R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

List Your Mods:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536 77>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote marspball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: List Your Mods:
    Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by techntrek

marspball, you may be able to find a 12 volt line run for lighting that you can tap, instead of running a new one.

I was thinking about doing that. But I notice that the cable running to the back is only 14 gauge. will it be powerful enough to run the lights plus tv and charge phone? The tv is only about 3.5 amps, phone is 1-2amp and lights maybe another 1amp?  If tapping the existing wire is safe, then that's a perfect solution for me.
Cap-n-Cray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Cap-n-Cray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 9:39pm
14 gauge is 15 AMPS, 12 gauge is 20 AMPS...
Cary
2014 RP-177
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 10:04pm
That is only true at 120 volts.

15 amps over just 10 feet on 14 gauge gives a 7.9% voltage drop, too much.  You have to get down to 9.5 amps before you hit 5% which is still pushing it for 12 volts.  Add a few more feet of wire and those percentages go up quickly.

If you have LED lights you are fine, they use about 0.1 amp per "bulb".  Incandescents use about 1.1 amps per bulb.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
subter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote subter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by GaryF

I have a 2014 182G bought in Dec. last year so only have one season to work on it but did make several significant changes. 
Put Selenium magnet (from Home Depot) on the handle on the door over sink and put another flat magnet on ceiling. now when you open door, it stays open! 
Sawed the cover over the heater/water pump in two so that the entire dinette cushions don't have to be removed for access. 
Put velcro on back cushions to keep them in place. 
Put Velcro on TV remote and mounted it next to the entertainment center in the open area. 
Also mounted a hook in the other empty area for keys. 
Added two sewer hose storage tubes under frame for additional hoses. 
Put lifter on lower bunk platform for easier lifting to access storage. 
Made 2' by 2' cover for stove to increase counter work surfaces. 
Replaced all lamps with LED's. 
Replaced 20# LP tank with 30#. 
Bought a 32" Flat screen to keep permanently in the outside kitchen, it makes for a "drive in" feeling at nite! 
Added swing-a-way foot on tongue jack. 
Added hideaway drawers to dinette table. 
Permanently mounted C-3 battery charger to outlet under dinette for charging C-3 batteries for drill, ratchet for levelers and hand vacuum. 
Best mod has been the addition of wall mounted fireplace on dinette wall. Great ambiance plus "free" heat as it uses site elec instead of propane. A few minutes at max heat and the TT is warm!
Finally, added 4000 watt gen. with remote(Champion) to the TT via a tongue mount.

Backpacker

Do you have pictures of the mods?  They sound interesting.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2015 at 2:00pm
Welcome.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
GaryF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GaryF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 11:06am
Thanks for the welcome! I'll try to post photos as soon as the TT comes out of hibernation! I thought it would happen by now, but here in CT it is still in the 30's!
Backpacker
techqueen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote techqueen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2015 at 11:28am
Thank you to the podder who posted about adding a foam mattress top wrapped in a duvet and folding it with fabric wraps to store in a bunk when not in use.  

I found a queen sized 2" foam topper on sale at Bed, Bath and Beyond with a 20% off coupon, found a twin duvet cover (just wide enough and long enough to slip over the whole thing) and tried it out this past weekend!

It is FABULOUSLY more comfortable to sleep on the 176t extended bed with it added to the rv bunk pad that came with the pod!  Bless you for this easy-to-store idea!

I also added beach towel curtains to our bunks with adjustable shower rods!  I found two oversized 72x40 matching beach towels, folded them in half and sewed across the fold about two inches down to create a "loop" in the center to slip over the rods.  This way they work as curtains OR you can slip them off to use as almost full-size towels then they dry on their rods later..double duty is my new watchword!

;0) Happy podding!
Honda Pilot plus 176T for me ;0)
blondie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote blondie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2015 at 8:55pm
How do you get a queen-sized foam top into a twin size duvet. We got a foam pad queen and tried to pull the queen fitted sheet over it. It was a disaster.

With the dinette, is it better just to use sleeping bags over the cushions? I am in my 60's and my back freezes up.
techqueen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote techqueen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2015 at 11:52am
The twin duvet cover is 66 inches wide by 80 inches in length so it can cover a comforter for a twin bed instead of fitting a twin mattress. Our queen topper is 60 inches wide and 2 inches in height so the duvet cover slips over it and buttons closed at the bottom with a few inches in length to spare. I leave the bed pad (short queen) that came with the Rpod uncovered and just put the covered mattress topper over it.
techqueen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote techqueen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2015 at 11:59am
I must admit getting the duvet on the first time was a challenge but I folded the foam in thirds, slipped it into the center of the duvet then unfolded the sides and shook it a bit to settle it in.

Originally I just threw a flat sheet over the Rpod bed pad and tucked the edges under as best I could. This would work on the dinette cushions as well in a pinch. The covered topper takes care of it all pretty well.

As for using sleeping bags...I am not fond of sleeping in one so I unzipped ours all the way and used it as a comforter. If cold enough, I can unzip two and layer them. Sleeping bags are easy to store since they roll up nicely and I can toss them in a bunk.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536 77>