R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSLO-Pod 180 mods, John&Sue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: SLO-Pod 180 mods, John&Sue
    Posted: 01 May 2017 at 11:48am
Jacob, love to post the twin bed how to for you and will do it as soon as I get back to the west coast. I'm wandering the Appalachians,and should be home in a week or two,and if you didn't find the " twin bed mod" search for it,there is more info there.
rgds john

SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

CLynn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 5:53pm
 Thanks for the detailed postings! Nice job on all the work!
I've been looking at the undercarriage spare tire carriers online and came up with the same one you did. (BAL Model# 28218?) Do you have enough ground clearance after installing? Just picked up RP 180 a few weeks ago-1st TT, so very green at this point! The forum has been super helpful.
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 9:56am
Clynn,
 Congrats on the new 180! 
 On the 180 the undermount carrier goes in front of the pods tires with no effect on the ground clearance.
 The model # I installed was 28215

Check chetc's post for a good how to. 

I read it and then bought one and installed it using his instructions.  Only change was the hood River had
 wider tires so I had to lower both brackets. There's a picture in on page 1 of this tread.
rgds John
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA

CLynn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 12:35pm
Thanks for the info! Appreciate the help!
CountryBoyCityGirl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2017 at 11:42am
Love your mods! We have the same model and have some questions: What brand box did you get to house your dual battery system? Where did you purchase it? Was it easy to switch to dual propane tanks?

2008 Land Rover LR2 HSE
1999 Ford Expedition 4x4
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
2018 R-Pod 180 "Bandit"
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 11:18am
CBCG,
I bought the box at harbor freight $69 on sale with a 25% off coupon, Drilled a 4" hole in the rear with a small vent screen for venting any gas build up, And also upsized the wires from the battery to the pod. I then drilled a hole for the wires and put a waterproof box connector on the box for the wire to go through and did the 4 position shutoff switch($12 ebay) at the same time.
 And I got the dual tank mount at my local RV place for $19, I used all the stock regulator so it's a very easy install. The tank needed to move forward for the battery box to fit so the dual tank set up (which I love) just made sense to do at the same time. 
The box is nice and I use it store the chocks, a jack,tire lug wrench and the sewer elbow.
 On the heat deflector,  I'm keeping mine even though we have twin beds now, You could download the drawings and take it to any sheetmetal shop. I kept the drawers under the mattress mod and would still need it if i go back. I am in a re-design on the twin bed mod, I love the extra floor space up the middle but think I want to do something like this for sleeping and would need it if I did.
                                                                                                                                                                                                            Did it!

rgds John
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA

Our-podMV View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 9:44pm
John, I echo my new friends here in thanking you for all you've showed us here. We just got our RP 180 a few weeks ago. Have had it out twice and love it! Looking forward to taking some of your advise into action!!!

Ken
Thanks! Ken
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 11:34pm
Our-podmv,
Thanks for the kind words!, And congratulations on the new 180!. These things are the perfect get away toy, just enough space without hauling around a house. We like the 180 floor plan and IMHO think it's the best one. Looking forward to seeing things you do to it and stealing ideas :) And since your just down south maybe we will see you out on one of our favorite playgrounds, Joshua Tree and Anza Borrego.
Cheers, John

SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA

Longtrail View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 2:47pm
Awesome mods! Thanks for sharing.

Where did you get the spare tire holder?

Luke
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 7:22pm
Luke, I got it from my local RV guy for $90.if you Google BAL undermount tire carrier there's four or five people out there selling them for $90 with free shipping. Search topics for Chetc post on for a real good how to. The hood river tires are wider and you need to lower both brackets for it to work properly.
Cheers, John
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>