R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

ouR escaPOD mods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3940414243 58>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
DavMar View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote DavMar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ouR escaPOD mods
    Posted: 02 May 2018 at 5:03pm
Stephen,
Please post a review on this WD anti-sway hitch after you used it for a couple weeks on your trip. Looks interesting.
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 4:46pm
The newest addition to our towing equipment is a Hensley Cub. This hitch normally sells for over $2500, but Hensley is having a special, offering a significant discount as they are introducing the Swift Arrow and Swift Cub models. These new models use chains and a snap-up bracket to set the weight distribution instead of the jacks to do the job.

I originally ordered the Swift Cub. I installed it and found that there were things about it that made it less than desirable for us. In addition to the chains and snap-up bracket and lever, it has two support rods that are used to hold the spring bars while the chains are disconnected, stabilizing the hitch so it can be set for easier hitching and unhitching. These are less expensive to manufacture but for someone with arthritis, dealing with the pins, bars, and chains is more of a problem. I ended up exchanging the Swift Lift Kit for the standard jacks. They are a lot simpler once set up as one only has to deal with the hex nut on each jack to adjust the spring bars.

I did a short test drive with the chains/snap-up brackets, and then another with the jacks. There is no noticeable difference in performance. Both are a big improvement over the Equal-i-zer. There is no movement of the trailer and the hitch is virtually silent. I could not hear any hitch noise--no bumping, groaning, squeaking or popping. Thumbs Up The real test will be when we take off next month on our cross-country trip.

Is it worth it? If it makes my wife and me feel more secure while towing, it is. I also expect that because of the way it works, it will be better at keeping us stable in conditions which might be too much for a friction-based sway control system.

I returned the cover. It did not fit to my satisfaction. I will make a cover. I have some ideas about how to do it. Since the hitch stays attached to the trailer except for the hitch bar, I locking it two ways. First is the hitch coupler lock. The second is to bring the chains up through the Over Center Latch (OCL) bars and locking them together with a heavy-duty padlock. While these are not foolproof, when coupled with the fact that not too many people have Hensley hitches, it is likely to baffle the opportunistic thieves.

A couple of pictures and I have to run. We have to leave shortly.

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 8:12am
I wish I had found the one you got, geewizard, from Amazon.  It's a better deal than the one from HD.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
geewizard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote geewizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 7:25am
Originally posted by lostagain

I installed an electric igniter similarly to what StephenH did, but with a few differences.  I got nervous about putting holes in the burners to attach the electrodes, in case I had to abort the project.  So, I made a little bracket to hold them and screwed it onto the burner support post that's just a thin piece of sheet metal.  I also had problems getting the electrodes to fit into the space between the burner and stove top.  For the longer electrode I shortened it and had to bend it to get it close enough to spark near the burner holes.  For the shorter electrode, I had to slide the electrode up higher in its bracket so it would get close enough for a spark.  They're pressed in pretty tightly, so it was a bit of a hassle to get it to move but I finally got a good alignment.  I ran the wires out of the hole where the gas pipe enters and had plenty of wire to mount the spark generator on the face of the cabinet below the stove, similarly to what StephenH showed in his foto.

The fit between the stove top and the electrode is really tight and the hold down screws for the stove top are a little bit at an angle, but it lights quite nicely.  I suspect I'll be replacing the spark generator button from time to time as they're not very sturdy.  

I just finished my install just as Fred did above but used this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007VAXQF8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Otherwise, I followed StephanH's method.  Works great.

2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2017 R-Pod 177 (Blue) HRE SOLD
2004 Outfitter Apex 8 camper
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 10:14pm
Thanks, you too.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 9:44pm
Sounds good. Have a safe and fun trip. Thumbs Up
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 8:11pm
We'll watch out for you.  We'll be with two other couples, one in a Sunray 149 and one in a motorhome.  And remember, our Pod is the one with no decals, like a little white cloud.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 7:07pm
We'll be leaving in a couple of weeks to go cross-country again to visit our daughters and grandchildren. We will be able to do a good test also. We both have AZ and UT in our plans. It would be quite a coincidence if we were to see each other out there. Big smile
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 6:45pm
The $12 cheap kit at HD, that came with the piezoelectric pushbutton. I like the long electrodes that marwayne put in, but I couldn't find any that were cheap.  

Now that it's in, it's all working well.  We'll see how it does when we leave for AZ and UT next week for a couple weeks of dry camping.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 5:56pm
Fred, did you get the battery operated spark generator or the piezoelectric spark generator?
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3940414243 58>