R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

ouR escaPOD mods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 58>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote larrys39426 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ouR escaPOD mods
    Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 11:35pm
I envy you your energy and creativity! Enjoy reading your posts, and maybe I'll be inspired to actually do some modifications -- like replacing the overly soft seat cushions and modifying the bathroom lavatory -- one of these days.Smile
sailor323 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sailor323 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 12:14am
Very nice awning!  I may steal this
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 9:37am
Originally posted by sailor323

Very nice awning!  I may steal this

No need to steal. I posted it in the hopes that it would be useful to others. If you do use the idea, please let me know and post pictures. I have benefited from what others have done before me. I am just trying to contribute something that will be useful to others also.

The awning material part is based on memories of an awning my parents had when I was young. The support system is my idea though, especially the idea of using the bottom rail and the pins I made to hold the support poles. I'll be giving it a good test this summer so I will be able to see how it works during our planned trips.

Edit: My wife said that part of it is "creative recycling." Examples are turning the material of the bedspread into new curtains and using the fiber/foam from the original mattress to replace the soft foam in the cushions. Big smile
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2016 at 4:14pm
Here is one I just completed. I wondered why Forest River left so much room behind the drawers beneath the sink in our 179. It did not seem to make sense to have so much wasted space. I decided to do something about it.

I really could not do much with the top drawer as the sink drain would interfere with making the top drawer any larger. I modified the middle and bottom drawer, adding 3 inches in depth to both of them. I disassembled them and reused the front and back of the drawer pieces. I could not find 3/8" plywood, so I got 1/2" plywood and notched it so that the total width of the drawer would remain the same. My table saw came in handy for this project as well as a pneumatic nail gun. Since I could not reuse the drawer bottoms, I used 1/4" Lauan plywood. I used carpenter's glue in addition to the nails on the corners. Since I reused the front and back, I did not have to worry about placement of the screw holes for the faceplate.

For the slides, I realized that the original holes would place the mounting screws near the faceplate and in the middle of the drawer, leaving the back end unsupported. I drilled a hole in the slide parts that attach to the drawers near the back. I used some extra screws to place one in the middle where the original screws would have been. This should provide better support for the drawer and increased strength.

Here's a picture of the bottom drawer. The middle drawer is the same. Both are 3" longer than the original drawers.

The drawers were finished with 3 coats of Minwax semi-gloss clear polyurethane spray. They are getting their 24 hours of rest now before loading them up.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
WillG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote WillG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2016 at 7:09pm
Why do you need a slide out cover? I'm a new owner and assume it is water proof....   is it to keep leaves and debris out? 
R-Podder by process of elimination
2014 RP179
2011 GMC CrewCab Short Bed
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2016 at 11:09pm
Bingo! It isn't because of leaks, but partly to keep leaves and debris off the top and partly to shade the top of the slide-out which should reduce the amount of heat gained. The same applies to the awning on the door side. It should shade the side of the R-Pod some, plus when it rains, we stay dry when we go out or come in. We've had a chance to test it as it has rained on our current trip. It works well. I did have to adjust the supports so the center is one notch above the two ends. That helps keep water from pooling on the awning.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
nsl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote nsl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2016 at 6:07pm
Good afternoon. After trying different step stools,etc. with our r-pod, I knew we needed a double step. Jayco's pod style camper comes with a double step. (Smart)

After doing some research, I found the pod forum and was really glad to see that other people wanted to double step too! I ordered one from Camping World and it should be here early next week.

I do not have the capability to fabricate the metal things you did but there are 3 metal fabricators in my area. That should do the trick.

Also, I use a CPAP machine too. After looking at the shelf you built above the bed (I have a model 180) is there any problem with hitting your head as you get into/out of the bed? Just wondered. Smile

Thanks for you ideas!!  NSL
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2016 at 1:07am
Some people use washers instead of the shims I made. I just wanted something more solid.

I really don't have a problem hitting my head on the shelf. It sits high enough and back far enough so that it has not been a problem. The bigger problem is crawling over my wife if she gets into bed first or if I have to get up during the night.

I hope my ideas have been useful for you.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
sailor323 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sailor323 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2016 at 9:20am
Originally posted by StephenH

The bigger problem is crawling over my wife if she gets into bed first or if I have to get up during the night.

Yeah, that is a problem.  We sleep with our heads on the closet side in order to make it easier to get in and out of bed easier.
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2016 at 6:06pm
I'll suggest that to my wife. It might work better for us also.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 58>