R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

List Your Mods:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5152535455 77>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Cap-n-Cray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: List Your Mods:
    Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 12:27am
Jonknite can you post more photos of your install. Great job and idea. I though of making a type of shim, but your way is better...Big smile
Cary
2014 RP-177
kkomorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kkomorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 11:28am
Jonknite - where did you get the window?

Did you consider a slider?

Doing that in the spring. Such a sweet adder. It's like a dungeon in the Pod during the day.

Thanks!

KK
Jonknite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jonknite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 11:30am
Doug,
Can you recommend a good cover?
fwunder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fwunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 12:26pm
Wow Jonknite. Great work on that window! Brave!

This is the cover I bought (December 2013) for my 178. Still in good shape:

fred

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
Jonknite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jonknite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 12:49pm
For those that asked, here are the details of my dinette window add-on. 
I got the window from Hehr International in Indiana. It is from their 5900 series. They have any
size you want and you can get them with or without sliders, tinted etc. I chose a fixed window.
If you look at the picture of the R-Pod framework below you can see the bottom rib that I used (Black Arrow). I cut through the middle rib (Blue Arrow) and added a rib below the Red Arrow.
You could have a window as high as the red arrow.

Once the window arrived (took 3-4 weeks) I traced the outline onto cardboard to make a template for the frame. I set the pencil so that the outline was about 1/8" bigger all around. To compensate for the curvature of the Pod I made the frame 2 1/4" high. This way the window will be sealed against a flat surface inside and out. I then made a gluing jig for the frame 3/4" smaller than the template as I was using 3/4" pine for the frame.

I traced the four rounded corners onto 2X4's and cut them with a bandsaw. I then cut the 1X3" Pine (trimmed to 2 1/4" wide) pieces to fit between the round corners. I used a good quality exterior wood glue and clamped the whole thing against the jig. I then sanded the whole thing smooth with the following result.

The plywood shims were added because the glass side of the window has a smaller ID than the inside frame and I didn't want it to shift while I installed the window. I then painted it with black Rust-Oleum to match the window frame.

I cut a hole on the inside of the POD at about the center point of the window location so that i could accurately find the lower rib. I then cut along the bottom rib as my starting point. Next hold the finished frame against the wall with the bottom lined up with the lower rib and trace around the frame. A jig saw with a short blade was then used to cut out the rest of the wall. I used a short blade so it wouldn't penetrate the outer wall.

Next I used a pencil to transfer the inner cut to the outside wall  and cut that out with a longer blade.

Now I glued in a 36" long rib between the inner and outer wall at the top of the hole to give stability to the walls and to have a strong anchor point for the top of the frame. I used high strength construction adhesive.

Next I inserted the frame and screwed it to the bottom and top ribs as well as the ends of the middle (blue arrow) rib that was cut with the hole.

I then applied a liberal amount of silicone caulk to the outside and ran a nice bead on the inside to seal the whole thing up. It was then a simple matter to install the window according to the manufacturers directions.

Shelpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Shelpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 1:18pm
Could you reuse the cut out for a cover for the window?  That would maintain the r-pod decal.  You would have to build a frame for that also but it is an idea.
Pod: 2013 178
TV: 2014 Explorer Limited with tow package
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 9:05pm
The cover I'm referring to is a hard cover over the window.  You'll have to custom match one to your window.  I think you were smart to order a solid window to prevent leaking going down the road.  There is a lot of air pressure on that surface.

I could see mounting a window above the red arrow for more of a skylight feel.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
grand beaver View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote grand beaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 6:35pm
....I built an air deflector for the heater.

....Installed looking down from the top.

From the front.

....Added a wire shelf over the bed.......
NutPod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote NutPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 7:21pm
Hey Groupie I like what you built to redirect the air flow from the heater but can you tell me how hot it gets being that close to the furnace. I built something out of ducting metal and it gets very hot and I'm not sure I like that.
I find that Forest River should have vented the heat out the front of the bed instead of underneath the bed. We just got the R-Pod 180 and when camping in the Rockies for a week and had to use the furnace every night and found the furnace airflow needed to be redirected to get heat to the other side of the Pod.
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote Leo B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 8:21pm
That is a really great window mod!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5152535455 77>