R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

ouR escaPOD mods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 58>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ouR escaPOD mods
    Posted: 21 May 2019 at 11:37am
We have been talking about switching our "wardrobe closet" into a closet with shelves (like Vann & Laura's). We've never been able to utilize the space when hanging clothes, so we think it's time to bite the bullet and go the shelf route.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Pod People View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 8:58am
We removed the rod in the wardrobe and added wire shelves for clothing storage.  We added a rod in the bathroom for hanging clothes.

the rod is easily removable if we want to use the shower.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 10:03pm
It's always best to get one's wife's approval.  The more they like their Pod, the more they will go camping with you.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 8:35pm
I may have mis-stated it. My wife was in favor of adding the divider/shelf as long as the closet rod remained so she could hang things up. I don't know how much weight the shelf would carry. It is more of a divider so she can put things below it without having to move shirts and things out of the way. The picture does not show the rod that is above where the picture cuts off.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 3:34pm
Looks nice StephenH, but boy, I would be doing any thing like that without getting my wife to agree.  Colombian women have very, very long memories.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 2:11pm
One other thing I have seen done is to remove the closet rod and add shelves. My wife did not want that, but I found a shelf at our ReStore (I think--might have been Goodwill) that is the same type as the one above the bed, but shorter. I thought that it would be good for the wardrobe.

Turns out it was good for length, but the width was too wide. I did some measuring and marked off a line on the slats and cut them. Then I knocked the short stubs out of the one channel and cleaned out the old glue. Using carpenter's glue, I glued the side piece on the slats and it was now the right width, almost.  I had to notch out the ends of the side pieces to fit around the molding inside the wardrobe. Turns out I only needed to notch both on side-wall end but only one on the door end. I set it so that the top of the shelf was 7" above the floor which is just the distance my wife needs to stow a couple of her bags. There is still room to hang shirts but not long coats. They would travel on a rod in the truck if we need to carry them.

StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 10:19pm
This is the other modification inspired by Vann. Thumbs Up
One thing the RP179 lacks is full-width storage. When my wife and I visited Vann, he showed me not only the water pump move he had done, but the modification he had made to take advantage of the water pump no longer being in the way. He had made his storage full-width. Thanks to his example, I have now done the same.

I built a frame to go across in front of the water heater, just in front of the gas line going through the floor. This was attached to the side wall, floor, and to the plywood that was dividing the storage area after marking and cutting out the wood to make an opening. I then put a piece of thin lauan plywood to divide the storage area from the water heater area.  I had treated the plywood with a couple of coats of clear polyurethane since it did not have the finish of the other wood lining the storage area. Since I no longer need to use my access hatch to get to where  the water pump used to be, I fastened it down and put another piece of hinge in place to stabilize the bed top when I lift the part needed to get to the utilities section. The only part remaining  to be done is to make a better prop rod for when Iift the bed to get in to the storage areas and utilities.

Now for the pictures:

The long black bag is an Aldi version of a Clam. It would not have fit the bed of the Frontier because that is only 5' . It also would not have fit the previous storage. It needed the full-width storage. It fits the new full-width storage just fine. Big smile I could possibly have made the storage a bit larger, but I had already converted some of the under-bed open space to a storage bin that gets used for linens that fit the dinette area bed, so I did not want to lose that. This is adequate for our needs.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Pod People View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 7:30am
Stephen,
I'm glad this worked-and appreciate that you said I inspired you!! You have certainly inspired me and a lot of other Podders with your many improvements and modifications. Thanks!!
One major advantage of this mod is that it gives more storage space under the bed.  Now there is a clear channel all the way across the entire width of the pod for long storage-we keep our RDome there. It could alos be used for anything long-collapsible ladder, fishing poles, etc.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by Ben Herman

Can't see your photos unfortunately!

Try again. I host my own photos and I had the computer shut down for a bit of maintenance. You should be able to see them now.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ben Herman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 9:05pm
Can't see your photos unfortunately!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 58>