R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTexman 182g Mods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 33>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Texman 182g Mods
    Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 11:52am
The fan should be set to auto so only the fan on the furnace or ac will operate independently.  found the posts. 
TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
SC for Huskers View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 2:42pm
In Auto, heat, I hear a fan running somewhere. Think there are two fans in the AC unit. Like the side table. I need all the room I can get with 172. I am going to add on to the sink counter and hinge it out over the double bed I don't use. Wash a dish and have NO place to put it. Texman, in ref to equalizers. I do need them. What you think about the Equal-i-zer and JB weld a piece of break shoe between metal parts to help the anti sway? I have anti sway now but anything above 60mph I get a wiggle. I have a 1960 Cushman scooter, 2 tool boxes, two jacks, extra propane, lawn chair, ramps and a few other odds and ends in back of the truck. (95 F 150 straight 6, standard 5speed) Hitch weight is about 245. Thus I have a v shape at the hitch causing front wheels to lift.
Happy Traveling,
Tom
2017 172pod
2011 F150 STX
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 4:29pm
I'm not Texman, but I do have an Equal-i-zer hitch. Don't JB-Weld anything to it. You would be voiding your warranty. If you have an Equal-i-zer and the hitch area is still sagging with the front wheels lifting, the hitch is probably not set up properly along with having too much weight behind your rear axle. If you can't find your manual, you can download a manual for the Equal-i-zer hitch. It will give you the instructions for setting it up properly. When you are loading your truck, try to keep the heavy items in front of the rear axle. Also, 10-15% of the weight of the trailer should be on the tongue. If your trailer is 3,000 lbs, the tongue weight should be between 300 and 450 lbs.

If you are uncomfortable adjusting your hitch, you need to take it to a place with both the truck and trailer loaded as they would be on a trip. That way, when the hitch is adjusted, it will be set properly for your usual configuration. If you had it set up when you bought your R-Pod, then likely it was set up with the 'Pod empty and your truck empty also. It would not be surprising if this were the case and would explain why the hitch is under-adjusted for your usual towing configuration.

In auto heat, the fan you hear is the one in the furnace. The AC only has one fan. If it is not running, then the only other one is the furnace fan which needs to run to circulate the hot air.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 5:01pm
Thanks, but I haven't bought it yet. Like I said, I have a sway bar and it works up to 60. So I was going to get the equalizer, and main complete is it is metal on metal squeal or creaking. so if I put a brake shoe pad between the metal bar and holder, that would take care of that, and if we use them on cars, why wouldn't it work on the bar? Havent checked warranty, don't know what they guarantee the unit will do? Just trying to get the best for my money and stop any swaying at 65.   Thanks again for your input. Wish I could use the Equalizer and Sway bar. Not thrilled about chains or springs.
Later, and have a good weekend.

Happy Traveling,
Tom
2017 172pod
2011 F150 STX
texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 5:08pm
i agree with stephen on the hitch, it should take care of the front axle lifting.   If you have anti sway already, i would think it would handle the wiggle too. Sounds like your wiggle is coming from weight distribution problems more than wind or other force.  My wiggle is mainly from wind and turbulence from trucks.  otherwise, i have none at all.  If you are wiggling just from speed, it has to be weight and or some maybe worn shocks on your truck causing some bouncing.

On the dish problem, i hear you for sure.  Best thing i did was making the area between the cooktop and outside wall open for that as well as a stove cover so you can stack stuff there too.  Can you add that fold out area and still open and close the slide out?  I am not sure how your kitchen is layed out.  And yes, the heater is forced air fan with propane heat.  The fan isnt that noisy to me especially because it doesnt run that much.
TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
henryv View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 6:05pm
Texman can you give me a link to get the flying insect screens. Especially the round ones. I had an experience with mud daubers (Yea, they're called that in N and S Carolina). My furnace on my Kiwi wouldn't work. Took the inside cover off and they had built a nest on the tip of the sensor. Jayco, said "just bring it in, we'll only charge $95 and hour, can't tell ya how long we'll need it." I said "do you think I'm crazy?". Took it apart and had it working like new in 20 minutes. Havn't been back to Jayco since. Selling my Jayco Kiwi in fact. What part of Texas are you in?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 6:14pm
on the 172, the bunk beds are on the right of the front door. That is where the big drawer is going to go.

The left id the colman stove with lid, sink, and tht is it. Next is double bed. Im going to make that a pull out drawer also.

Shocks are a good idea. I have a short bed, so Half bed weight is behind the rear wheels.

What I saw on 2017 1/2 is the upper bunk folds up and latches. Neat. Since I go by myself, I thought about taking that mattress out and making that storage, with sort Tupperware, boxes. The lower I put a memory mattress, and my back killed me. Im fused from L2 down to S1. at home I have a number bed.

Thanks for the ideas.
Tom
Happy Traveling,
Tom
2017 172pod
2011 F150 STX
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 6:25pm
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 6:41pm
Mine is going to look like That. COOL !
Happy Traveling,
Tom
2017 172pod
2011 F150 STX
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by SC for Huskers

Thanks, but I haven't bought it yet. Like I said, I have a sway bar and it works up to 60. So I was going to get the equalizer, and main complete is it is metal on metal squeal or creaking. so if I put a brake shoe pad between the metal bar and holder, that would take care of that, and if we use them on cars, why wouldn't it work on the bar? Havent checked warranty, don't know what they guarantee the unit will do? Just trying to get the best for my money and stop any swaying at 65.   Thanks again for your input. Wish I could use the Equalizer and Sway bar. Not thrilled about chains or springs.
Later, and have a good weekend.

You can use the Equal-i-zer. There are two sources of noise. One is the hitch head banging in the receiver. A hitch tightener will take care of that. I found that it took care of the major part of the offensive noise. I got the StowAway hitch tightener. Now there are clones of it which are less expensive. There are also different types. Choose the one which you think will work best for you.

The other item which will quiet the hitch is the Equal-i-zer Sway Bracket Jacket. These sit on the L bracket and the bar sits on them. They are not brake material. They allow the bar to slide a little easier without the metal-to-metal contact. They take the major part of the groaning out of the turns. Equal-i-zer says that they do lessen the sway control a little, but it seems to be minimal if the hitch is set up properly.

Both of these will go a long way toward making the Equal-i-zer hitch quiet. Neither one will void the warranty.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 33>