R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOur-Pod Mods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Our-Pod Mods
    Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 7:33pm

We haven't had a chance to name it just yet so apologies to any others with the same name...

Our 2010 R-Pod 152 arrived mid-December that we bought sight-unseen. We paid a bit less than $5500 and another sum to have it delivered. We have been lusting after a trailer for several years (since 2012) and have looked at many, but none met our needs quite as well.

We were VERY happy with the condition of the trailer. While not quite new, it was obviously well-taken care of. The only thing we have a complaint about are the decals on the front, but my understanding is that a little peeling is par for the course.

First mod: Removing the upper bunk and converting some of the space to a shelf. This was pretty straightforward as I essentially kept the shelf at the same height as the bunk. The point in doing this was to have a little more relaxing room. As part of this mod, I needed to replace the corner molding as the old piece cracked. I also needed a new piece to cover the edge of the shelf. Both of these pieces came from Home Depot and are really just vinyl-covered plastic but the color is an almost perfect match. This was a pretty simple process: Remove bed, cut to size, replace shelf, and attach trim. The reality was that even the bracing was the perfect size, so I really just had to make a couple of cuts.

Second mod: Tongue box. I picked up the smaller tongue box from Harbor Freight with the intention of being able to secure 2 batteries down the road. For now, the extra space will be used for wheel chocks and such. None of the holes lined up very well though so I did need to drill some holes and use some self-tapping screws to get it in place. While the position is perfect, the single LP tank is in the way, but there is plenty of space to move the position forward and add what is needed for a second bottle. This will be a future mod. It can't really be seen in the pictures, but I used the original straps that were holding down the plastic battery box as a hold down for the internal box. I doubled over the strap and heated up a large nail to poke a hole through the strap. I then used another screw and nut on each end of the straps with a fender washer to keep it from pulling out. I used the same buckle from the original strap.

Battery cut-off switch. This also came from Harbor Freight but did require some fabrication skills to get it looking right. I removed the black center cover to have access to the small hex nut holding the handle to the switch. I then used a 1” hole-saw to create an opening for the handle and then ¼” holes for the screws. I used a rubber gasket from Ace Hardware to keep things water tight. I secured everything with a couple of ¼” by 1” screws and washers. It’s a great fit and super helpful!

A couple of other inside mods: Naturally a paper-towel holder is helpful. This one we picked up from Wal-Mart and has a ratcheting feature that keeps the paper on the roll even when moving. A few command strip hooks for jackets and towels as well as another for a trash bag right next to the stove. We also found a command strip item that while designed for a broom, is perfect for securing a flashlight in a convenient location.

While not really modifications, so to speak, we also added a few necessities like a toolkit, water filter,  dump station items (clear elbow, hoses, poop-tubes), various water adapters (Y connector, 90 degree connector, pressure regulator) and all the stuff we usually carried while tent camping.

Future mods: Grills for the vents on the driver side, bed modification to better accommodate 2 people, possibly removing the DVD player/TV, storage options that may include raising the one remaining bed a bit. Some of these things will happen over the course over the next couple of months but many more will happen once we really get a chance to use the trailer.

2010 R-Pod 152
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 8:37pm
Nice work!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 9:55pm
Nice workmanship!  Sure helps to be handy.  Where are you located?  Going podding soon maybe as I don't see any snow?
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
GlennZippy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 11:16am
Located in Colorado Springs. The weather started moving in today: 6-12 inches in the next few days. We're lucky that we still get some decent weekends to work on the pod, but most of the forest service campgrounds close until May.
2010 R-Pod 152
texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 10:55am
Thanks for Sharing!
TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2017 at 5:52pm
So it was in the upper 40's today so I pulled the Pod out of storage and did a mod!

We tend to migrate towards boon-docking and have pretty good systems in place from years of tent camping. But since we may be out for a week or more we wanted to have a pair of tanks instead of the standard single.

Our 2010 152 had the bracket welded in place, so I had to break out the grinder and go after the welds on the square part of the bracket. I left the cross-pieces to add a little stability to the new tank bracket. After about 30 minutes I had the 2 curb-side welds taken care of, and then manhandled the bracket off. After a bit more grinding to smooth out the driver side and remove some rust I hit the clean, shiny metal with some black spray paint. Once it was dry, I test-fit the bracket (from Manchester Tank via my local Camping World). I had to add a couple of holes to the bracket as the holes for the strap from the previous bracket (the strap was held on with bolts) didn't match up. After that, a pretty simple process of tightening bolts and nuts and then it was finished.

The hardest part was grinding off the old bracket, but it seems like Forest River is now bolting them on at any rate. Eventually I will add a dual regulator as well, but for now, I'll switch tanks and hope that it's not raining when it needs it. (Naturally it will be pouring at that time...)

2010 R-Pod 152
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2017 at 9:38pm
Very nice mod.  We plan to come out your way in September to RMNP; it is our favorite NP. Noticed you have a blue rhino tank.  You can do much better if you can find a hardware store that will fill you tank and only charge for the amount added.  Normally they can fill the tank with 20 lbs of propane which is 4.7 gallons.  Blue Rhino on the other hand will charge more and you will find out if you weigh it when you get home you will only get 15 lbs of propane or 3.6 gallons or put it another way you are only getting 75% of your tank filled.  Where I live in Michigan I can get 20 lbs for $ 16.50, down the road 400 yards if I go to the gas station where they have Blue Rhino I will pay $22.95 for only 15 gallons. 
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2017 at 9:21am
We are more Yellowstone type of people but RMNP is beautiful. We were there last Labor Day.

That tank is actually empty. I have several others but when you are having a party and run out after your normal place is closed, you do what you must!  Wink
2010 R-Pod 152
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2017 at 10:46am
Since you live in Colo Springs, what is the road like out to Canon City and Gunnison?  OK for a rPod?  I don't particularly like I-70.  With a trailer the bypass around Denver is around $28 to go north.
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2017 at 11:34am
From the Springs to Canon City is not bad at all. A little twisty in parts but it's not a super big elevation difference. Highway 115 runs right along side Fort Carson and there's not a ton of services until you hit Highway 50. Passing lanes are here and there and watch out for motorcycles: The riders are typically young and stupid in that area.

Once you hit 50, it's a decent road but it does get pretty twisty, but is a good road with frequent passing lanes when it's not 4 lanes. Going in to Salida is one of my favorite stretches. Drop. Dead. Amazing. Surrounded by 14,000 foot mountains. One of my favorite spots.

Heading out of Salida up Monarch pass is a bit of a haul as the passing lanes are less frequent. Still, it's manageable as the amount of traffic drops off. Over the pass, it is pretty bendy and the passing lanes increase as you approach the stretch into Gunnison. It flattens out though nicely about 15 miles before you reach town.

I would have no hesitation about going that way. Another alternative is to head north from Poncha Springs to Buena Vista and then pick up 24 to the Springs. This can be crowded on weekends though.
2010 R-Pod 152
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>