R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

List Your Mods:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5556575859 77>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote M&M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: List Your Mods:
    Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 3:17pm
Good Afternoon mooremg1, I like the idea of replacing the outlet with one that has the USB ports. Is changing the outlet as simple as changing a home outlet? (silly question but we're new to the whole RV thing :))
2017 179 "Big Sexy"
2012 Honda Pilot
timpamt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote timpamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 3:21pm
Looks great Sue and Mike!

We have the same model, purchased July of this year. We've been calling it a 2017 - but perhaps it really is a model 2016.5, since they are calling the blue ones 2017's!
We did the cutting board thing for our stove, and built a shelf for the wall behind the stove (see photo).
We put up a new bracket for the tv too.
I have a new shower head and hose to install - haven't yet.
I had two tanks installed with an automatic cutover valve - just so I will have a full tank on hand when the first one runs out.
I'm going to put a lift kit under mine - hopefully this weekend - to make it 4" higher.
I thought about that sewer tube - can't decide between that and the 5" plastic fence post method. I'm having trouble finding a black 5" plastic fence post cover though - so I"ll probably buy the tube. I'm disappointed though, as I was going to put two under there and store my folding ladder in one of them.
Do you have the R-Dome? We're having trouble with it pulling out of the rail - so I have my vice-grips ready to pinch it down a bit, as described elsewhere. However, we purchased a Pahque awning, and it fits perfectly in the rail, so I'm going to have to be careful not to make it so small the Pahaque cover doesn't work.
Bought a Classic Accessories cover this week and we're going to winterize it this weekend, put in the lift kit, and then park it. We may be tempted to take it out for a long weekend or two this winter - the heater works great!
Tim and Pam
2017 R-Pod 179 - "Little Bear"
2014 Toyota Tacoma Crew Cab
mooremg1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mooremg1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 3:35pm
There were a couple of small surprises with the outlet replacement but they were easily overcome.  The original outlet was designed so that you pressed the individual wires into a slot which cuts into the insulation like some kinds of no strip connectors.  I assume they do this for speed of assembly but it requires you to strip back the romex jacket then strip the individual conductors to attach them to the screws of the new outlet which adds a minute or two to the process.  The second thing was that original outlet is pressed into the hole in the cabinet and is held in place with plastic tabs rather than mounting screws - probably also for speed of installation.  There is plenty of room for some wood screws to hold the new outlet in place and I was able to re-use the wall plate although that required some pressing to get the tabs to catch in the new outlet.  I used a black Lutron outlet and it fit through the existing hole with little room to spare.  Some brands have large bodies that may not fit through without enlarging the hole to you might want to measure first.  The Lutron charges our iPhones very quickly and I bought a black 1 foot charge cable to avoid lots of cabling dangling around the door area and the risk of pulling your device onto the floor.  
Sue and Mike

2022 Grand Design 23LDE
2017 Ford Expedition Platinum
2017 r-pod 179 (for sale)
2018 Chevrolet Traverse LT (sold)
mooremg1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mooremg1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 3:44pm
Yes we have the R-Dome and haven't had any trouble sliding it in or out of the kedder.  Prior to using the R-Dome the first time I took a file and removed the sharp edges and burrs at the end of the kedder rail to avoid snagging the R-Dome when we put it up.  We have the Classic Accessories cover too and after winterizing the camper and giving it a good wash we're going to store it under the cover for the Winter.  I'd love to get in another camping trip or two but we're in the middle of building a new house and there are just not enough hours in the day.  

Good luck with installing the lift kit.  Ours came with one already installed and it's hard for me to visualize how low the camper would ride without it.  

Where is shelf photo you mentioned, I don't see it.
Sue and Mike

2022 Grand Design 23LDE
2017 Ford Expedition Platinum
2017 r-pod 179 (for sale)
2018 Chevrolet Traverse LT (sold)
voisj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote voisj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 12:59pm
Dbrimm,
I'm working on installing an inverter, Main reason is a hair dryer and i have a 2000 lying around.

Looks like you installed the transfer switch on the main 10 gauge (orange) input wire, and all the 110v lines still run out the back of the original main panel.
My question is,
If the transfer switch is pulled are you then powering the main panel from the inverter?
Or are you just powering an elec outlet circuits?

My thought is that if I power the whole elec main, the controller will be trying to charge the batteries from the inverter when ever its in use. So i would be going-- 
    12v house battery to  12v inverter 110v  to  controler 110v to  12v house battery charging in a loop?
Any thoughts would help!
RGDS John

SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

dbrimm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote dbrimm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by voisj

Dbrimm,
I'm working on installing an inverter, Main reason is a hair dryer and i have a 2000 lying around.

Looks like you installed the transfer switch on the main 10 gauge (orange) input wire, and all the 110v lines still run out the back of the original main panel.
My question is,
If the transfer switch is pulled are you then powering the main panel from the inverter?
Or are you just powering an elec outlet circuits?

My thought is that if I power the whole elec main, the controller will be trying to charge the batteries from the inverter when ever its in use. So i would be going-- 
    12v house battery to  12v inverter 110v  to  controler 110v to  12v house battery charging in a loop?
Any thoughts would help!
RGDS John

Hi John,

Yes I installed the transfer switch on the main input wire and so yes when the inverter (or genset) is running it's feeding the whole panel (including the built in charger).

If I want to avoid what you're describing I can just flip the breaker to the converter off on the panel and that seems to do the trick. I don't usually bother though since I only run the inverter occasionally and sparingly, for things like running the coffee pot for 10 minutes, or the wifes hair dyer, etc. The converter/charger only draws a few amps (it's very low powered) so in the short time I run the inverter for those big devices the charger can just draw it's extra 3-5A and not effectively affect anything.

Hope this helps and hope I haven't forgotten anything.

Thanks,
Dave
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by voisj

Dbrimm,

Running that much wattage from a 12 volt system is a bad idea, and even a few minutes will put a huge drain on the battery and you'll have a large amperage drop while you are doing it.  Figure on 100 amps at 12 volts, which again is way too much.  You need a 24 or 48 volt system for that (2000 watt inverters and higher).
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
voisj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote voisj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 9:44pm
Iv'e Been using the 2000w inverter in my truck ( Diesel with two batteries) for years to power saws, drills and the like on a ranch for fence repair , and I do need to fire the truck up a few times during the day to keep it going full strength, Moving it to the Pod (with two Batteries) for just a hair drier for a few minutes shouldn't cause any issues IMHO, If need be i'll just start my truck and run it for awhile and charge things back up. I suppose If I had it i may watch a DVD on the TV for movie night. 
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

kkomorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kkomorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2016 at 10:35am
Where did you order the window from, and what color glass is it? Does it match the "tint" of the stock windows?

Need the exact make and model number. Having trouble tracking this down...

Thanks.

KK
Jonknite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jonknite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2016 at 12:08pm
KK,

The window is a 5900 series from Hehr International in Indiana.

http://www.hehrintl.com/pdf/5900SERIES.pdf

As you can see any tint level is available. The one I got was the 5981 (laminated)
I got the 11 3/6" X 35 5/8", but bigger ones would easily fit. The key is using the same bottom frame member I did and working up and out from there. Since the wood frame for the window ties all the R-Pod frame members together it is as strong or stronger than the original. 

The Hehr people are VERY helpful in getting you what you need. Hope this helps. 

Jonknite

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5556575859 77>