R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDiary of a Madmodder

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Diary of a Madmodder
    Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 10:01am
Originally posted by techntrek

It isn't about stealing the pin, it is about stealing the expensive WDH hitch the pin is in....

I see, that is where the big dollar risk:reward item is!  Does the Sway/WDH help reduce the "clacking" between the the ball and receiver, when going over bumps etc?
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 12:04pm
The Sway/WDH doesn't. The Stowaway hitch tightener does help eliminate some of that type noise as it locks the shank into the hitch receiver very tightly. I don't think the "clacking" is the ball and receiver as much as it is the shank and the receiver. The WDH certainly would, because of the tension the bars exert, keep the ball and hitch tight. The tongue weight also comes into play here. That is why the recommendation I have read is that tongue weight should be 10% of the trailer weight. If the trailer weighs 3500 lbs, then tongue weight should be 350 lbs.

I have not been anywhere near a scale to weigh my setup. However, I am pretty sure I have at least 10% of the weight on the tongue. The 179 with full fresh water and empty gray and black water pretty much makes that a given.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Retroactive View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 12:55pm
Mystery Mod: What primer is this? Clap

So I am painting the kitchenette wall for the wife. Right now I am applying several coats of special primer. This primer will create "functionality" after the real paint is on. What do you think the primer is? The winner gets the awful stock 6" speakers I swapped out the other day...LOL

Patriot Dave View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by Retroactive

Mystery Mod: What primer is this? Clap
So I am painting the kitchenette wall for the wife. Right now I am applying several coats of special primer. This primer will create "functionality" after the real paint is on. What do you think the primer is? The winner gets the awful stock 6" speakers I swapped out the other day...LOL

How about barbecue grill black?
Dave & Joyce
Never Forget, In God We Trust; This Our National Motto.
Member; Patriot Guard Riders, Michigan Chapter
Retired; So Every Day is Saturday.... Except Sunday

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 9:47pm
That's a good guess Dave. It does have metallic material in it, and could reflect a little nice even heat, but it's not that special black BBQ finish. I was going to wait until I had the color top coats on, but I had to put six coats of that primer on (manufacturer said three coats of the primer, I had to buy a second can, LIES!). The first top coat went on today, but it's all streaky because of the black showing through. Hopefully finish it tomorrow, I didn't want to wait 4 hours for it to cure enough for a second coat. Good thing the heater kicks ass in the little 171, it's gets up to ideal 77F curing temp within minutes - and today we are having a freak 22F weather...a mere 30F below normal. The key clue to this real function is the ferrous material infused paint.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016 at 9:39am
Ferrous material sounds like the black base coat I used in a project for kitchen counters. The project used Giani Countertop Paint, White Diamond.

http://www.amazon.com/Giani-Countertop-Paint-White-Diamond/dp/B00BMU9QMK?ie=UTF8&keywords=kitchen%20counter%20granite%20paint&qid=1459863417&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

I would not have thought about using it for a backsplash, but I don't see why it would not work.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016 at 10:07am
That's another really good guess. That part of the kitchenette would look great with something like that. But we are putting regular interior semigloss paint over the primer. Maybe I will have final pics tonight, assuming the propane doesn't run out; we are having a freak cold snap, and I have had to keep the pod at 55F for the last 3 days 24/7 so the primer and paint cures.  I have to say the little 171 really holds in the heat pretty well this time of year, it was 20F and I had a window on both ends open a crack for ventilation, and with the heat set at 70F the furnace only kicked on three times for very short periods over the 90 minutes or so I was in there.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016 at 11:37am
Since you are talking about curing, my second guess would be some sort of epoxy coating.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016 at 1:55pm
Again a very good guess. I probably shouldn't have used the word "cure" about the topcoat which is regular paint, only the primer needs to cure. In this case, my primer being ferrous is the key. This primer was "one part" type stuff, but even with the vent fan blowing and the door cracked, whatever volatile they used to keep it liquid made me incredibly lightheaded. The primer allows the top coat to do something that would appear "magic" to some remote Amazon forest tribesman, which would either get me elected chief...or possibly eaten to steal my power.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016 at 2:07pm
I have never been happy with the magnetic or chalk board paints. And really not happy with the ones that are supposed to do both.. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>