R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDiary of a Madmodder

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Diary of a Madmodder
    Posted: 26 Mar 2016 at 9:16pm
I am going to be doing quite a few mods on my new 171 this summer. I like to take photos to document my projects, because it is in my nature as an engineer. So I though I would start a thread. So here we go...
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2016 at 9:28pm
Sounds like it will be an adventure!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Retroactive View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2016 at 9:33pm
First Mod - Most Important Mod (aka make the wife happy): Letter the name on the pod.

Tools: Straight Edge Level, Measuring Tape, Pencil
Materials: Boat quality stick on letters.
Skill: Novice
Time: 1 hour

1) Get some boat ID letters. "Stiffie" brand seems to have an endless variety of fonts and colors.
2) Pick the height you want. Too high, and the roof might slope making the text hard to read. Too low and it might get blocked if you have the bike rack on etc. Make a small mark with pencil.
3) Find the center of the pod with a measuring tape. Mark with pencil.
4) If pod is already level, you can use a level to make a faint line with the pencil. If not you can measure up from the bottom of the pod to make a parallel line.
5) Make sure area is clean.
6) Cut out the letters you need first, and lay them on a table. So you can get a rough idea of spacing, and which letter you want to be in the center - so you can place that one first and work out from there to get an even look.
7) Apply the labels carefully as to not overstretch them, and not to create air bubbles.
8) Carefully "burnish" the labels to set them, applying moderate force while smoothing them with your fingers.
9) Wife says thumbs up!

Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2016 at 9:37pm
LOL a happy wife is a must!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2016 at 9:55pm
It's always better to start ANY adventure that way. Cool

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2016 at 9:55am
Privacy Curtain Mod

Tools: Measuring Tape, Pencil, Scissors.
Materials: Curtain Panel, Tension Rod, Command Hook, Command Strips, Velcro “One Wrap”.
Skill: Novice
Time: 1-2 hours

1) Pick a height for the rod. I recommend at least 3” higher than the tallest person, YMMV. Mark the height on both sides of the hallway, making sure to mark the corners of the wall - as this is the strongest point, see Fig1.
2) Cut command strips to approx size of the rod end caps. Place on wall at height marks, making sure to only place them on the corner…see Fig1 again!
3) Expand tension rod to width of hallway at height marked in step 1, and make a pencil mark at the rod joint. Now make another mark by extendeding the rod ½” longer, align and hold the joint in place and tighten screw. See Fig2.
4) Peel off paper off the mounted command strips.
5) Slide Curtain onto rod.
6) Compress rod and carefully install it so the ends contact the command strips. Note: this will take good hand and upper body strength, to get it placed correct the first time.
7) Pick a spot for the command hook.  I put it fairly high so I don’t catch it with my shoulder, but I think this would definitely come down to personal choice. See Fig3.
8) Cut Velcro “one wrap” strips to length, to secure curtain as desired. An important thing to keep in mind, when deciding on the location of the wraps, is not to block the thermostat with the curtain - otherwise it will not sense the actual cabin temp. Three strips seemed to be a good compromise, and allows it to be pulled away from the thermostat. see Fig4.
9) Yay!… see Fig 5.
L

Q7-retired View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2016 at 6:55pm
Boa viagem!
Best regards, Jim
2015-RP178
TV 2015 Audi Q7 TDI and 2017 Ford F150
At home in "Our Pod"

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2016 at 7:52pm
Obrigado! Hopefully we can get some grilled fresh sardinhas at one the festas when we're down the coast, it's all about the timing!
Patriot Dave View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by Retroactive

First Mod - Most Important Mod (aka make the wife happy): Letter the name on the pod.
Tools: Straight Edge Level, Measuring Tape, Pencil
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">Materials: Boat quality stick on letters.</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">Skill: Novice</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">Time: 1 hour</span>
1) Get some boat ID letters. "Stiffie" brand seems to have an endless variety of fonts and colors.
2) Pick the height you want. Too high, and the roof might slope making the text hard to read. Too low and it might get blocked if you have the bike rack on etc. Make a small mark with pencil.
3) Find the center of the pod with a measuring tape. Mark with pencil.
4) If pod is already level, you can use a level to make a faint line with the pencil. If not you can measure up from the bottom of the pod to make a parallel line.
5) Make sure area is clean.
6) Cut out the letters you need first, and lay them on a table. So you can get a rough idea of spacing, and which letter you want to be in the center - so you can place that one first and work out from there to get an even look.
7) Apply the labels carefully as to not overstretch them, and not to create air bubbles.
8) Carefully "burnish" the labels to set them, applying moderate force while smoothing them with your fingers.
9) Wife says thumbs up!

I am a newbie and just made a down payment on a 179 tonight. Thanks for the info regarding placing the name on the rear. I will be using your directions.

Thank You
Dave & Joyce
Never Forget, In God We Trust; This Our National Motto.
Member; Patriot Guard Riders, Michigan Chapter
Retired; So Every Day is Saturday.... Except Sunday

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 10:03pm
No problem. I am happy to document all this to share, one of the great things about the Rpod is that it lends itself to so many mod possibilites. I don't know how long the stickers will last, but they are used for small freshwater boat reg ID so they have to be relativley durable. The hardest part for me is getting it centered, it still came out about 1" left of center. Tomorrows mod is upgrading the inside speakers to some sweet JBL 6" units!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>