R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOur-Pod Mods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Our-Pod Mods
    Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 8:45am
Sorry! Just saw this!

You have to take the top deck part of the bunk off to find the screws. I used a selection of smallish pry bars to do the job. The plywood is simply nailed in and I pulled the nails out with pliers. The frame of the bunk is screwed in with a couple of different length square-drive screws. Once I cut the frame down and trimmed up one of the boards for the storage area deck, it went back in easily enough.

For the screw holes, I simply used some sandpaper to smooth them out and a little bit of sand colored silicone caulk to fill the holes. If you are in the pod and know where to look the locations can still be seen, but you really can't see them at a glance.

The corner trim does have to be removed and mine split pretty badly when it came off the wall, so I replaced it as part of the mod. Home Depot has a cherry colored vinyl-wrapped plastic series of trim that matches our colors almost perfectly!
2010 R-Pod 152
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 10:21am
Thanks, GZ, I really appreciate the reply.

The prior owner had put some rubber shelf/no slide padding on the top deck and covered everything up. I pulled it back a little and didn't see any obvious nails, so I was a little hesitant to start pulling things apart for fear of breaking something.

It looks like the finished board on the front of the bunk is just nailed on but has no structural function. I plan on using it to finish off the shelf. Since it has enough length extend from the front wall to just past the wall for the head, I thought put it over the gap in the trim so I don't have to replace it.

I was thinking of cutting the top and bottom decking in place and removing the framing for the part of the bunk I want to remove while leaving the part I want for the shelf in place, then finishing off the hole. Is that something that will work?

I'll try to post some progress pictures after I get everything done.

I also plan on installing a very tiny sink in the head using a large SS funnel, some acrylic plastic for a counter top, plastic tubing for a drain to the floor, and a slatted wood shower floor to conceal the tubing. This should give us a place to wash our hands and brush teeth away from the food preparation area.

Lots to do before draining the pinks stuff.

Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
GlennZippy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 1:10pm
Your plan sounds very similar to what I did. I saved the old piece of trim though in case I ever decided to put the bunk back in fro re-sale. I seriously doubt that will ever happen though!
2010 R-Pod 152
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 4:40pm
I thought about trying to save the parts to reuse incase I wanted to put the bunk back, but they would never survive storage in my garage and it's easy enough to go out and buy new materials.  With the bunk removed, we can still sleep 4 people in the trailer.  I can't imaging wanting to be inside such a confined space with more than 4 people anyway.  Confused
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 9:34pm
Thanks to the help of GZ, I got the upper bunk out and converted part of it into a storage shelf.  It was pretty easy to do, once I understood how the bunk was attached.  I cut top and bottom bunk plywood and removed the panels.  They're held in place by a lot of wire brads so they are easy to remove.  Luckily the cross piece closest to the cut for shelf was lined up with the wall for the bath room, so I didn't have to deal with moving it.  Removing the platform frame was a bit of a hassle because the screws holding it onto the forward wall were impossible to remove with a drill motor.  They were long phillips head screws that were about 3" long.  I ended up cutting out the wood around the screw heads and using a vice grip.

Once the bunk was out, I reused the bottom finished plywood to finish the top and cut the facia to fit the open edge.  I used little brass nails around the edge and some molding glue.  There was some 5/8" edge trim around the plywood on the bottom of the bunk that I reused to finish the edges of the plywood I added to the top surface of the shelf.  The same plywood is under the shelf as well.  

Once the frame was exposed, it was a matter of taking it out.
Here's the finished product:
I filled the screw holes in the wall with some tan caulk I happened to have laying in the garage.

The total cost for this project $0 as all materials were things I had laying around in the garage.

I also put in a folding table that I bought at Costco.  The nice thing about the table is that it is smaller than the stock one.  I put a base and post to hold the table so we're not fighting table legs.  I removed the table legs from the stock table and put a base on it too.  Now we have 2 table tops that attach to a post and no clutter under the table.  Also, the Costco table can be used outside as a coffee table with the short folding legs.

Finally, I added a bamboo shower mat in the wet bath.  I bought 2 so one can serve as an entry mat outside the trailer.

The next project is to add a little hand washing/tooth brushing sink in the corner of the bath.  My problem is getting at the water line behind the shower wall.  I don't want to have to take out the refrigerator to do it, so I'll probably put in a little y valve on the shower line so I can have access to water for the sink.  I plan on using a water filter faucet (I checked out ones w/o valves from marine suppliers and they cost more than the ones with the valve.  I'll use acrylic sheet plastic to make the sink counter and supports and an 8" or so stainless steel funnel for the sink.  To the bottom of that I'lll attach a drain line and run it down the wall to the drain on the floor concealed by the slats of the bath mat.  That way, I don't have to drill any holes.

So, those are my R Mods as I wait for the snow in the Sierra to become a little more manageable.  ... though it sure is pretty as seen from the Carson City side of the mountains.

Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 9:35pm
Looks like pasting Snagit Fotos into the text doesn't work.  I don't like posting fotos to outside photos sites so if you want to see any of them, send me a pm and I'll forward to them to you.
As usual, I'm lost again.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
rGod2013 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 7:51pm
Well, I'm right there again. I had so much trouble trying to post pics and text before I though I would give it a rest for a while. Now that I thought I would try again........... it's even worse. I don't understand why I have to post a pic on another web site to repost it here? I don't care much for the idea. It's obvious I don't possess the advanced computer skills necessary to properly post something on this site. Why a photo sharing web site? Seems like the way the local snail mail post office sends our local mail two hours down the road then back again for delivery. I am guessing that the pic issue has something to do with web site memory space? I really like this (rpod owner's forum) web site. Lots of good stuff. Nice people. I'll visit often but I will no longer try to post anything. I don't need that kind of aggravation. Time to take my meds now. Sorry for the rant. Good day to everyone. Keeping poding.  

lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 12:03pm
I forgot to mention:  The foam mattress for the upper and lower bunk are the same size, so I put the extra one on top of the bottom bunk.  Now, if we have an extra to throw in back of the truck in case we have to accommodate more than 4 people.

As for fotos, life is too full of other fun things to do than to worry about it.  Again, anyone who wants to see my pictures can PM me.  I'll post a note when I finish my probably very strange sink plan for the head (I come from sailboats so it ain't a bathroom to me).
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
GlennZippy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 7:32pm

Continuing the thread I started for the modifications for the R-Pod 152 my wife and I bought in November…

No pictures for this mod, but you can use your imagination. The dinette area in the 152 is even smaller than just about any other. Since I’m not a small guy (6’3” and 200 pounds) and there are times we will have three in the pod, I needed to make a bit more room. On the refrigerator side, there was a small nightstand (for lack of a better term). I removed this entirely as it had limited usefulness. I cut a bit of birch plywood I had lying around to allow me to move the table forward to give a little more bed. I also re-located the small receiver for the pin on the underside of the table to secure the table when down in the new, further forward position. The side rails also needed extending to add stability.

I had a cushion made to fill the space at the back of the pod when the existing cushions are moved forward, making for a bed that is about 10-12 inches wider for 2/3 of the length. When the bed is in its extended mode, the drawers (particularly the middle drawer) are difficult to open, but that’s a small cost for a bigger sleep space.

After a shake-down weekend we discovered that the existing cushions were tortuous to sleep on. To remedy this, I ordered a 4” memory foam topper. Although I could have likely made replacement foam with a queen-size version, the king size was actually cheaper and I figured I could possibly use the extra bits in another project. The topper cut easily with an electric knife and now the converted bed is much more comfortable.

Also on our shake-down weekend we decided that a couple of other mods were necessary. One of them was getting a flush-mount stove kit for the existing stove. We bring a coffee maker when we have power and the countertop is likely the smallest of the r-pods, so extra counter space was a must. Remember, it you are working with the propane system, do NOT have a tank hooked to the system. Removing the existing stove was easy enough: Remove the two visible thumbscrews, un-do the brass nut that connects the propane supply line. Then remove the plastic grommet at the back of the “pan” of the stove and then slip the line out after removing the three screws holding the stove in place.

I taped up the countertop to protect it and placed the recessed-mount chassis onto the tape to find the spot I liked. This can be a little fiddley as you also have to make sure that there is nothing underneath that you are hitting when you saw. Having found my spot, I traced the outline of the kit onto the tape and then shifted the kit to trace a cut line about 3/8” inside the outline. This required moving the kit several times. Once I was set, I also taped up the bottom of my jig-saw to make sure I wouldn’t scratch things up. I also had to move a few electrical bits out of the way to make sure that they were clear. This was perhaps the hardest part.

I’ve been in the construction business for 11 years so I’m not afraid of cutting things up. I can understand where some might be though. Just take your time and measure twice before cutting once. Once the opening was cut the rest was pretty straightforward. I did have to add a couple of blocks to make sure I could hit something solid with the screws to secure the kit. Then I reversed the steps to remove the stove and the project was finished!

Another thing we found was that we really needed more storage. In most R-Pods, you can add a shelf pretty easily over the bed. In the 152, this simply wouldn’t work if you wanted to use the space as a dinette from time to time. There just isn’t the room. That said, there is a touch of space just behind the cabinets that was crying out for a shelf. Making the shelf was pretty easy: Again, leftover birch plywood. The shelf is about 12”x17” and took some tweaking to get it right.

I used Minwax cherry stain to get the color. It took 3 passes and I let the stain sit for about 30 minutes each time. I then used some lacquer to give it a more durable finish. I secured it using 3 molly bolts for the side wall and a couple of screws to the side of the cabinet. Doing this required removing a small piece of trim which I them nailed back up using brads.

2010 R-Pod 152
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123