Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2 kids and a Jeep- 172 vs 176 vs 178 vs a-frame

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2 kids and a Jeep- 172 vs 176 vs 178 vs a-frame
    Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 4:42pm
We're shopping for our first camper.  I'm limited to 3500#max with my 2015 Jeep wrangler 4 door.  I was heading the direction of a Rockwood A122SXR rigid pop up, but the lack of bathroom is really bugging me.  The Rpod 172 is actually shorter, lighter, and has a bath and bunks for the boys (aged 4 and 6).  I know it's small inside, but I'm really just looking for a rolling sleeping box with heat/ac/bath.  Of course the 178 with slide is way nice inside, but is 2' longer and 400#'s more.

So... is the slide worth it if you're on the verge of weight limit?  With the lighter 172 I could load it up and not worry about a full water tank if going off the grid at a buddy's property.

How are the bunks for two small kids and parents on the dinette vs the 178 layout with a real queen for us and a dinette for the boys in sleeping bags?

Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 6:38pm
Welcome to the group!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 10:15pm
Welcome.  Personally I wouldn't buy a camper w/o a slide.  I've had campers with and w/o, and I've been in campers of all sizes with and w/o.  A little extra width makes a big difference.

You can handle the 178, but don't fill the water tank with more than a few gallons (for on-road bathroom use) since you'll be withing a few hundred pounds of your limit as it is.  Either pod will affect your mpg identically while towing, since frontal area (drag) is the same and is what dictates how much gas you burn on flat terrain.  Weight comes into play going up hills, with extra weight making you slower and slightly lowering your mpg compared to a lighter trailer.

That said, upgrading to a TV with a higher tow rating would ultimately be better.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
computerfixitguy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 11:32pm
Welcome !

I have a 2015 Rubicon 4 door and it was the deciding factor at 3500 lbs, however that seems to be not right given its 5000 in Europe for the same car.  My family and I drove to Iowa to get a 176T in June.  Couldn't be happier.  If you have the time I recommend the drive for you as it will save you thousands, which is what they charge to get a trailer hauled to Virginia.  You could rent locally before you buy, but I told myself I would never own a popup (for wind), it would have to be a hardside.  The RPod is the biggest, nicest, feature rich trailer that my Jeep will pull.

The Jeep makes it over the Continental Divide without issue.  Turns out there is a different 7 pin wiring harness and software upgrade you will need to plug in the Jeep.  My dealer did the whole thing for $240 installed, but the instructions have the cable going in the wheel well (seriously, Chrysler instructions !).  I did get a sway bar hitch and I need to get the RPOD risers installed on the RPOD, you can order yours with them.  The pitch is wrong, so either the hitch goes down (bad) or the trailer goes up.  The Forest River editions have these on them that are made in Oregon, but those will really cost you to ship.

The RPOD is really big when your buying one and really small when you own one if you get what I mean.  I have two kids and when we are all crammed in there the bunks (176t has bunks) is the best place to be for both the kids and the dogs. Big dogs are space takers, my pug not so much.  Bathroom is workable.  I use the shower head outside to wash dishes.  One of my favorite features is the sliding window at the sink so I can pass dishes in to my wife without walking around.  I can see why a lot of couples are happy with their RPOD and if it were my wife and I, we would probably have a 179.  Its like travelling in the front section of a submarine I suppose.

That being said, because its so short, it goes everywhere.  Wouldn't give that up for anything.  I see people come into campsites and can't fit what spots the forest service has with their Suburban and giant envy causing dual axle triple slideout toy hauler !  I keep telling myself I don't want one of those.  We use the RDome like its going out of style.  That nearly doubles the living space.  Look at pictures.  We drop the plastic rug and I can get the rdome in place by myself in about 5 minutes.  Best bug tent ever. I use bungee cords to secure it, not the suction cup hooks.  I really like the RDome, but others here aren't as impressed as I am.

Storage space requires an open mind, were doing just fine with shoe organizers and my wifes fruit hammock.  I have bought for the trailer, a solar panel 200W, (too big) 2 generators (for AC), replacement toilet (composting), new stabilizers (trailer not high enough), and custom mattresses because the OEM ones are, well, um, great for kids sleep overs !  

We love ours, its been a great addition to our family, now if my dog was smaller.

Derek
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 7:53am
We bought the 179 because we liked the queen bed and the large kitchen. The slide-out makes a big difference. We also have a vehicle (ford Escape SE with factory tow package) that has a 3500 lb. towing limit. So far, it has towed very well on flat land and moderate hills. It was a challenge on a "Virginia Scenic byway" heading up to the last section of the northern end of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Things were wanting to overheat until I remembered to turn the air conditioner off. After that, we were okay. It was still a challenge for the Escape, but I really can't afford to change right now. Eventually, I would rather have a truck or an SUV with a diesel, but we are making do with what we have.

We don't have the R-Dome. I made a slide-out cover and awning that work well for us. It is, after all, just the two of us. Perhaps someday, it will also be a grandchild or two occasionally. However, they live too far away for it to be more than an occasional thing.

The R-Pod resides on our driveway when we are not using it. It will also serve as our guest cottage if we should need it for that purpose.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 8:38am
I would upgrade my tow vehicle before I would own another camper without a slide.
zimm View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 10:59am
Well the tow vehicle isn't going to change for a few years. I'm really going back and forth between an Rpod (man a bathroom would be nice!), a pop up (a-frame or soft sided), or what I used last weekend, which was a utility trailer and a sears x-cargo rooftop carrier strapped inside holding all of our camping gear. Screen porch, 6 man tent, grill, stove. I really just missed having a potty for the 2am call and a shower would be nice staying out more than a day.
kent l View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2016 at 12:29am
I have a 2015 178 r-pod and a 2012 Jeep Rubicon with 4.10 gears . It works well as a tow vehicle I have not had any problems with it.  I have 35 inch tires and a 2.5 AEV lift on the jeep. I was worried about the sway and the weight distribution so I bought and Anderson hitch. The hitch takes care of the sway and with weight distribution issues and the sway with the wind. I also have generator a tray with a 3100 watt generator out on the tongue of the trailer that added 150 lbs  to the tongue weight. I have pulled my trailer to Grand Targhee Wyoming, Green river lakes Wyoming and over many mountain passes on my way back to Utah. I live in the mountains with lots of elevation change and steep mountain roads. 
I don't think you will have any problem on the flat ground back east with a 178. The room with the slide out is the only way to go with kids.

kent l View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2016 at 12:40am
kent l View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2016 at 12:46am
uploads/5315/IMG_0177.JPG Here is a pic of my Jeep and the 178
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>