R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDiary of a Madmodder

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Diary of a Madmodder
    Posted: 30 May 2016 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by larbear

Wil...You are really inspiring!
We ended up getting a 2010 171 Escape Pod in excellent shape...getting "necessary stuff"...trying to spray wax between rainstorms...going to do the water purifying when I can (even tho dealer said it was all set)  charging the new battery up (the case had a good 3-4 inches of rain in bottom- should I drill some holes to drain?  Brought home last week and found I need to get risers so just got them from forest river for $150 plus tax and shipping.  Now waiting to hear from my local car mechanic to see if he'll put them on.  The directions were horrible but I found a great step by step on this site!  I wish I could do it myself but no level yard or driveway at home.
We're babysitting grandson til schools out then looking forward to a maiden voyage.
Don't know how to tag yet
Lar & Nan
2010 RP-171 "Escape Pod"
2012 Ram 1500 Quad 5.7L  

Congratulations! 

I haven't had any water in my battery case yet, maybe somebody else here can comment on that. One thing I can tell you: make sure your hitch mechanism is properly adjusted! You'll see my other thread about that fiasco!

Best of luck with the 171. Once you get used to the small hallway, then it doesn't really feel as cramped as one might think. That being said, I am definitely going to try to reclaim and/or re-purpose areas to maximize storage. I think you will like the simplicity, it is a good way to start. Bon Voyage!  
larbear View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2016 at 2:45pm
Thanks...for another "heads up" tip....we're loving our pod even tho it has yet to leave home!
I ended up drilling 4 corner bottom 1/4" holes in bottom of case to avoid the floods.

StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2016 at 2:59pm
I ended up drilling drain holes in my battery boxes as well after seeing them accumulate water. The lids are not sealed, so any water thrown up by the TV tires can get into the areas of the lid through which the wires are fed. If these batteries were down in the bilge of a boat, then the object would be to keep bilge water out, but here, there needs to be a way to drain water that gets in through the lid.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Retroactive View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2016 at 3:00pm
Good to know. I have not towed in the rain yet.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2016 at 8:37pm
Yup, must drill those holes.  Water *will* get into the box.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Retroactive View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 11:36pm
My next mod is turning the dinette into a permanent Daybed type situation. When inside the camper we prefer to lounge in the area in general, it is central to the TV and everything else. Plus we never use the dinette in the 171, it borders on impractical. The seat cushions as a mattress are simply unacceptable, so an upgrade was necessary. The other upgrade in this mod is turning the space under the table into open storage, now the both of us can put our luggage under there. We got the Twin size mattress in a box from wallyworld, it is almost perfect because it is only 2" less in width than the benches (FR says it is 42" but it is actually 41"), and the new Twin mattress is 39". We put a Full size foam topper on, and stuffed the extra width into the 2" space between the mattress and back wall (fills the gap perfectly). The nice thing about the mattress is that it folds very easily, allowing access to the storage spaces under the benches. The mod is very basic, and you can see all of it in the first pic.

1) Remove leg mechanism from table top, by removing the wood screws.
2) Add a few long screws to the two boards that support the table, by screwing them into the stud inside the bench.
3) Use at least one bracket on each side, to keep the table top from sliding back and forth.
4) Add mattress and bedding of choice.
5) "The Lava Lounge" is fully operational!

StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 9:24am
Looks nice and appears to be quite practical.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567