteries from the smoke and CO detectors, and make sure the lead-acid battery is disconnected.

November 19, 2015

kp57george
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2015 at 11:43am
Compressor and Pink Stuff videos here.

I'm the type who it helps to "see" things as well as have a checklist when I learn a new thing.

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2015 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by kp57george

3) I DID NOT DO THIS STEP AS I THINK OUR UNIT IS DIFFERENT. Turn all 3 bypass valves on the hot water heater.

You definitely have the bypass valves.  If you ever do use antifreeze - and I recommend it, you are in Ohio - you must change their positions.

Using just air you won't get the water out of the valve seats and low points in the system.  You might get lucky one year, but eventually you'll crack something and realize you need the antifreeze.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>